PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome 2.0

twocows
May 22nd, 2009, 11:12 PM
Google Chrome 2.0 is now out. It features a faster JS engine, some other performance improvements, form autofill, fullscreen mode (yay), and an improved new tab page (source (http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/21/2054230)). You can update to it inside Chrome; just click the wrench icon, click "about," and then click "Update Now" once it appears (it will say "checking for updates" for a few seconds at first).

Bianca Paragon
May 23rd, 2009, 03:52 AM
Are they releasing it on platforms that matter, yet? :D

Archer
May 23rd, 2009, 04:28 AM
Since the majority of the computing world uses Windows, it's not exactly unreasonable to release something on that system first. For the record, I mostly run Linux, so I'm not a Windows fanboy.

Is it really like you're missing anything? Yay, it's got a fast Javascript engine, as far as I'm aware, that's pretty much it. I'd rather stick to Firefox and/or Safari if I happened to be using OSX.

Bianca Paragon
May 23rd, 2009, 05:02 AM
Oh, Safari is pretty much superior; but Chrome is what I use on my Windows boxen and I do like consistency <3

蜃気楼
May 23rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
The version of my Chrome is 2.0.180.0. I tried it on V8 benchmark, and I did not see V8 assembling regexp to machine code... (or it will get around 1000 to 2000)

Virtual Chatot
May 23rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
Still no Linux or Mac port?
tsk tsk Google :|

Luckily, Codeweavers is already working to get their Chromium ports to Mac and Linux to have some of the new features on Chrome 2.0 <3

Zet
May 23rd, 2009, 06:10 PM
You people seem to be forgetting something: Macs and Linux aren't real Operating Systems that's why it's only on Windows

I'm sure enough the google team will figure out how to make it work on the Mac and Linux systems soon enough. But I haven't really seen any impressive changes in V2

Virtual Chatot
May 23rd, 2009, 07:18 PM
You people seem to be forgetting something: Macs and Linux aren't real Operating Systems that's why it's only on WindowsBut if Linux isn't a real operating system, then what powers Google's servers? :(

twocows
May 23rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
But if Linux isn't a real operating system, then what powers Google's servers? :(
Rainbows. Rainbows power Google's servers.

Virtual Chatot
May 24th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Some of my first impressions of Google Chrome 2.0...

- Fullscreen is nice, but I'd at least like a address bar at the top like in Firefox...
- Wonderful with Google Apps, simply wonderful
- Noticeable speed difference