• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PDAs and Smartphones.

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
  • So, do you use PDAs and/or smartphones at all? Smartphones include the iPhone, Blackberry, LG Viewty, Samsung Omnia, etc. PDA stands for Personal Digital Assisstant, in other words, it is one of those digital organisers, the smartphones without the phone.

I myself own a Tungsten T3, an old PDA developed in 2002. What kind of PDA/Smartphone do you have?

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    So, do you use PDAs and/or smartphones at all? Smartphones include the iPhone, Blackberry, LG Viewty, Samsung Omnia, etc. PDA stands for Personal Digital Assisstant, in other words, it is one of those digital organisers, the smartphones without the phone.

I myself own a Tungsten T3, an old PDA developed in 2002. What kind of PDA/Smartphone do you have?

I have a BlackBerry, and I wouldn't know how to live with it ;) Reading my email the minute it arrives, no matter where I am, at the bus, in a line waiting, at school, home.. it's kind of spoiling me.

Also being able to browse the web, syncing my google calendar, and opening any office document is a plus! :)

I used to have a PDA... but it's not the same as a phone with camera and internet with full apps.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I couldn't possibly put one of these sort of devices to use, even if I had one. My organizational skills extend as far as jotting down important projects in a text file called "stuff" on my desktop. In regards to portable music players, I can't stand them. Do I like my music? Sure; however, I prefer to walk from one place to another in relative silence so I can think. As for cell phones, I can't think of any reason I'd want people to be able to contact me at any time of the day. I'd rather not have people talking at me at all hours.

The iPhone is the worst of the bunch. I can't comprehend paying $200+ for a phone that's, honestly, not even that great. It sells because of its name, and that's it. If it didn't have "Apple" attached to its name, it wouldn't sell at all. Does it even have video recording? I was pretty sure that was a standard feature on most good cell phones, and if I was going to sink $200 into something, I'd expect SD recording and perhaps a private jet or two, as well.

I, however, have this really cool device that I think will take off someday in the distant future. It's called a "laptop," and I take it with me wherever I go. I can make calls using a free VOIP program I obtained, I can capture video with this thing called a "webcam" and edit those videos with this other program, I can browse the internet with this really cool free browser called "Mozilla Firefox," I can use something called "OpenOffice.org" for word processing/spreadsheets/slideshow presentations, I can take and edit pictures or images, and I can play videos and music in any format I want. In addition to that, the games for it are absolutely incredible, it's like a whole new platform or something! There's this one where you're like in a nuclear apocalypse or something, and this other one where there are a bunch of zombies, and this really popular one that everyone but me seems to like where you go around doing pointless quests and stuff. I think these "laptop" things are the devices of the future.

Guess I got a bit rant-y at the end there. Sorry about that. I understand a lot of people like their fancy PDAs and smartphones and such, but I just don't get this craze over it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Right now, I have an iPhone, but I used to have a Pocket PC Phone edition called the i-mate JAMin, with Windows Mobile 5.

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    I own the Apple iPhone 3G. I store my life in my iPhone, basically.

Calander - Stores important dates
    iPod - Duh.
    Phone - Duh.
    Safari - When I get bored, and when I need to access PC or another website for some reason
    Mail - Some ARE important
    SMS - Duh.
    Camera - When I get lonely. ;;
    Extra Applications - When I get bored

Thus, I can say the iPhone is my life. I don't leave the house without it.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    I'm getting an iPhone, because it has a big touch screen, cool apps, productivity tools, iPod features and Web browser.
    Yes, I need a phone, because I don't have one.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • I do have a phone and a PDA, but I want that new Palm Pre Smartphone because both of them are not working in some way. My phone's buttons don't work occasionally, and mt Tungsten T3's annoying slide feature finally betrayed me. And I want a Smartphone that already has a Palm OS installed so that I can just copy all my old files into the new handheld.

I couldn't possibly put one of these sort of devices to use, even if I had one. My organizational skills extend as far as jotting down important projects in a text file called "stuff" on my desktop. In regards to portable music players, I can't stand them. Do I like my music? Sure; however, I prefer to walk from one place to another in relative silence so I can think. As for cell phones, I can't think of any reason I'd want people to be able to contact me at any time of the day. I'd rather not have people talking at me at all hours.

