• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Wait... How does this work?

zephern

Finishing up school, hacking
Years
  • Okay.
    So, in FR/LG, Giovanni is the eighth gym leader and the leader of TR, correct?
    You battle him first in Celadon City's rocket game corner, and he has only 3 Pokemon, all in the level 29-31 range.
    When you encounter him as the Gym leader of Viridian City, he's got six Pokemon, and now they're in the level 42-50 range.

How the heck did he become the eighth gym leader from the start with Pokemon as weak as Erika?

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • He probably bought his position, or something like that, Mafia-style. The gym-tract/E4 group are pretty corrupt in the mangas, so why not the games? Plus we don't even really know how gym leaders are appointed, as even Maylene in DPP seems a bit surprised that she's ended up as one.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • What's so weird about it?

Isn't it as natural as your rival getting his pokemon leveled up every time you battle him?

It's just a bigger boost, that's all. You could say that Giovanni has a stock of rare candies...
    You can also say that they didn't think about it very much on Blue/Red, and had to do the same on the remakes.

Doesn't that make sense?

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • What's so weird about it?

Isn't it as natural as your rival getting his pokemon leveled up every time you battle him?

It's just a bigger boost, that's all. You could say that Giovanni has a stock of rare candies...
    You can also say that they didn't think about it very much on Blue/Red, and had to do the same on the remakes.

Doesn't that make sense?

I think the OP is trying to say is that as the Eighth Gym Leader, Giovanni's Pokémon ought to always be more powerful than those of the other Gym Leaders', yet the first time you encounter him his Pokes are stuck at Level 30.

It makes sense in terms of the sequence of gameplay, but not a lot in the game's storyline. Unless when Giovanni closed the gym he got himself some more Pokémon to train afresh.

Last edited:

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • I think the OP is trying to say is that as the Eighth Gym Leader, Giovanni's Pokémon ought to always be more powerful than those of the other Gym Leaders', yet the first time you encounter him his Pokes are stuck at Level 30.

It makes sense in terms of the sequence of gameplay, but not a lot in the game's storyline. Unless when Giovanni closed the gym he got himself some more Pokémon to train afresh.
    Well, it's naturally what you said. But I used those two statements because the author's question doesn't really affect the gameplay aspects, but the natural aspects, such as the fact that the leader of TR would have better pokemon initially. So, I'm just trying to find an explanation that doesn't have to deal with gameplay, but storyline, in the end.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • Maybe all of the gym leaders started out with weak Pokemon, right? What if all of the gym leaders had weak pokemon, but by the time you got to them, they trained the weak Pokemon to be strong?

Mostly, I think, Giovanni just used his weak pokemon against you the first time (maybe he didn't suspect such a powerful trainer to arrive at Celadon) because he never used his Kangaskan or Onix in the later Gym battle, just his Ryhorn.

Last edited:

キラキラ

KiraKira
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2011
    Think about it like this..
    When you begin the game, ALL GYMS and TRAINERS have their levels low, let's say level 10. Then as you progress further, they are also training and getting stronger. Just because Gio had level 30 Pokemon doesn't mean they were weak at the time. The other Gym leaders could have still had lower levels.

Try to make sense of that, lol.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Maybe when you first encountered Giovanni, he wasn't a Gym Leader, and just a Pokemon Mafia Boss. However, somewhere between your quest for the sixth and seventh badge, he became the Gym Leader with stronger Pokemon? That's the only logical reason I can give this.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I would be willing to bet that he just... Feeds them endless amounts of rare candies. That is interesting, I never thought of that.

Toxicroak

Mustard
    Years
  • WELL! i have the answer!

Giovanni is technically the 1st gym leader when your going through the game. (this means he should have low level Pokemon)

BUT

He is away, presumably breaking the law.

He is at the game place roughly halfway through the game, so he has had time to train.

By the time he is finished his pokemon are epic.

So he returns to the gym and battles.

in conclusion, he is the technically the first gym leader therefore having weak pokemon but he trained while he was away.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • Hey may have used different pokemon? Got to be leader in some mafia way? The gym leader is unknown for a long time, so maybe it had no gym leader, until Giovanni, who had raised his pokemon to be really strong, came along to take the position.

But this is pokemon, and pokemon doesn't always make sense...

Edit: Didn't read the above post before, now I have and the post sounds about right.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Jessie and James were meant to transport his pokemon from the gym to the Rocket HQ, but lost them, so he had to start again :p

Back