• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Serious Discussion and Debate?

Azzurra

Banned
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    I honestly think that there should be a section for this here. From what I can see, the majority of users are mature enough for this kind of discussion and or debate. I'm sure that if it was introduced as well it'd have a big impact on the forum as a whole. I mean, serious issues could be talking about and not in a demeaning way - but in a more serious, more adult way.

I'd love it if you guys considered this at least.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I've always wanted a forum for more serious discussion on more heated topics. Not nesicarrily inappropriate like the Dome allotted, but a place in a separate forum than Other Chat that housed more mature discussions where people could debate the topics civilly. Unfortunately, to put it bluntly, some of PC members aren't the brightest and most mature bulbs in the box. It's unfortunate because the amount of people I believe who could hold their own in these kinds of discussions are the minority compared to those I don't believe can.

But you have to remember that PokéCommunity, above all, is a forum directed towards children and pre-teens, due to the nature of what Pokémon is. I think the reason why there are so many older people is because we grew up in that generation and that's why so many of us are still here today (that is, among other reasons like friendships).

I do remember higher staff stating that if there were a sufficient amount of threads posted in Other Chat that can be classified as serious discussions and debates, that a sub-forum or a forum on its own would be considered.

But I want this to happen as well.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • I'd be very interested, since right now that stuff has to go in off topic and barely anyone would notice that. It would have to have serious discussions though, you don't want someone debating, for example, what to eat...
    @Aladdin: Well there never is going to be enough serious discussions in off topic since nobody will be looking there for them. There would be enough serious discussions if there was an actual forum for it. So in the end, we might as well try it and see what happens, it doesn't have to be very active to be worth while.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    I'd be very interested, since right now that stuff has to go in off topic and barely anyone would notice that. It would have to have serious discussions though, you don't want someone debating, for example, what to eat...
    On the contrary, lifestyle could actually be a brilliant topic to start things off with. That is, if you're mature enough to discuss it maturely. But, we still need to wait for feedback from the higher staff before this is considered. It's great that I've got a couple of fellow members agreeing with me though, and I thank you for that.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I'd be very interested, since right now that stuff has to go in off topic and barely anyone would notice that. It would have to have serious discussions though, you don't want someone debating, for example, what to eat...
    If it were to happen, I'm quite positive that it would be one of the most heavily moderated forums in the community. Not necessarily with more moderators, but with a lot more rules and guidelines to follow than that of Other Chat, or Other Voting Polls, for example. I'm sure that the consequences for breaking the guidelines would be a lot more impactful and would be less tolerable of rule breakers as well, which is a good thing considering the nature of the forum.

So I don't think things like that would be a problem. Besides, those can easily be moved to Other Chat if it isn't exactly serious. But with all the things going on in the world today (despite some getting better) there's a lot to be said and a lot that needs to be said.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • I agree with this 100%, I was on my school debating team and love to debate :3

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    @Aladdin: Well there never is going to be enough serious discussions in off topic since nobody will be looking there for them. There would be enough serious discussions if there was an actual forum for it. So in the end, we might as well try it and see what happens, it doesn't have to be very active to be worth while.
    The off topic forums is where they belong. Why wouldn't any one be looking for them there? That doesn't make any sense. For a long time, Other Chat has proven to house debates on the occasion and some of them end up to be rather successful. It's a shame that they often end up the same, though, getting out of hand and ending up getting locked because most people don't understand the concept of debating and like to make things personal. And Other Chat is the forum for it at the moment.

On the contrary, lifestyle could actually be a brilliant topic to start things off with. That is, if you're mature enough to discuss it maturely. But, we still need to wait for feedback from the higher staff before this is considered. It's great that I've got a couple of fellow members agreeing with me though, and I thank you for that.
    It's not going to be considered until there's proof that its necessary, unless one of the higher staff members really agree with you and put their limbs out to make this happen. The majority of the higher staff have to agree on this, after all. More likely than not, its not going to happen. Not any time soon, anyway. :(

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • The off topic forums is where they belong. Why wouldn't any one be looking for them there? That doesn't make any sense. For a long time, Other Chat has proven to house debates on the occasion and some of them end up to be rather successful. It's a shame that they often end up the same, though, getting out of hand and ending up getting locked because most people don't understand the concept of debating and like to make things personal. And Other Chat is the forum for it at the moment.
    I meant that since most of the topics there aren't debates and, like you said people don't take it seriously and it gets locked, people aren't going to bother looking for a debate or even make a new one. If there was a forum dedicated to it then anyone less inclined to post/create a thread would be a lot more likely too.

