• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Character Names

What do you adress a character by?

• First name

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • Last name

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both last and first name

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Sometimes first name, other times last name

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
Years
  • I've always wanted to know what other people call anime/manga characters who are adressed with either their first or last name in a series.

For example; Bleach. Ichigo is adressed half the time as "Ichigo" and the other have as "Kurosaki" or "Kurosaki-kun" etc.

So, which do you chose; first name, or last?

.Wolfie-kun.

The Raggedy Doctor
    Years
  • Without thinking I tend to say their first name, this is most of the time. But sometimes I decide to use their second name, just because I feel like it :P

Terrain

|distinction.2009-15|
    Years
  • Without thinking I tend to say their first name, this is most of the time. But sometimes I decide to use their second name, just because I feel like it :P
    Same.
    I'm used to addressing them with their first names, but sometimes, when I add a "-kun," "-san" or something like that to the name, I sometimes use their surname instead of their first.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Usually I think I refer to the first name, unless that character has a nickname, in which i go with that nickname (Hinagiku -> Hina). When addressing a full name, it depends on the character. If it's a Japanese-ish name, the Japanese order. For more "foreign" sounding names, by the First Last format.

The bishie thread is an exception, since I do Given, Family just in case.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I tend to use whichever name they're most commonly referred to in the series. Whether that be their first name, last name, or some odd nickname, it's whatever sticks for me.

I prefer first names since that's how Western culture works, but if the characters is almost never referred to with their first name, I won't remember it as well and the name I use when I'm getting into the series is usually what I use to the end. :p

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I prefer last names or anything that other characters call them. Since I'm from the East, I usually go by their last names.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    As a Westener I use their first names sometimes followed by their surnames; it works for the sake of consistency especially since half the characters I speak of are Western themselves anyway, Kate Oslo is Oslo Kate in nobody's eyes.

Obsession

Narcotic Empress
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    I'd usually called them by there first name, Ichigo is a canon example of this. However, someone like Yukari Takeba I'm fairly used to saying her last name first. But its not a common thing for me to do.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
  • It really depends. I just go by whatever sounds better or is used the most.
    Taking Sailor Moon, for example, you wouldn't call Usagi just randomly "Tsukino" it doesn't sound right, where if you call her "Usagi" it sounds better.
    And Super Gals, they call her Kotobuki, and the close friends call her "Ran" It depends I guess. XD

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • I usually go by whichever name/nickname is most used within the series. So it definitely varies and it's usually just those that I can remember straight away really.

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
    Years
  • I usually call them by what they're most commonly referred to. When I'm playing a video game, it's different- depending on my mood, I'll shorten names, or add honorifics when I'm acting like a crazy and shouting at the TV.

Andcetera

Jigglypuff~<333
    Years
  • I muchly perfer to use first names, I never use last names to reffer to characters, seeing as I tend to forget their last names, and the last names don't seem so important to me I;

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    First name usually
    unless the character has a nickname that is used alot in the series, i'll use that instead o3o

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • I call them by their first name normally cause I'm American and that's how we do it in America.

EITHER THAT OR I'll call them by their nickname. FOR EXAMPLE: Iggy, Momotarou... I hate calling characters by their last name, it bugs me for some reason.

Back