The iPhone is the worst of the bunch. I can't comprehend paying $200+ for a phone that's, honestly, not even that great. It sells because of its name, and that's it. If it didn't have "Apple" attached to its name, it wouldn't sell at all. Does it even have video recording? I was pretty sure that was a standard feature on most good cell phones, and if I was going to sink $200 into something, I'd expect SD recording and perhaps a private jet or two, as well.

I, however, have this really cool device that I think will take off someday in the distant future. It's called a "laptop," and I take it with me wherever I go. I can make calls using a free VOIP program I obtained, I can capture video with this thing called a "webcam" and edit those videos with this other program, I can browse the internet with this really cool free browser called "Mozilla Firefox," I can use something called "OpenOffice.org" for word processing/spreadsheets/slideshow presentations, I can take and edit pictures or images, and I can play videos and music in any format I want. In addition to that, the games for it are absolutely incredible, it's like a whole new platform or something! There's this one where you're like in a nuclear apocalypse or something, and this other one where there are a bunch of zombies, and this really popular one that everyone but me seems to like where you go around doing pointless quests and stuff. I think these "laptop" things are the devices of the future.

Guess I got a bit rant-y at the end there. Sorry about that. I understand a lot of people like their fancy PDAs and smartphones and such, but I just don't get this craze over it.

I can understand you, but I'm not much of a computer gamer, so a small PDA would do for me. And a smartphone would have a decent camera at the back and front, so it would eliminate the need for a webcam. And most PDAs can read and edit Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint files, so I wouldn't really need a laptop for that either. My friend also has video editing software on his phone, the LG Viewty (VU990). People may not have a need for laptops for high performance, but others just want something that's small and can do the basics.

Last edited:

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
  • I, however, have this really cool device that I think will take off someday in the distant future. It's called a "laptop," and I take it with me wherever I go. I can make calls using a free VOIP program I obtained, I can capture video with this thing called a "webcam" and edit those videos with this other program, I can browse the internet with this really cool free browser called "Mozilla Firefox," I can use something called "OpenOffice.org" for word processing/spreadsheets/slideshow presentations, I can take and edit pictures or images, and I can play videos and music in any format I want. In addition to that, the games for it are absolutely incredible, it's like a whole new platform or something! There's this one where you're like in a nuclear apocalypse or something, and this other one where there are a bunch of zombies, and this really popular one that everyone but me seems to like where you go around doing pointless quests and stuff. I think these "laptop" things are the devices of the future.

Amen to this one. I have a laptop that works just as well as all but the highest-end desktops, and I take it wherever I need to go. I keep it not only functional, but in prime condition, so I never even run into any of the "problems" that make people move away from laptops or Windows. I also keep my important files encrypted, which is more than you can do with an iPhone. (And the really important stuff goes into a special encrypted flash drive that requires federal government level tech to break into)

I also see no point in an mp3 player of any type, for the simple reason that I don't like music playing in my ears when I'm going around and doing my stuff. I prefer to hear the world around me, as well as to have enough quiet to think. Not only that, but I can play full quality video on my laptop, which is more than I can say about any iPod, Zune, or other small piece of technology. Oh, did I mention that it also gives me the ability to see the internet at a reasonable resolution? Did I mention that since I program quite a bit, it also acts as a portable workstation? Or that I can use it as a nice weapon in the case of a zombie apocalypse?

twocows

Years
  • Amen to this one. I have a laptop that works just as well as all but the highest-end desktops, and I take it wherever I need to go. I keep it not only functional, but in prime condition, so I never even run into any of the "problems" that make people move away from laptops or Windows. I also keep my important files encrypted, which is more than you can do with an iPhone. (And the really important stuff goes into a special encrypted flash drive that requires federal government level tech to break into)

I also see no point in an mp3 player of any type, for the simple reason that I don't like music playing in my ears when I'm going around and doing my stuff. I prefer to hear the world around me, as well as to have enough quiet to think. Not only that, but I can play full quality video on my laptop, which is more than I can say about any iPod, Zune, or other small piece of technology. Oh, did I mention that it also gives me the ability to see the internet at a reasonable resolution? Did I mention that since I program quite a bit, it also acts as a portable workstation? Or that I can use it as a nice weapon in the case of a zombie apocalypse?

