• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Hacker's Motivation

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2016
    What motivates you to hack and why do you do it?

I cant stick with hacking, there will be times that its really fun but then I start losing interest in it and there goes my motivation.

So tell me, what do you do to keep interest in hacking?

PeregrineFig

Starting Pokémon Obsidian
    Years
  • My constant motivation is my own sense of pride. Scripting and things like that become incredibly frustrating at times, but when I write a complex script and it works exactly like I wanted it to, the feeling of pride I get is worth the effort it required. Being able to look at my work and think "this is pretty good" keeps me going through the annoying stuff.

Bolens

Soul Hacker
    Years
    • Age 30
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 22, 2016
    My sense of motivation is the joy and or overall product value I can give my fellow members, and those who play my hacks. I want them to be able to remember my hacks, and then on the end of completing one, they feel that I accomplished something that made them feel good, and at the same time made me feel good while making it.

akamichi

Back......For Now [Active]
    Years
  • hacking is fun but if you don't know what ur doing then it could be dangerous anyway its loads of fun having x999 master balls and x999 rare candys :)

PeregrineFig

Starting Pokémon Obsidian
    Years
  • hacking is fun but if you don't know what ur doing then it could be dangerous anyway its loads of fun having x999 master balls and x999 rare candys :)

Eh, I've found that if you have unlimited everything the game's boring. There's nothing to actually do when you have every Pokemon in the game, all at level 100. If you don't cheat it's more enjoyable because you have to actually play the game.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • I want to enjoy myself. I'm not hacking for others, you know. It's a hobby to me, and nothing more. Like Spriting,

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    Cause its fun and cool. No more so cause I like hacking, cause....I donno I just do :/

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Ever since I was a little kid playing Pokémon Yellow Version, it has always been my dream to create my own Pokémon game. ROM Hacking has made that dream a reality for me. Everything that I want in a Pokémon game I can now have. I can pick the trainers' pokémon and wild pokémon, I can make the people say whatever I want, I can design the entire region, and (as my hacking skills have developed) I can add entirely new features to the game. Though I have discovered that making a Pokémon game is far from easy, the idea of my own completed game is what motivates me to hack.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    I only really focus on the graphics (tiles especially), so my motivation I suppose is from all the graphical things I saw and thought should be in Pokemon. Hence, my Tile Insertion. As well as my constant fear of not being remembered.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Ever since I was a kid I wanted to make my own video game, and fix the problems that I thought pokemon had. I always enjoyed rom hacking. Even before hacking pokemon, I would hack other game series. I love the idea of trial, and erro. Figuring things out for my self, with a little help from my friends :). But personally now my motivation is to create the best hack I can make, get my hack in the hackshowcase, win hack of the month, and mabey, just mabey; make a hack that is as popular as Shinny gold.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • The only hacking that I do is mapping... which I look at more as a form of art. Sort of like painting I guess. I don't do it to actually make full hacks, but just because I enjoy seeing the pictures in my head in real life. (Plus it's fun to show them off on the map rating thread lol.)

I'm going to OIT next year to study software/game programming though, and I do tons of other hacking/ game making. (CSS maps, AOM and AOE scenarios, and other games.) So, pokemon hacking kinda got left behind... the only part I seemed to truly enjoy was mapping, so I still do it a lot.

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    what motivates me is when people like my hack.
    if i lose motivation during the hack, i start playing hacks that are liked, and see the coments they have, which motivayes me to get that good.

one bad thing though (that happened to me) is that new hackers aren't excepted as much, they try to make maps, and get critisized on everything, which makes it so they might not want to hack anymore.

so there are some things that motivate, and some things that bring people down.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I guess fun and scripting... pretty much like... when I do complicated script and it's working I'm really glad =)
    And also I wanna make fans of hack happy. 'cause they can play hack they like.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    I have no motivation. I do hacking for fun, and if I need motivation to continue, then it's not fun anymore. And if it's not fun, what's the point of doing it? But, I suppose the reason is to create a game that everyone will enjoy and have fun.

Ty2

New Hacker and Working Hard
    Years
  • Well, I just started making a hack and my friends and siblings motivate me with ideas and they help me when I don't know what to do. I want to make a hack that could at least get hack of the month or week at least. What motivates me to keep trying is knowing when the moderators approve my thread then there will be some people out there who tell me whats good and tell me whats wrong in my hack and I'll fix it right away. And guess what? When I do that I will get more compliments in my hack. The feeling of someone appreciating your work can really make someone happy. That is what motivates me.

Daeva Okami-Luca

∞Protector∞
    Years
  • I was motivated for a very long time; and still am; it's just fun. But when you live with your nazi parents and share a computer, it makes it really hard to continue working.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • I get motivation from comments (which I rarely get) but the main issue that keeps me hacking is that it's fun and like the result of the game I make :D

Back