Zet

Years
  • While it would be good to see a serious discussion forum, you have to remember that a large amount of members here are just kids and wouldn't really be able to provide a full discussion for various topics and would just result in spam and flame wars. It would be like the reputation system without the reputation system, lot's of reports about "abuse" and other such nonsense would arise and will eventually lead to the removal of the forum.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • It may seem a little strange, and I have no idea if it would be possible to do, or even help at all, but maybe implement a post restriction so only people with 100+ posts could reply and ones with 200+ create a new thread?

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • But you can go on HG/SS and make 100 posts by saying "Brock is my favourite Gym Leader :)" (example). Using postcount to prove maturity would be a suicide in some cases.

This idea already came up a few times last year, and the reply from the Higher Staff, as I think Nick said, was that said threads would go in OC until we had a big enough demand to warrant a dedicate subforum. Because Other Chast is for "all these threads and topics that don't belong in any other forums", and that includes all kind of debate threads :(

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I like the idea too. People take it OT though, only because they either feel they identify too well to the topic (thus bring in their emotions) or not at all (which can sometimes lead to trolling).

Not to mention the people who get easily offended (shame on them!).

It's so rare to see a good debate on the internet, if it can be done here, that would be awesome. Of course that may warrant a larger mod presence which I am inclined to think, no mod is up to.

Years
  • I already had this proposed WAAAAYYY long time ago. Another member brought it up 2 years ago, etc.

The usual defense is "OH NOEZ IT WILL BE TEH SPAMZORZ"

But nooooo they keep on saying "Keep in it OC, what's the problem with OC?"

Without realizing it's weird to see OC filled with whatever.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
  • It won't work. I've seen this implemented on Serebii, and trolling and flame-warring run rampant in their Debate section. Granted, the moderators here are far less ignorant and hit hard any rulebreakers, but a Debate section is bound to lead to flaming, trolling, spamming, and the resulting banhammer.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    It won't work. I've seen this implemented on Serebii, and trolling and flame-warring run rampant in their Debate section. Granted, the moderators here are far less ignorant and hit hard any rulebreakers, but a Debate section is bound to lead to flaming, trolling, spamming, and the resulting banhammer.

It would be good to thin out the stupidity and ignorance though. Some people though, that since they can't take the heat of the topic, will take it out on the debater themselves, it really is quite sad...

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • It won't work. I've seen this implemented on Serebii, and trolling and flame-warring run rampant in their Debate section. Granted, the moderators here are far less ignorant and hit hard any rulebreakers, but a Debate section is bound to lead to flaming, trolling, spamming, and the resulting banhammer.
    What's wrong with taking the "banhammer" out? You end up with less spam forum wide in the end.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • If I've learned anything from the course of PC's history, it's that you can't take a Pokemon forum and make any addition that comes to mind work. If you want to go somewhere with a debate forum, go there. But, as it stands, there will never be one here.

It's true, we encourage that debates go in Other Chat. But, you know what? Almost all of the time, threads with a debatable nature end up closed eventually, because people can't handle the discussion maturely. PC's immature populace far outnumbers the mature one, so I can't fathom how this could possibly work without banning a good portion of the userbase. x.x

Years
  • If I've learned anything from the course of PC's history, it's that you can't take a Pokemon forum and make any addition that comes to mind work. If you want to go somewhere with a debate forum, go there. But, as it stands, there will never be one here.

It's true, we encourage that debates go in Other Chat. But, you know what? Almost all of the time, threads with a debatable nature end up closed eventually, because people can't handle the discussion maturely. PC's immature populace far outnumbers the mature one, so I can't fathom how this could possibly work without banning a good portion of the userbase. x.x

The thing is I just find it weird to see rational discussions flooded by "whatever" threads in OC. I mean seeing the usual "End of the World" threads alongside the Haiti Catastrophe one is just. >______>

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    [jq]The thing is I just find it weird to see rational discussions flooded by "whatever" threads in OC. I mean seeing the usual "End of the World" threads alongside the Haiti Catastrophe one is just. >______>[/jq]
    Seeing TCTI and DLTMS0 stickied and next to each other makes me go. >________>

Years
  • [jq]The thing is I just find it weird to see rational discussions flooded by "whatever" threads in OC. I mean seeing the usual "End of the World" threads alongside the Haiti Catastrophe one is just. >______>[/jq]
    Seeing TCTI and DLTMS0 stickied and next to each other makes me go. >________>

Pffttt...One is for the LEETZ the other for the Poor guys. XD

Back