• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You in it for the money or what?

Assuming basic living's not a problem, would you do your dream/current job for free?

• Heck yeah! I love my job; it's just a bonus that they give me money!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Heck no! I need my monies. That sportscar is not going to buy itself!

• Well, I love my job, but I like the money too. I'll go with no.

• What's the point in doing something if you don't get paid?

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
  • Well, I was talking with a co-worker about this the other day, and it got me wondering. His goal, job-wise, is to make good money to live off. However, I never really cared about money, and my goals are based off what I want to do. I'd do it for free if I could afford to, lol.

So, what about the rest of you? Are your dream-jobs and/or current jobs as such because they're something you enjoy doing, or because you enjoy that paycheque you get at the end of the week? ^_^

Last edited:

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
  • Well, I was talking with a co-worker about this the other day, and it got me wondering. His goal, job-wise, is to make good money to live off. However, I never really cared about money, and my goals are based off what I want to do. I'd do it for free if I could afford to, lol.

So, what about the rest of you? Are your dream-jobs and/or current jobs as such because it's something you enjoy doing, or because you enjoy that paycheque you get at the end of the week? ^_^
    I'd gladly give up my dumb career path to work by your side. :D Get me a position.

I can't say I love what I do for a living because I honestly don't think about it very much at all.... so meh. Mainly for the money.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    Haha, I think I'm kinda more in it for the money. I guess what I love to do would be more of a hobby, but I prefer to gain a lot of money and be secure financially. That's what would make me be able to sleep at night, not the fact that I'm doing what I love. I'm more of an artsy person, and most artists are poor, hence the expression "starving artist." So yeah, I think I'm more in it for the money. But my dream job is to become a film director. Hopefully. :D

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I've always dreamed of becoming a field Archeologist. Meaning you don't have to teach but at the same time you also make very little money in comparison to teaching Archeology at a university.

Travel the world, get your hands on history, ect.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • I'd gladly give up my dumb career path to work by your side. :D Get me a position.

I can't say I love what I do for a living because I honestly don't think about it very much at all.... so meh. Mainly for the money.
    I'll let you know when we're hiring. :P

And I definitely wouldn't be doing my current job for free, as I'm just doing it for rent and tuition, XD. But later on when I graduate and go job-hunting, money won't be getting me anywhere I don't want to go. ^_^

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Usually, when it's available, I'll try to find a job that doesn't pay like shite, but after I find what I may be most interested in, I'll try to get a job that I like if I'm not satisfied with my current one.

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    This is probably because I'm an immature teenager with dreams and no sense of reality, but I really don't care for the money. I don't see the point in being forced to go to a job for the money even if you're not really happy with it. Money doesn't buy happiness, afterall.

I'm a total art geek, and I'd rather spend my life doing something I love (namely, uh, art) instead of something that'll make me a millionaire. Besides, I've always been very frugal and cheap, so I don't know what I'd ever do with lots of money. Hahaha. As long as I have enough to pay the bills and food, I think I'll be happy. I'm somewhat sick of all my teachers telling me to be a doctor or business leader or something, and that doing art will get me nowhere, though.

Ah, whatever. I'm just an immature teenager afterall.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    My upcoming job is for the money, which will help me reach my dream job.

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
  • My dream job is just something that I'd love to do. It makes me feel like I'm making a difference in the world. But, it also pays good. XD However, I'd help people for free if they did not have money.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I find all jobs rather boring, I have my own things I want to do, so no I wouldn't do it for free unless what I want to do at the time involves what my job entails (say I'm a courier and fancied a drive...), even then, that's only one moment of one day, ha.

Ayselipera

What I want to do in life can only be done with money unless I find a way to mooch off someone else. So if worse comes to worse then yeah I'll have to get a job that I don't enjoy, but brings in the cash.

Years
  • What I want to do in the future isn't about the money (Graphic Design and such,) I want to do it for that reason alone: wanting to do it. (Though money is a nice bonus to it xD)

Years
  • My current job, no, I wouldn't do it for free. It's not my dream job, sorry to say. It's how I survive. So, yeah, I work for the money there. And chances are for the majority of the jobs in my life, if not all of them, it will be more about the paycheck and less that I truly enjoy the job.

Ideally, I'd like to publish my writing... I'd be willing to write for free if someone would enjoy it as much as I do. Because let's face it, I already do it for free, and chances are unless I really work on the prose, I'll never actually get published and paid for it. Being able to talk to someone about it in-depth, at this point, would be enough payment for me.

Sarah Paliner

:: Zetsubou no Carnival ::
    Years
  • My dream job would be to be a professor in microbiology teaching and researching at a university. I would imagine it to be quite a rewarding experience, and I absolutely love living in a university campus, so I can probably say I would do it for free.

Though I may take some side jobs for extra money, though, since just basic necessities wouldn't really be enough for me unless my spouse also makes money in addition to those basic necessities already covered by a magical money tree.

Back