• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Interchangeable Types...

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I have been playing pokemon games and one thing that has always bugged me were certain Types... Specifically the Types that have similar types to it. Like Rock/Ground/Steel, Water/Ice, and Dark/Ghost. I get that they were looking for more types for there game but really? I would think that those are pretty much the same things. I mean if you bury a Nosepass then does it become ground type? or if you Freeze a Squirtle does it become Ice type? shouldnt ground or rock types already have trace amounts of metals in them? and who decided on Steel as the name? why not just call it Metal? Isnt Gengar made of shadows? why is Gengar a poison type? it knows more dark moves than poison moves... just a little rant. COMMENT!

Bird Keeper

Master of the Skies
    Years
  • The distinction between Rock and Ground still doesn't make any sense to me. Better to roll them both into one and be done with it.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • I see what you're getting at, and frankly, it's bugged me too.

First, i always thought Steel should be renamed as Metal. Why? Because, Steel is a metal, so it cannot be possible for every 'Metal-Type' to be made of steel.

Second, I never got the whole Rock/Ground thing, but I understand the Water/Ice.

To explain, Pokemon which are Water/Ice tend to be sea creatures, and up til now, every sea creature-based Pokemon has been part Water, so to make Sealeo and its family pure Ice is to say that they are made of Ice, which clearly isn't true.

Also, Rock/Steel does bug me, but it's understandablke because the Pokemon in question (Steelix) could be made of equal parts Rock and equal parts Steel, hence Rock/Steel.

Also, Dark/Ghost is a form of reference to shadows. Since not all Ghost-Types lurk in shadows, not all of them are Dark/Ghost. To answer the bit about Gengar, its because it was created before the Dark-Type, and since the rest of its family had the Poison sub-type, it remained with it.

kyunyo

-nomnomnomnom-
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2010
    Ah... what incredible insight to that. I never really thought much of it. You make a good point though, but here are my opinions...

I think they were looking for more variety and elements of nature instead of just water, fire, grass, etc.
    Just because you freeze a Squirtle in an ice block doesn't mean it has ice abilities. xD I'm sure everyone knows about the generic: Fire beats Grass, Grass beats Water, Water beats Fire thing. (It's all the starters in each region, for Pete's sakes. xP) I think the ice element is not like water because you can kill Grass pokemon with ice moves. >3> I think they're relating all these new types to how nature interacts. o. o; I don't know everything though.

Not sure why they call it steel and not metal. Maybe steel sounds cooler?

I think the reason why Gengar is still a poison type is because it's first form, Gastly, is made of poison fumes and smog and stuff. o-o I think...

Ground is earth itself, while rock is just rock. Ground can nullify electrical attacks because probably of the idea that it absorbs it? I have no idea really. ._. Just all in theory I supposed. xP And I think that Rock can beat Grass...egad, I haven't played pokemon in so long I forgot... >.o

Sorry if I'm wrong, but that's what I can draw from what I remembered of pokemon. xP

Clover Cat

Child of Gold and Crystal
    Years
  • If Ground is immune to electric moves, why not Rock? They're made of basically the same composition, and rocks still pass electric volts down through the earth, same as the ground. Really, these two are indistinguishable and I don't understand why they're not one and the same, so you make a good point.

On the other hand, steel is made of different elements then rocks or ground, which is why I think they made it a different type. And honestly, I think the word 'Steel' sounds cooler then 'Metal'.

Water and ice are also different forms of matter. Water is a liquid and ice is a solid. I'm assuming this is the main difference between the two, at least for the moves. As for Pokemon like Seal...perhaps the ice is part of its coat which protects it from the cold? I guess the fault here is the Pokedex entries for not going into more detail about these things.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • For Rock and Ground. I've come to see that in most media that has elements, Ground is thrown in with Grass and called either Earth or Nature. Whereas Rock could go either way, being lumped in with Nature (or Earth), or being something completely on its own.

As for Steel, you have to forgive them there. They needed two new type to balance the other types. They already had 15 types, what were they going to go with? As for why its called Steel instead of Metal. For a start, Metal is hard on the tongue compared to Steel. Also, technically a lot more things are metal than you'd think. Lastly, in the card game, it is called Metal.

