• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Smoking

Years
  • What are your views on smoking? Do you support it? Are you against it? Are you neutral? Do you smoke? Do you know someone that smokes, and you are trying to stop them? Do you know someone who has died due to smoke? Please, say all you want here. This can be a debate; it can be anything!

I am against it, for one. I have asthma, and find the smell repulsive. I have quite a few friends that smoke, and I tell them to stop, but they won't listen. As for deaths... My Grandmother died of smoking. It gave her cancer, which killed her. Yet another reason to say no. The cancers and deaths caused from it are much to common and severe. People that are around smoke are basically smoking themselves. Even if you haven't ever touched tobacco, you could still get cancer from a nearby smoker. It's all too risky, and I believe all steps should be taken to stop this catastrophe from getting any worse.

Penguin13

Mountain Dew, Elixir of Life.
    Years
  • I, for one, and for smoking. I don't smoke, and I can't stand the smell, and I constantly wish some eco-terrorist group would put poison in the cigarettes. BUT, they tax the hell out of cigarettes, and with the number of people smoking, and starting to smoke, increasing every day, that's a LOT of money for the government.

Proof: "In 1996, Americans spent a total of $45 billion for
    cigarette products. Of the total, approximately $13
    billion went to federal and state taxes, which accounted
    for 30 percent of the retail price of cigarettes." -Some Phillip Morris study I think.

Also, for the people that smoke and are worried about their health and are trying to quit, they should have quit by now if they were REALLY motivated by their health.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I'm extremely against this. Not only is it bad for one's health, but it's also bad for others around that person. Not just that, but the drugs inside of the actual cigarette are incredibly dangerous. Too much of the cyanide in it and you'll be dead. =/

But, it is a choice. Not a good one, mind, but it's a choice people make that's really hard for them to quit. However, that's no reason to smoke around other people. Just because they're getting lung cancer, doesn't mean they have to give it to someone else.

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
  • I have never smoked and never will, much as with any other drug, legal or not. People can smoke if they want to, just preferably not around me. It's really unpleasant to breathe in other peoples' smoke; here, smoking is banned in bus shelters, so people stand right next to them, smoke flows in, and completely defeat the purpose of that law. I'm glad it's been banned in public buildings now, pubs and restaurants used to be unbearable.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother; the same happened to mine =< also a friend's grandfather died of cancer due to second-hand smoke, which was pretty harsh ._.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I simply hate it. >.< I am cursed to be allergic to it also. D= I am against it, due to the fact it is bad for the health, and for others around the person smoking. Most of my family's ancestors have died from it. >.>

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
  • I don't like it because it's also bad for those around the person smoking.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • My father has a cafe so im used to the smoking oh and the whole smoking in the bathrooms at school so whatever i dont mind smoking. Mind you though i never smoked in my life and i do not plan to.

kingofjokers

This is not a custom title!!!!
    Years
  • I hate it as well and I have asthma ap i can't stand it and my dad barley smokes and illinois made a law i think that makes people not to smoke in public places so that's good

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • I despise smoking, but I don't despise people who do it.
    My best friend smokes, but I don't discriminate him for it.

I, for one, have never smoked in my entire live and I'm often congratulated for it by my friends.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I've always found the attitude of PC members towards smoking very striking.
    I like it as a done thing; I'm not a smoker though, more of a drinker. I enjoy the smell and seeing people do it assures me there is still some culture to our curious little lives.
    Unfortunately the public smoking ban of 2007 also includes pubs, which have since become less frequented and this, as many people I know agree, takes almost everything away from the British pub tradition — as I said earlier: culture.

In short, taking away the guilty pleasures of the common man takes a lot away from their country as a whole.

Years
  • I have never smoked, though I used to have lots of friends who did. I'm not happy when people are smoking around me, as it aggravates my asthma, but I figure it's a choice and if people want to choose to smoke, they should have that freedom of choice. I am glad though that there is much better education these days about the health risks of it.

DrawnVigilance

7861 Blackthorne
    Years
  • Ehh I dont like it even though a couple of my friends do it
    Its annoying, i hate the smell :p i would never smoke
    My parents used to smoke but they both quit, my sister smokes and i wish she would quit, which she says she is trying but idk if she really is trying :(
    but what i truely dont get is why they make such a big deal on getting people to quit, why they just dont make it illegal to do it

Nitrous Oxide

Korporate Amerika
    Years
  • Cigarettes are trash, I smoke illegal better things. Well, occasionally, it's not like I do it every day of every month, maybe like once every two months?

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
  • I wouldn't smoke ever. I really say it isn't a good idea, but if thats what they want to do with their lives then I have to say you can't really change their minds.
    I hate having people who smoke near me because it tightens my chest and I start to cough viciously. So that is why my dad goes outside into the back garden, I have only know one person that died because they was smoking and that was my favourite grandmother. But she knew why and chose to carry on smoking so we couldn't help her. But thats all. I'd say I'm netural in all this.

Crissy xX

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
  • I already have a thread on this.

Yeah I've smoked.
    Yeah most my friends smoke, including a few of my best friends.
    No don't regret smoking.
    I have nothing against smoking.
    But I wouldn't get addicted. It's not worth it.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • It's strange. I would never, ever smoke a cigarette. But I like the smell of cigarettes on someone. I can't stand inhaling second-hand smoke though.

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2009
    Those who smoke in public places are some of the most inconsiderate people around, there's no question about that. I really do think it's inexcusable, and I'm tired of inhaling their stupid second-hand smoke.

So, I think smoking in public should be banned, period. However, I do think people should be allowed to do what they want in their own homes, so I can't criticize someone who wants to smoke in their own home.

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
  • Those who smoke in public places are some of the most inconsiderate people around, there's no question about that. I really do think it's inexcusable, and I'm tired of inhaling their stupid second-hand smoke.

So, I think smoking in public should be banned, period. However, I do think people should be allowed to do what they want in their own homes, so I can't criticize someone who wants to smoke in their own home.
    Unless they have children, and they're smoking inside...

Lash

Years
  • For. But, I am against people being annoying as hell to try to stop smoking, like all these anti cigarette facts on little pieces of paper being taped around my school. So, pretty much, I'm a-okay with smoking, 'cept when it comes to pot.
    And yes, though I am under aged, I do smoke cigarettes, and have been for about three months now.
    Most of my friends smoke, and I do not try to stop them.

Back