• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Rom Base] Ruby or Fire Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2013
    Hello guys!
    I'm trying to make a hack but I'm not sure on what rom base I use. Ruby or Fire Red?
    I wanted to know their opinions. And the advantage of each rom.

I hope you all give opinions!

*If this topic is not here please move to the right place.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    This is the right section for this topic.
    I'll tell you the advatages of each rom base, so you can use whichever you want, i won't push you.
    Ruby's easier to hack, it has more features like better HMs, desert tiles, etc.

Fire Red has better graphics, its more stable, and it has better pallets. >> This is just my opinion, maybe other people dont agree.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • ehh no rom is unstable

ruby
    more overworld sprites
    HM dive
    dive tiles animation sprite
    contests

firered
    more tool compatiblitys
    better tiles
    more maps
    more worldmaps
    better intro sprites
    better credits

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • its more stable,

lololol more stable.

No Advance Gen Pokemon ROM is stable or unstable, it's the tools that are stable and/or unstable. And the only ones you really need are AdvanceMap (which is perfect), XSE (which is perfect) and universal tools like graphic editors.

OT: Why not Emerald, ah?

maybe i shouldn't give myself too much competition with this...

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Ruby's easier to hack
    Why? How is it any easier to hack then any other advance generation ROM?
    it has more features like better HMs

That's subjective.
    desert tiles

Tiles can be changed adequately and eq
    ually in all 3rd generation Pokémon ROMs.
    Fire Red has better graphics
    Again, these can be changed.
    it has better pallets.
    Changeable.
    its more stable
    Rage.....building....

Argument = bwoken :(

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Both have strengths and weaknesses. Ruby has Day and Night, Firered has... I think Level Scripts, not sure.

Either way, it is up to you, as both are nearly identical, and can be hacked to look similar.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    its just the "tool factor" some tools mess up R/S/E terribly.

NatureKeeper

Why? How is it any easier to hack then any other advance generation ROM?

That's subjective.

Tiles can be changed adequately and eq
    ually in all 3rd generation Pokémon ROMs.

Again, these can be changed.

Changeable.

Rage.....building....

Argument = bwoken :(

Agreement. :)

Both have strengths and weaknesses. Ruby has Day and Night, Firered has... I think Level Scripts, not sure.

Either way, it is up to you, as both are nearly identical, and can be hacked to look similar.

Level Scripts are also in ruby. FireRed has a major weakness.

lololol more stable.

No Advance Gen Pokemon ROM is stable or unstable, it's the tools that are stable and/or unstable. And the only ones you really need are AdvanceMap (which is perfect), XSE (which is perfect) and universal tools like graphic editors.

OT: Why not Emerald, ah?

maybe i shouldn't give myself too much competition with this...
    I agree with that point. And nothing's perfect. Advance Map destroys my ROM sometimes. So does XSE.

ehh no rom is unstable

ruby
    more overworld sprites
    HM dive
    dive tiles animation sprite
    contests

firered
    more tool compatiblitys
    better tiles
    more maps
    more worldmaps
    better intro sprites
    better credits

You do recognize that in firered if to much events in a map are stuck near to each other the game overloads and restarts...

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Eh, its up to you. Me personally I'm thinking of Ruby, since it has more OWs than FR.

Years
  • Eh, its up to you. Me personally I'm thinking of Ruby, since it has more OWs than FR.

Yeah, but JPAN's engine-hack patch allows 60,000+ (or something like that), so that post is invalid.

Anyway, I think that Ruby has Contests, PokéNav, etc. which are all great, but I'm used to FireRed so I'm stayin' FR... for now, at least.

If we're talking the actual game, which we arent', but still, I prefer Ruby by miles. I've played it so many times the internal battery's run dry. =P

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Yeah, but JPAN's engine-hack patch allows 60,000+ (or something like that), so that post is invalid.

Anyway, I think that Ruby has Contests, PokéNav, etc. which are all great, but I'm used to FireRed so I'm stayin' FR... for now, at least.

If we're talking the actual game, which we arent', but still, I prefer Ruby by miles. I've played it so many times the internal battery's run dry. =P

Well, I also prefer FR but I want to use Ruby to have some change.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    You do recognize that in firered if to much events in a map are stuck near to each other the game overloads and restarts...

I've never heard of that happening. Aaaaaand I'm pretty sure the cause of that (if it indeed happened to you) is the result of a faulty movement type, namely one of the "Hidden" ones.

NatureKeeper

I've never heard of that happening. Aaaaaand I'm pretty sure the cause of that (if it indeed happened to you) is the result of a faulty movement type, namely one of the "Hidden" ones.

Is hidden the cause? Gosh... Never using it again. :)

Too Bad I stopped my FireRed Project.

dragonarche

Is back :D
    Years
  • Hello guys!
    I'm trying to make a hack but I'm not sure on what rom base I use. Ruby or Fire Red?

I hope you all give opinions!

*If this topic is not here please move to the right place.
    Pokemon Fire Red cause you can get the hacked engline patch
    its in Tool box section :)

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • Fire Red. I'm just used to it, it has more maps to work on and alter, and the best argument I include is the "tool factor", as mentioned above.

There are no advantages/disadvantages that distinct them. Both FR and Ruby have the same adv/disadv (to my point of view, at least).

All in all, I think that you should work on both ROMs and choose yourself. I think that when you try and work on Ruby and FR afterwards (or the opposite, anyway) you might just like only one of the two. It's a matter of personal taste, really.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2010
    I don't think either of the rom has an advantage over the other but if you are a beginner, I'd suggest you start with FR.
    The reason is simple too: Most of the hacks are based on FR. Therefore, it is easier to find support/information if you should require it.
    Other than that, you can hack both of the roms to look pretty much identically. (given you know what you're doing, of course)

Malkner

Falkner in witness protection.
    Years
  • I don't think either of the rom has an advantage over the other but if you are a beginner, I'd suggest you start with FR.
    The reason is simple too: Most of the hacks are based on FR. Therefore, it is easier to find support/information if you should require it.
    Other than that, you can hack both of the roms to look pretty much identically. (given you know what you're doing, of course)

It really boils down to that. If you take the road less traveled by, you'll get lost, be afflicted by poison ivy, and trip over tree roots into bogs, et cetera.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back