• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Arceus OBVIOUSLY doesn't breed...

What do the people in the Pokeworld believe in?

• They are Christian, I think.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Some Legendary Pokemon are their gods.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • They believe in no god.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • WHO CARES! Let's talk about the new PMD game!

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
Years
  • Arceus OBVIOUSLY doesn't breed...

Well, I know that the pokemon anime - particularly season 1 - always had millions of faults, so the-whole-thing-about-misty-holding-a-cross could just be another brilliant fault. But think of it: It has never been officialy revealed What Do The People In Pokeworld Believe In.
    Probably, there was fear that any referrence to religion would cause a prejudicial outburst, due to the fact that pokemon are international.

Anyway, let's JUST SAY that they are catholic christians, how could this be? Could there have been 2 identical Jesus in 2 different planets, whose actions would be exactly the same? Could the "Pokeworld's Jesus" have claimed that He's the son of Arceus? That's a very sick thought.
    So, express your views: Are the pokepeople a known religion, or do they believe in certain legendary pokemon, or are they just atheists?

BadCompany

And a miss...
    Years
    • Age 38
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 17, 2009
    It has never been officialy revealed What Do The People In Pokeworld Believe In.
    Probably, there was fear that any referrence to religion would cause a prejudicial outburst, due to the fact that pokemon are international.

I'm guessing it has more to do with the fact that it doesn't make a difference either way. No need to add such useless information to a show aimed at young kids.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Ummm, maybe Arceus is the God of Pokemon, not people? :\ Nope, I can't come up with a logical answer. Oh, and I cant even remember the episode where Misty was holding a cross. :P Good spot. :D

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    You know I honestly believe that the PokéPeople think that their religious leader is a Legendary Pokémon. There are people in the Pokémon world who have been known to protect ancient sanctuaries or just pray over them.

- I believe in the 12th movie the female movie character prays to Dialga. -​

dragpyre

The Brother's Fight For Hell
    Years
  • But also, they say there is a bit of Mew in every Pokemon, but if Arceus is the God, then how does the previous statement prove true.

I think they just show crosses because Christianity it is a widely recognised and accepted religion.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • You know I honestly believe that the PokéPeople think that their religious leader is a Legendary Pokémon. There are people in the Pokémon world who have been known to protect ancient sanctuaries or just pray over them.​

- I believe in the 12th movie the female movie character prays to Dialga. -​
    I like it the way you state it. In Sinnoh, they have statues of Dialga and Palkia, while in Orre, Celebi gets a lot of respect.
    What troubles me though, is that Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Dialga and Palkia have all been eyewitnessed by many people, through their fights with each other. The whole thing about religion is to believe in something you can't see, but you deeply know it exists, I think.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • This is ridiculous.

One, I'm pretty sure the Pokemon World is a alternate universe version of earth.

Two, they probably believe in both. In our world most of our gods are human-like or semi-human like. This is because we want to believe that we are somehow connected to almighty beings. But in the Pokemon world, this may be different. Considering they live in a world with creatures that are just about a intelligent as they are and as well far more powerful, it is likely that there are just as many of them that worship human gods as those who worship Pokemon gods.

Three, in myths, it is said that vampires can't stand crosses... It's not their fault that christianity introduced the idea that their religion will save you from a creature of the night.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Well we know from the games, they have churches and cemeteries, but nothing much comes from that, as the NPCs usually just spout their respect for their pokemon or pokemon in general.

As well, there have been myths about legendary pokemon... Notice the difference please of both words (legenday and myth).

However in the end, I think it is just about selling their product, so if ever they feel to be wholey concerned about Pokeverse religion, we will never know...

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Oh man, the thought is... some kind of Wednesday Thursday Friday...

I'm pretty sure it's a fault. Since the theory of Jesus being son of Arceus in the Pokeworld is very immoral and can get the series raped by Christian Lawsuits.

Plus, those pics were from previous generations. Arceus was probably not intended back then.

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
    Years
  • Oh my.. Who in the pokemon world ever says that they believe in
    Jesus or a God, for that matter. All they blab on about is pokemon
    and that a pokemon which hatched from an egg created the Sinnoh
    region. who said Arceus was the God of their world? Who's to say
    something created that egg? Think bigger, people. 5th gen is near..

5th Gen ???
    |
    Mew - Arceus - Azelf, Mesprit, Uxie
    / | \
    Palkia Giratina Dialga
    \ | /
    Groudon Rayquaza Kyogre
    \ /
    Lugia & Ho-Oh

I believe that's how the basic line goes. The God,
    The "Jesus" of the Pokemon world, Creator of Pokemon, Creator of Emotion,
    Willpower, and Knowledge, Creator of Space and Dimension and Time,
    Creator of Land and Sky(?) and Oceans, Creator of Night and Day.

There are also those random "creators" like Celebi, the creator of life, in a sense, who
    don't necessarily fit with the line of creation. Celebi can freely heal dead plants, and it is said that
    Celebi brings eggs from the past to the future, which brings me
    to the conclusion that Mew created pokemon eggs and it's moves were divided
    between the masses of pokemon. There are also some "helpers" like Regigigas who
    apparently towed continents together, and side creators who made things like Dreams (Cresselia) and Nightmares (Darkrai).

It may also be interpreted that Mew was the creator of Arceus, since it is considered the
    Ancestor of all pokemon and can learn more moves than Arceus. But then again,
    Arceus seems more godly, standing in the Hall of Origin while Mew was considered
    to be living under a truck in the water back in the days of 1st Gen..

The real line of creation is pretty confusing for pokemon. And to go back on topic,
    I believe that the people such as Cynthia don't necessarily worship Arceus/Dialga/Palkia/Giratina, but rather try
    to learn about them and treats them like mysterious pokemon, but that's about it. If you infer the text,
    you could clearly see that Arceus was the creator of SINNOH not the world. Thus, I have
    come to the conclusion that Pokemon are not their god, and that they have their own beliefs.
    After all, Pokemon is just a reflection of our world, just with 493 more colours.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I'm kind of leaning towards what Penumbra is saying, although I do think that perhaps they don't believe in any God at all.

The ancient people surely believed in Gods and in Arceus being that one supreme God; reminiscent of paganism/polytheism. Things like that are well proven and shown within the games, for example those "ancient texts". The "modern" people however, the ones we see in the anime and in the games, don't seem to believe in any specific God. For all we know, they might simply just believe in a type of powerful force? (Perhaps that "aura" force seen in the Lucario movie?)

It's a great thing to think about and analyze, and there's a lot I just want to pick and take out...but chances are, we'll never truly know what these people really believe in.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Well, I dont think people think of Arceus as there god. And I Dont think that they are Christian. The cross in you post, I have no idea. Im undecided, i guess...

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    But also, they say there is a bit of Mew in every Pokemon, but if Arceus is the God, then how does the previous statement prove true.

I think they just show crosses because Christianity it is a widely recognised and accepted religion.

In Pokemon, Mew would be the equivalent to Adam technically. I dont think its fair to compare current things to the first seasons in an analysis though. Its forever changing.

Back