• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does the new Windows Live Messenger 'Suck'?

Years
  • I recently installed the new Windows Live Messenger (on my Windows PC). I've noticed a lot of unnecessary content on the new version, since when would you need a 'favorites' category, also (if you have Live Plus!), you need to download the add on all over again. Some of the controls have been moved around, making harder to find, like the inbox, which is now on the right, when I'm used to it being on the left. The background on conversations don't cover up the whole window, just part of it, overall the new version (2009) is really bad.

Tell me what you think, this is just my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I thought exactly the same; as soon as I started it up and saw it I thought "Uh, what have they done to it?" I don't think they have added or changed anything good. Although the worst thing for me was that they had replaced sharing folders with 'SkyDrive'.

Years
  • It has no webcam functionality with users who don't have WLM 2009. Ergo, yeah, it does suck, in my opinion, as the person I regularly webcam with is a Mac user. Dx

Ac1d

Game Dev
    Years
  • It's okay i guess..
    It's good for sending files and such, Conversations aren't too bad, but they still havn't listened to the consumer base... If so we wouldn't be ranting about their IM client :P

iPochama

loving pokemon tcg on gameboy.
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Well try to look at the positives here, it's sleek, shiny and much much more customizable, but it isn't just aesthetics you'll find when sending a file, you get a preview so yeah, on smaller files, it wont actually need to be sent! You can get .gif display pictures too! and lets not forget about the cool and exciting scripts you can play around with!
    So really and honestly, although it does look like you've been ripped off, if you look behind its funky new visage, you can see they made it a lot easier to handle, and with the addition of the bullet points which i thought was fantastic!
    Anyway it all comes down to you, just a few things i thought you should mull over.
    C:
    x

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • And now a note from Todorki Is
    Windows Live Messenger 09 blows chunks. With the limited typing space (one line?!) no webcam functionality and other issues is there really a future for the oh so popular messenger of windows? I can hope so as this is the Vista Version of Messenger. Full of fail and uneeded. Let us hope that the next one is like windows 7.
    So yeah I hate it and I was all what the I dont even.. and well messenger 8 rocks. The last one of its good times.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    I use the last version with a stanalone installation.

Build 8.1.0178.00

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I got it the day after it was released (back in January, so WLM9 isn't new to me anymore), by a stroke of random chance. It requires a bit of time for setting the options how one wants them but since when did I ever not do that for any program? Hah. Yeah, I like it and always did, the main reasons being that it supports animated GIFs for display pictures and how at a large enough view setting one can see the name field, personal message field and listening to field instead of having the listening to one replace the personal message one when someone is playing music.
    The only thing I don't like is how they removed the BRB status.

With the limited typing space (one line?!)
    They've all always had limited text space.

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I prefer Pidgin over MSN. It has support for the MSN protocol, as well as AIM and YIM protocols. I'm not sure if it has webcam support, but I'm pretty sure it has file transfer support. I like it because I've got friends that use different messengers and this is an easy way to keep track of them.

I use the last version with a stanalone installation.

Build 8.1.0178.00
    Eureka, thanks for the info. I have friends that use MSN and most are using the old 4.x version or whatever came with XP.

Years
  • Well try to look at the positives here, it's sleek, shiny and much much more customizable, but it isn't just aesthetics you'll find when sending a file, you get a preview so yeah, on smaller files, it wont actually need to be sent! You can get .gif display pictures too! and lets not forget about the cool and exciting scripts you can play around with!
    So really and honestly, although it does look like you've been ripped off, if you look behind its funky new visage, you can see they made it a lot easier to handle, and with the addition of the bullet points which i thought was fantastic!
    Anyway it all comes down to you, just a few things i thought you should mull over.
    C:
    x

I guess there are a few positives there:), but let's face it, it's become worse than it was before :( It will never be as good as it was.

Years
  • I prefer Pidgin over MSN. It has support for the MSN protocol, as well as AIM and YIM protocols. I'm not sure if it has webcam support, but I'm pretty sure it has file transfer support. I like it because I've got friends that use different messengers and this is an easy way to keep track of them.

No webcam support on Pidgin. =( I don't think there are any stable multi-protocol messengers with webcam support. ._.

Nitrous Oxide

Korporate Amerika
    Years
  • MSN being junk? Have you guys taken a look at AIM lately? Plastered with XBOXHUGE ads and it looks like crap. MSN is sweet, and I have no idea what you're saying about no webcam compatibility, because my sister uses it all the time. The new version is sweet, sleek, sexy, and everything in between.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Wow, I'm surprised so many people hate the new version.

I got it, thought it was freaking awesome, told some friends about it, and they all think it's awesome as well. It's different at first, but it looks cooler, the themes are fun to mess with, you get used to it fast.

I have no complaints so far.

Years
  • I like it, I find the version better than the previous versions.
    I had one problem with the audio and video but that was to do with my anti-virus so until I got a patch for it everything was good again. The only thing I dislike is the spaces thing at the bottom which for some reason they seem to be promoting but I don't have any interest in at all.
    What's good about it is hoe it's made to match Windows 7 as its better looking but also fast, much faster then the previous that matched vista which looked good but was terribly slow. So I think I'll be keeping this version until the next.

Hagumi

For a sick boy
    Years
  • I actually like the new MSN. It looks nicer than the older version, and I like playing around with the themes. Sure, it took a bit of time to get used to it, but that's because I had used the older ones quite a lot before and gotten used to them. But I like the new MSN; can't wait for the next update. The only thing that's bothering me is that they removed the "Be right back" option, and I used to use that quite a lot.

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
  • I can't even get my main MSN version to work right now after the Windows Update that included it was sent out. So I'm outta luck right now. Trillian on top of it isn't functioning at 100%, so I'm back to Pidgin soon.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • I recently installed the new Windows Live Messenger (on my Windows PC). I've noticed a lot of unnecessary content on the new version, since when would you need a 'favorites' category, also (if you have Live Plus!), you need to download the add on all over again. Some of the controls have been moved around, making harder to find, like the inbox, which is now on the right, when I'm used to it being on the left. The background on conversations don't cover up the whole window, just part of it, overall the new version (2009) is really bad.

Tell me what you think, this is just my opinion.

I'm amazed how you've only just updated to it. It certainly doesn't feel new to me. :P

I hated the interface when I used it for the first time but I've grown around it now and find it to be as great as the previous versions and I'm sure you will too after using for about a month.

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I hate it. I decided to change to pidgin because of how much it sucked. It was slow and the adverts really do annoy me.

Pidgin <3

Back