• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I need help.

Sasuke Hinamori

Just living life.
Years
  • Alright, I'm hopeing some of you have heard of me, you guys can call me Zoey or Rose. i know ALOT about computers and other electronics, but for once I need some help.

Okay; heres the deal. I just got a new computer. An ACER ASPIRE. And I just got some new spyware. On my computer it says its called 'SuperSpyware.' Its good for three computers, my mom says anyway, and now its to protective. It doesn't let me get on anything that can cause a viris. Like its says I can't get on xat, and my mom cant get on her pet thing on myspace. It sucks. I don't know whats going on, But please, please, please, if you can tell me a way I can fix this or give me some tips that would really help me and my mom. So please again. If you can help me.

Sasuke Hinamori

Just living life.
    Years
  • Is it a program?
    I would try The PC Decrapifier.

If it's just a virus type thing,
    try Advanced SystemCare 3.

Hope I helped.
    Just run those two programs and it should fix it.
    By the way, if it IS a program, then select it on The PC Decrapfier and it will uninstall.
    Thanks!
    I'll run this by my mom a.s.a.p She'll be thrilled. And I am to. I'll check it out right now, then ask my mom if we can do that.
    Again, thanks!

Years
  • Your "SuperSpyware" application sounds like it's posing as an anti-spyware app but in reality is actually spyware itself. I've seen this before. My personal recommendation, as I've just mentioned in another thread, is a program called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which you can download completely free here. It works better than anything I've ever seen anyone recommend before and I wouldn't recommend anything else over it.

So, if the above two programs don't work (or you just don't want to install the other two), you have another option. Good luck!

Sasuke Hinamori

Just living life.
    Years
  • Your "SuperSpyware" application sounds like it's posing as an anti-spyware app but in reality is actually spyware itself. I've seen this before. My personal recommendation, as I've just mentioned in another thread, is a program called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which you can download completely free here. It works better than anything I've ever seen anyone recommend before and I wouldn't recommend anything else over it.

So, if the above two programs don't work (or you just don't want to install the other two), you have another option. Good luck!
    Thanks Petie! I'll run this one by my mom also. And i'll check it out now. thanks!

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
  • One more thing, do you use Norton? Any Norton product is crap

If you have Norton, I'd uninstall it (get your money back if possible), and buy another anti-virus/anti-spyware product such as McAfee, Trend Micro (which I use, very reliable), or Kapersky.

Or you could get AVG Free. Another good option.

I'd also check out "How to clean a computer of viruses, spyware, and other harmful things..

Zet

Years
  • The only good recommendation was by Petie(though the only good thing RaiRai-kun suggested was Kaspersky, though I find nod32 a lot better), never get AVG, it's prone to miss heaps of viruses and other nasties. Though if you want something that can run with you anti-virus without any problems, get PC tools "ThreatFire". Also can you tell us where you got this "SuperSpyware"? and I hope you mean you got a new anti-spyware and not actually mean you got new spyware since that would mean you're not good with computers :P

Sasuke Hinamori

Just living life.
    Years
  • Thanks again to both of you.
    I dont pick the anti-spyware my mom does-which probably explains why this is happening-and she said its McAffe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Ah Shijiro same boat as you I find nod32 very useful and very handy. I use it myself. As he said get something that works. Like nod. Nothing better imo then it.

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years

If you have Norton, I'd uninstall it (get your money back if possible), and buy another anti-virus/anti-spyware product such as McAfee, Trend Micro (which I use, very reliable), or Kapersky.

I'd also check out "How to clean a computer of viruses, spyware, and other harmful things..

Have you even bothered to check antivirus/antispyware app ratings for the 2009 lines? Or are you going off of old ratings? Norton has drastically improved their 2009 edition. (And PC World rated it number one after a slew of testing. In fact the only thing it wasn't better than almost anything else at was rootkits, where Bitdefender beat it.) McAfee has been steadily declining for several years, and now isn't worth even getting it free from your ISP, like Cox Communications offers. Trend Micro, which was pretty good for the last couple of years, hit a sharp drop this year, and was bumped down a few notches in all of the rating boards, both official and unofficial. Plus, any tech savvy tech admin would no longer recommend Trend Micro, the way they used to. Not to mention that the link you gave us is three years old, and things have changed since then.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I personally recommend you uninstall all other anti-virus programs and get avast! and Spybot S&D

avast! will nip almost any virus in the bud, and Spybot S&D is a wonderful anti-spyware program that ACTUALLY inoculates your computer to protect you from known malware sites and such

Malice.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2016
    I personally recommend you uninstall all other anti-virus programs and get avast! and Spybot S&D

avast! will nip almost any virus in the bud, and Spybot S&D is a wonderful anti-spyware program that ACTUALLY inoculates your computer to protect you from known malware sites and such
    I can personally vouch for this.

The Aspires from Acer are good machines, do you have a desktop or notebook; which model? I've owned an Aspire myself for several months and have not been plagued by anything as of yet. They're rock-solid imo.

Years
  • Ah Shijiro same boat as you I find nod32 very useful and very handy. I use it myself. As he said get something that works. Like nod. Nothing better imo then it.
    As much as Nod32 is a brilliant choice, it hasn't had a free edition for a while, so it's more difficult to use. I actually use Avira Antivir, which I'm rather happy with. It's a personal choice, but do make sure that you spend some time researching your choice.

