• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think that because a singer does something wrong, their music should suffer?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    In a world of scandals that singers are often involved in, sometimes society frowns upon a singer because they did something they weren't proud of. This could range from punching someone, to having an affair, but either way society is divided - whether to continue liking the singer, or following the crowd and disliking them. Although for the latter, sometimes due to your own morals you may not like the singer anymore. However the overall standing of the singer in society often affects their music - the real reason why people liked the singer in the first place, not for what they've done, or will do.

1. Should society as a whole stop listening to // supporting the music of the singer that does something wrong? [ This may be because people feel that listening to their music encourages such acts to occur, and by not listening, it shows you're taking a stand against it. ]
    2. Are there any singers that you have stopped listening to because of something they've done?

I don't think people should stop listening to those singers, actually, I think they should do the opposite, and listen to them even more, which shows that although they've done something you feel is wrong, their music shouldn't be affected. You could be the worst person in the world, but still be a good singer - it shouldn't matter. At first, I felt this way with Chris Brown. Well, I supported him initially and listened to his music a lot more, but a few months later it sunk in, and I actually contemplated not listening to him anymore. However after hearing Forever on the radio the next day, [ which at the time hadn't happened since the incident, so about 7 months later ] I realised that although he did something wrong, he still produces good quality music in my opinion. The fact that I was willing to stop listening to his music because of that was stupid, especially for songs that have already played a prominent role in my life.

Years
  • I think that when listening to a song, you should concentrate on the music, not on who made it. At least that's what I do when I listen to bands with a dark history, like Mayhem or Emperor.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • Yup, for precisely the example you cited. Chris Brown is a horrible person and does not deserve continued success. It'd be the same if he was in another profession as well (sports for example). If you're going to savagely beat your girlfriend you are going to lose my support and ultimately my cash.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    1. Should society as a whole stop listening to // supporting the music of the singer that does something wrong? [ This may be because people feel that listening to their music encourages such acts to occur, and by not listening, it shows you're taking a stand against it. ] If I had the money, I'd buy Charles Manson's CDs, so guess not
    2. Are there any singers that you have stopped listening to because of something they've done?
    I've never boycotted a musician, probably won't ever, but I do have a dislike list.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • 1. Should society as a whole stop listening to // supporting the music of the singer that does something wrong? [ This may be because people feel that listening to their music encourages such acts to occur, and by not listening, it shows you're taking a stand against it. ]

1.) No. I don't believe so because the singers have already touched your heart. That would be like me saying, "Well, I've been into South Park practically since I was little. Suddenly Matt Stone gets dragged off to prison for murder. I suddenly, for no rhyme or reason, hate South Park and anything affiliated with it!" I don't hate singers because they aren't saints. Hell, I probably would do a lot of stupid **** myself if I were out there singing on stage with people/paparazzi begging to father my first-born child.

2.) The closest thing that happened in that category was, well, to be blunt, I started to feel almost gay listening to Britney Spears. Watching her videos, listening to her music, I mean, I guess I just got tired of hearing about her talking about and hinting on her body and sex life. I just got bored of it and I moved on to heavier things. I love Britney, but her older stuff. Like, VERY early 2000's and 1999. I can't really think of anything else.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    1) No not at all. if it's art then it's art and always will be and the quality of it doesn't just change because of something they have done. Kanye West for instance will always be one of the most creative rappers there is.

2) To be honest, I stopped listening to Chris Brown completely... though I didn't care for him much before, I just can't listen to his music without thinking about how much of an animal he is.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Of course not. Kanye West will always be one of the best MC's of the 21st century. Chris Brown touched my heart once with "Forever". It would be messed up if I just started hating on him when he admitted that he actually beat up Rihanna.

No, never. The reason why I stop listening to one's song is not because I hate the artist; it's that I listened to it too much.

Algo Fonix

oh god
    Years
  • I don't listen to music because I think the people performing are good, upstanding citizens. Heck, I listen to music written by murderers and arsonists.

So no, I don't think what they do in their personal lives really matters. Sure they can be bastards, but if the music is good then it's fine with me.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 20, 2022
    I don't think any Artists deserve success when they turn greedy and only do it for the money

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Society as a whole shouldn't stop listening to something. You, as an individual, can if you so wish. Just as you don't listen to everything under the sun to begin with. Anything can be a reason not to listen to someone.

Whatever they did doesn't necessary affect their work, but a consumer can choose to consume for whatever reason they want.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I can't listen to songs by rappers that do moronic things in their lives. If the person is a jackass, then I have no interest in how good their music is. If they are just plain criminals and thugs, then it's even less reason to listen.

I won't even listen to Kanye West anymore. That guy is as arrogant as a human can get, so I have no interest in supporting him.

Back