• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Gardevoir still a good pokemon?

Is Gardevoir still a good pokemon?

• Yes

Votes: 47 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters

JTrainer

I care about my Pokemon
Years
  • In your opinion, do you think Gardevoir is a good pokemon to use?

I ask this because recently, she fell from UU to NU. I know that is based on usage, not power, but the reason for the drop in usage baffles me. Gardevoir is a popular pokemon, and is actually really good when used right, so I'm confused as to why people don't use her as much anymore.

But, regardless, do you think Gardevoir is still a good pokemon to use, or do you think she should just be forgotten?

Personally, I think Gardevoir is still a very good pokemon. She is my all-time favorite and a great part of my team. To me, its not how often a pokemon is used that determines its power, but rather if that pokemon is able to hold its own in battle.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023
    i used gardevior for my ruby version. i got through the 7th gym easily with her. really good special attack. i used about 3 calm minds and 1HKO'd solrock and lunatone with 2 shadow balls. since mine had trace, i had a huge advantage in that gym, considering tate and liza's use of earthquake
    overall, gardevior has pretty good stats and should be used more in battles.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • When I first got Sapphire I caught a Ralts and evolved it into Gardevoir completely unaware of the outcome (had no idea Gardevoir exsisted.) I raised it to be about Lv.77 in Sapphire, falling in thrid only to my Lv.100 Kyogre an my Lv.85 Blaziken. Personally, I think Gardevoir is an excellent Pokemon to have, and is Espeon wasn't my first choice Psychic-Type, I'd definitly use Gradevoir more often.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I caught my Ralts in Ruby back in 2004, I EV trained mine in Emerald, and it is a powerhouse in my Diamond version.

Weird, I've had my Gardevoir for six years D:

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Odd, I really like Gardevoir, appearance and battle wise. The reason why I never used her much was because I have Pokemons such as Alakazam, Metagross, Porygon-Z, Slowking, and Brozong.

Her movesets is really good; one could get Psychic three levels after evolving her. Plus, her base special atk. stats are particularly high.

Hm, maybe it's just a phase? Gardevoir will probably return to the UU by next week or month.

Grifstar

Certified Shark Bait
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I haven't used a Gardevoir since the generation shift, so I don't really know. Plus the one I had in Sapphire wasn't really the best, horrible nature(because I didn't know what the natures were at the time and already had her at a high level when I did) and probably just bad stats in general. She was still part of my main team and all, but definitely wasn't my strongest. But then if I recall the E4 in RSE was not very friendly to psychics anyway (what was it, a ghost and dark trainer back to back? x-x)

And in DP I was more hyped about Gallade simply because it was new and "omg a melee psychic?" nevermind Medicham... or Metagross. Gardevoir was just kinda pushed to the side.

But people still use them quite a bit from what I hear, so they're still good.

JeTz

ジェット
    Years
  • Gardevoir was a good Pokemon and still a good Pokemon but because of Gallade out, most people just wanted because it was cool-looking. IMO, Gardevoir has some nice movepool and a nice Sp.Atk stat.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    You remind me of myself with this question. But in the competitive battling world, a Pokemons tier can change when people figure out more common counters and such, and Gardevoir is now a VERY easy pokemon to counter when in UU. I felt the same way about a few Pokemon I used to use.

Kendall

Fool of a Took
    Years
  • Are you kidding me? Of course Gardevoir is still good! I've used her in every game since Sapphire. Usually use her for a mix of support and special attack. Helped me turn the tide in quite a few battles. Also, I usually don't go by tiers, I just use my favorites (no ubers though).

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Of course Gardevoir is still good I know she's outclassed by Azelf and a few other psychics but at least she's better than some aswell.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    It would be much better if it was a bit faster, and if Ralts didn't have a single digit encounter rate.
    But yeah, it's pretty awesome as a special attacker otherwise.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • I daresay this belongs in Strategy and Movesets.

In a competitive sense, no, Gardevoir's pretty bad in the DPPt/HGSS metagame.

HOWEVER, in-game and in an overall sense, Gardevoir is awesome.

Rapide

Self-esteemed Wumbologist.
    Years
  • I wonder why Gardevoir is in the UU/NU tiers. Gardevoir should be used more in battling because of its high special attack and special defense. When I used to competitive battle, Gardevoir was my Tank and my Sweeper. I got so many wins with it, but when I started using another Pokemon instead, my wins got less frequent. That only shows the power of Gardevoir right there.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I wonder why Gardevoir is in the UU/NU tiers. Gardevoir should be used more in battling because of its high special attack and special defense. When I used to competitive battle, Gardevoir was my Tank and my Sweeper. I got so many wins with it, but when I started using another Pokemon instead, my wins got less frequent. That only shows the power of Gardevoir right there.

It's UU/NU because it only worked as a special pokemon. The speed was mediocre at best, the attack and defense was poor, and the HP wasn't much better. Diversity and rockin' special stats don't matter if you get OHKO'd by every physical sweeper around(and since both Weavile and Tyranitar are in OU, it won't be commonplace to find a gardevoir there.) If it's a trace Gardevoir, you could get switch in time for a slaking, which could do unsurprisingly well against it.

It's still awesome ingame, but outside is another story.

Lastly, correlation≠causation. But this is all what it seems like to me.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • I'd say so. Her main ability, Trace is still almost exclusive (with the other user being Porygon-Z's own counterpart, Porygon2) to just herself, and while she's by no means bulky, she still has more upper body strength then that frail old Alakazam or tiny little Azelf. Basically, she's a support, and of the subclasses, she works best as a healer/screener. In the words of a distant game, letting your healer take hits is a BAD IDEA, but so long as you keep her out of trouble (she can usually take glancing non-super effective blows), Gardevoir can make a great supporter, especially in real battling, where Wish Blissey is rarer then Arceus. She also works quite fine with Gallade, though Porygon2 might give better coverage to the knight.

Takoto

Illustrator
    Years
  • I use Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir every time I start a game in R/S/E, and I'm thinking of training up a Gardevoir in Platinum... So, I'd still use it even though it's NU... Then again, I don't give a damn about all this NU, UU, OU business.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • It's NU because, like Espeon, it's only popular with people who don't realize ~90% of Psychic-types have the same (or better) movepools with superior stats.

Plus, Gallade is now the better of the two evolutions.

The Red Chain

I think the reason Gardevoir is NU is because it can't even take a Pursuit from your basic lead dark types like Weavile.
    Even behind a Reflect Gardevoir can just barely hang on.
    HP would normally be the saving grace for Pokemon with low defenses and/or special defenses but Gardevoir only has 68 base HP.
    Not good at all..

The difference between Gallade and Gardevoir is that Gallade is part Fighting while Gardevoir is only Psychic type.
    The Fighting part of Gallade neutralizes Dark damage [and Bug] so it can take Pursuits and so on better than Gardevoir can.
    Gardevoir is a good Pokemon in game and all but in the metagame it's highly outclassed by leads such as Uxie, Bronzong, Azelf, Alakazam ect.

Last edited:

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    To be fair, I beat my HeartGold using a Male Combee.

It's really doesn't matter how good a Pokemon does ingame. It's TRUE potential is only realized when fighting against another player in competitive battling.

Gardevoir sucks. There, I said it. It's easy to counter, and it's Speed is a let down compared to the likes of Alakazam and Azelf. Gardevoir is best suited to more defensive purposes, but still falls flat of being amazing even there(Crap HP and whatnot). Plus there are many other Psychic types that can do everything Gardevoir is capable of doing, only better.

Back