Although I really suggest not using AVG. It's let hundreds viruses through in the past, one of which I personally found and dealt with before AVG had a clue.

Last edited by a moderator:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • As much as Nod32 is a brilliant choice, it hasn't had a free edition for a while, so it's more difficult to use. I actually use Avira Antivir, which I'm rather happy with. It's a personal choice, but do make sure that you spend some time researching your choice.

Although I really suggest not using AVG. It's let hundreds viruses through in the past, one of which I personally found and dealt with before AVG had a clue.
    AVG isn't as bad of a choice as Archer makes it out to be, but that's not to say there aren't better options. Avira is good, and I personally like Avast! as well. It's also a good idea to have a secure browser; I'm using Firefox with Adblock Plus, but another option would be to use Chrome or something with Privoxy enabled (Google "Privoxy" and your browser, it's pretty easy to set up). These stop some viruses on their own, not to mention they get rid of annoying advertisements.

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
  • AVG isn't as bad of a choice as Archer makes it out to be, but that's not to say there aren't better options. Avira is good, and I personally like Avast! as well. It's also a good idea to have a secure browser; I'm using Firefox with Adblock Plus, but another option would be to use Chrome or something with Privoxy enabled (Google "Privoxy" and your browser, it's pretty easy to set up). These stop some viruses on their own, not to mention they get rid of annoying advertisements.

There is no such things as a secure browser. There have been viruses for Macs, Linux, and every browser ever created. There will be more in the future. THe only reason certain browsers or OSs are considered "secure" or "safe" is because they are and have been less popular than Internet Explorer on Windows, so the people who made the viruses generally focused on that section. The truth is that viruses for Macs, Linux, or that affect "secure" browsers are much more difficult to get rid of because people don't look for them, and because they are much less prepared to deal with them. It is much better to have redundancy. Get several compatible security packages, a secure browser if you want one, and scan every couple of days if you do a significant amount of ANYTHING on the internet. Heck, I've gotten a virus while playing Ragnarok Online. (The OFFICIAL copy, not a private server) Not only that, but any site can have a virus at this point. People have found ways to insert viruses into code wherever they want, if they try hard enough. The main page for Google has been infected a couple of times.

Also, here are some links to good, useful ratings from trustworthy, proven sources regarding antiviruses.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/158178/top_internet_security_suites.html
    http://av-test.org/index.php?lang=0

Just keep in mind that PC-World's ratings dropped any antivirus suite that didn't perform up to a specific standard, so if what you use isn't on there, chances are you need to get something better. And, if you want a lot of good advice about pretty much anything PC related, try searching through PC-World's website.

Also, here's a quote from PC-World on how they tested and scored the antivirus/malware suites:

PC World said:
    How We Tested the Suites

To evaluate the suites, PC World once again partnered with AV-Test.org. This German organization pitted each suite against its "zoo" of 654,914 backdoor programs, bots, worms, Trojan horses, and password stealers, as well as against 46,246 adware samples. Each suite was allowed to connect to the Internet to use online checks, where available.
    The group's rootkit tests looked at each package's ability to detect and clean up both active and inactive rootkits--stealth malware designed to hide criminal software on your PC. AV-Test also assessed scan speed and each suite's ability to clean up a malware infection, and the group's heuristic and behavioral detection tests determined how well a suite could identify new and unknown malware for which it didn't yet have a signature. The heuristic tests used two- and four-week-old signature files with each suite to simulate encounters with unknown malware, while the in-depth behavior tests examined how well each suite could identify malware based solely on how it acted on a PC.
    After AV-Test evaluated and scrutinized each suite's innards, we tested its interface and design. We determined whether it smoothly handled alert pop-ups or phishing-site blocks, or whether its actions left us scratching our heads. We combed through all the settings to see whether they were at appropriate defaults, and also whether advanced users could easily change them.
    Where security applications are concerned, however, performance and effectiveness outweigh design, so the bulk of our scoring depended on how well a suite detected and disinfected malware, along with how fast it scanned. We also considered price, support, and features in the final rankings.

Last edited:

Sasuke Hinamori

Just living life.
    Years
  • I can personally vouch for this.

The Aspires from Acer are good machines, do you have a desktop or notebook; which model? I've owned an Aspire myself for several months and have not been plagued by anything as of yet. They're rock-solid imo.
    Its a labtop and they are rock solid. Much better than the preveis labtops.
    Zazie, I like your recomandation.

glow.ForEveR

wut is this i dont even
    Years

I might be in late but ill post my two cents anyhow.

Uninstalling norton is tricky because to do a complete uninstall you cant just do it manually, you actually HAVE to download whats called a "Norton Clean Uninstall"~google that~ To completely remove it.

Download Avg free. Its now like a firewall/internet security/anti-virus. It works really well~its what I use~. I recommend it to everyone.

Just get rid of Norton ASAP if your running it.

Also uninstall the one thats giving you trouble.

If all of the above is out of the question, See if you can go into the settings and make it allow the things you want it to.

Back