With Water and Ice, I personally think they should probably be the same. But that's not to say there aren't maining differences between the two.

With Dark and Ghost I don't really see the similarity. Not all ghosts are evil and not everything that's evil is a ghost.

iLaxbe!

by Duke R
    Years
  • Hmm, maybe you are used to other RPG, with only Fire, Water, Earth and Air, something like that?

I get your point, but what if Rock and Ground were the same, like a Mineral type. How could you distinguish between a Super-effective and an Ineffective attack on a Flying-type Pokémon (e.g. Rock Throw or Dig on a Pidgeotto).

Speaking of Flying, they should split it in Bird- and Aerial-Type (Gligar, Hoppip and Mantyke don't fly). Although the types would be too similar, maybe Xatu could get the same immunity to Ghost-type as any other Normal/Flying Pokémon (that are all Birds).

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Like Rock/Ground/Steel, Water/Ice, and Dark/Ghost. I get that they were looking for more types for there game but really?
    I don't like it either, but it would be much harder to make an original type and still be slightly logical. Would you expect to see a water/fire or a ghost/normal?

I mean if you bury a Nosepass then does it become ground type? or if you Freeze a Squirtle does it become Ice type?
    No, a pokemon has a specific inert type. If you get poisoned as a human, you wouldn't be classified as a poison.

shouldnt ground or rock types already have trace amounts of metals in them?
    I think metal forms much farther under the ground. Anyways, humus is found in soil, so why aren't they also part grass type?

and who decided on Steel as the name? why not just call it Metal?
    Because most of the steel pokemon, if not all, are made of steel. I'll agree with you once we get an orichalcum or gold pokemon.

Isnt Gengar made of shadows? why is Gengar a poison type? it knows more dark moves than poison moves... just a little rant. COMMENT!

Actually, I think Ghastly was supposed to be a poison cloud, which is evident in the pokedex data.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Ground is immune to electric because you can divert an electric charge by "grounding" it (channelling GCSE Physics here).

Rock refers mainly to Pokemon made of Rock, while Ground refers to Pokemon with some connection to the Earth (living underground like Sandshrew or causing Earthquakes like Wiscash).

Steel is different to the above two because it's about metals, not rocks. Steel-type just sounds better than Metal-type.

Water Pokemon live in the water, Ice Pokemon live in arctic areas.

Ghost-types are related to departed spirits, Dark-types just cover sneaky/evil Pokemon. Gengar is part-poison because it's a cloud of poison gas (and making it Ghost/Dark would send it into uber territory, same reason Gyrados isn't Water/Dragon and Magnezone doesn't have Levitate - logic comes second to game mechanics).

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • normal and flying, why does flying have to be a secondary type? I want a pure flying type. Samething with steel. ITS A SECONDARY TYPE! arghhh......

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • Rock and Ground aren't the same, if you threw mud at someone it would feel different from throwing rock. Also a metal type would be too vague, have seen how many metals are on the periodic table. Also steel being an alloy makes it better than just metal since no Pokemon is a pure metal substance, unless later you get a pure gold Pokemon, something like a golden Snorlax.

Bird Keeper

Master of the Skies
    Years
  • normal and flying, why does flying have to be a secondary type? I want a pure flying type. Samething with steel. ITS A SECONDARY TYPE! arghhh......

This isn't necessarily bad. Normal typing gives immunity to Ghost attacks and Flying type cancels Normal's usual weakness to Fighting.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2010
    I hated the fact that all the grass types in Generation I were part poison.
    And Nidoqueen/Nidoking are part ground type, but ground types are still super-effective against them? What?

iLaxbe!

by Duke R
    Years
  • I hated the fact that all the grass types in Generation I were part poison.
    Exeggcute, Exeggutor, Tangela.
    And Nidoqueen/Nidoking are part ground type, but ground types are still super-effective against them? What?
    If you check a type matching chart, you'll see that not every type is resistant to itself. Some types, like Ghost and Dragon, are even weak to their own moves.

Halcyon

peace and serenity
    Years
  • I don't really care about it because Pokemon doesn't make any real sense.

Although I want Glalie to be Ice/Rock and a Sound type to be created as well.

Back