My important files are in an encoded 7z file (which, AFAIK, cannot be cracked) with an SHA-512 hashed password. You'd need to run the best brute forcer in the world on the most powerful computer in the world for about two centuries to crack it. To open the file, you'd need to know (a) that I used a hashed password to encode the file, (b) what password was hashed, and (c) what hashing algorithm I used. People don't get in my stuff without asking nicely. Also, sunglasses. :cool:

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
  • I have a BlackBerry Curve 8900. It's my first smartphone, and I was so tempted because I liked the ones I set up at work, but this has an even better operating system.

I love having the push email and the QWERTY keyboard =D I also have Windows Live Messenger on there, which is pretty easy to use, and it means I can communicate with friends who are at home but don't have or don't want to use their credit.

I probably don't use all the features, but all in all I really love the device, and it's quite handy for taking notes at work, and for people at work to get in touch with me. In addition, I'm the admin of another board (well, technical admin, my friend is the active admin, if that makes sense) and I want to be 100% available since her last host was so lame, and she can't particularly call me since I'm the other side of the Atlantic.

I didn't really want an iPhone, because I can't operate touchscreens (I fail at the iPod Touch) and I do like the satisfaction of buttons. Also, I didn't require half the gimmicky stuff the iPhone has available, and I already have a 16GB Nano =<

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
  • My important files are in an encoded 7z file (which, AFAIK, cannot be cracked) with an SHA-512 hashed password. You'd need to run the best brute forcer in the world on the most powerful computer in the world for about two centuries to crack it. To open the file, you'd need to know (a) that I used a hashed password to encode the file, (b) what password was hashed, and (c) what hashing algorithm I used. People don't get in my stuff without asking nicely. Also, sunglasses. :cool:

My flash drive uses hardware-based encryption. Either you enter the proper password manually, or you cannot possibly access the file. And, if you try to bypass the password by going straight to the hardware, you get absolutely nothing. (Unless you work for the FBI, CIA, or another US government entity. Those guys can apparently do anything)

Anyway, enough with the relative size contest. We both use good systems. (Although I think I'll take up the 7-zip idea)

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • I got an iPhone yesterday. The features in the 3.0 firmware update really pushed (is that a bad pun for the 3.0 feature? :P) me into getting it. I'm afraid to install the beta, so I'm only running 2.2.1 at the moment. But I only got it yesterday, I might end up getting bored and putting it on ha.

Years
  • I've got my Nokia E71. I mainly use if for web browsing, but it's great for whatever else I need it for. One thing that frustrates me is the lack of decent Music support. The headphone port is 2.5mm (standard is 3.5mm, IIRC) and the sound quality isn't the best. Maybe a third party music application would help?

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I got an iPhone yesterday. The features in the 3.0 firmware update really pushed (is that a bad pun for the 3.0 feature? :P) me into getting it. I'm afraid to install the beta, so I'm only running 2.2.1 at the moment. But I only got it yesterday, I might end up getting bored and putting it on ha.

You know you can only get the 3.0 beta if you're in the Developer program, right?

twocows

Years
  • You know you can only get the 3.0 beta if you're in the Developer program, right?
    Funny thing is, I'm in the developer program, and the only Apple product I have is an ethernet cable that my former roomate let me keep. All that really nabbed me was the Safari 4 PC closed beta (which doesn't matter now, since the open beta started a few weeks ago).

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I don't technically have a smart phone, but I do use my iPod touch occasionally for VOIP. I feel that if I do get something like an Iphone or Blackberry I'll wait until all features I want are included. (mainly right now are increased storage, MMS, and an affordable price. until then I'll stick with a basic phone plan with a basic phone and use my iPod Touch for most everything but calling.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • The iPhone and iPod touch are mainly entertainment smartphones, not suited for a work environment. I'm not one to work on something so small anyway, so I would love an iPod Touch or iPhone. My PDA is falling apart anyway, so I think I'll be getting either sometime soon. Does anyone have a Palm device?

Back