• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What exactly is inside a Pokeball?

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2010
    Ever since I started watching Pokemon I have always wondered what is inside a Pokeball when the Pokemon are inside their, As this been ever talked about in an episode?

Ballzie

Get your hand off my Pokéballs
    Years
  • That is an easy one. Squashed up PokeParticles! ^^

... I've never actually heard or saw an episode wherein they talked about that.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I remember watching the epsiode, "Hypno's Naptime" where Misty caught Psyduck and at the end it showed Psyduck inside the Pokéball which had an egg-like, empty space. I figure inside the Pokéball is just an area to keep your Pokémon at rest. There's nothing special inside, but just your Pokémon in a smaller form of itself. At least, that's what I think anyway. ^^;

Otherwise, it could also just be particles of the Pokémon held within the Pokéball when returned. When released, the particles of that Pokémon being kept inside bond together to bring out that specific Pokémon as what we see it as.

This is just the scientific view of it though, as I've seen ideas where people see it as an environment fit for the Pokémon inside.

~GodricGryffindor9~

WOW! THATS A LOW PRICE!
    Years
  • HHmm... toughie. Well I remember seeing something where the inside walls of the pokeball were circuitry so my theory's are that the Pokemon go through some electo - particle changing process that stores the particles as data in the data-storing unit of the pokeball. This is argued by the fact that the Pokemon is still awake/thriving inside the pokeball, which is proven in a Pokemon special adventures where yellow looks inside her pokeball where she keeps a Mewtwo and is shown that Mewtwo is just shrunken to fit inside the pokeball. Or maybe the Pokemon is just at rest inside with its particles shrunken. Of course these theory's defy every law of physics known to man but hey! That's Pokemon for you.

So in conclusion there is just an empty space inside with circuitry on the walls.

RTHookers

Banned
    Years
  • Who cares what's inside the Pokeball.
    How the hell does a Pokemon evades capture ones it's inside it?

Anyway and it's circular inside it and with a little light. I think an Episode with Misty's Psyduck showed it.

The Darkest Gale

Welcome to my life
    Years
  • Who cares what's inside the Pokeball.
    How the hell does a Pokemon evades capture ones it's inside it?

it dances!

anyway, when they turn into the red figure shape it might be a power to shrink the pokemon
    The pokemon then goes to rest and powers up? I don't actually know but my theory is that they shrink :D for no apparent reason lol

~GodricGryffindor9~

WOW! THATS A LOW PRICE!
    Years
  • How the hell does a Pokemon evades capture ones it's inside it?

Another excellent question!

Well I would think that if the circuitry theory is correct then all it would need to do is bump around and destroy the circuitry thus making the pokeball malfunction and open. On the other hand the Pokemon could just break it open with brute force.

The Darkest Gale

Welcome to my life
    Years
  • Another excellent question!

Well I would think that if the circuitry theory is correct then all it would need to do is bump around and destroy the circuitry thus making the pokeball malfunction and open. On the other hand the Pokemon could just break it open with brute force.

It would probably bump around because in the game it maves side to side, using brute would make it just open I guess :P

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
  • Image of Pokeball in the anime:

Pokemon are converted into "energy" and taken into the ball where the energy is stored.
    The "energy" is strong if the Pokemon is not weakened. Therefore, the Pokemon can resist being converted into energy and break out.
    If the Pokemon is weakened, it is harder for it to resist the conversion process and thus, captured.

At least, that's the way I view it.
    That's pretty much what happens in the anime.
    The Pokemon are converted into energy.

~GodricGryffindor9~

WOW! THATS A LOW PRICE!
    Years
  • BULBAPEDIA.

If the Poké Ball hits the Pokémon and is not knocked back by it, the Poké Ball will open, convert the Pokémon to a form of energy, and pull it into its center, closing.

When a Pokémon is released from a Poké Ball, it will be accompanied by a bright light as it returns from its energy form, and materialize nearby, often on the ground. This bright light has been shown to vary depending on the type of Ball

Ok it looks like Andrew McKenzie was right.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • Well like Andrew said, this is what is inside of a Pokeball:

But if you are asking what it FEELS like to be inside one, nobody knows. Canon leaves some of this stuff out to let your imagination wander a bit. I like to think that the Pokemon are in a "Trance-Like" State. In my fanfiction from a Totodile's P.O.V. I said that that when you are in a Pokeball you can see outside of it. You have memory of all the things you saw when you come out. But from the moment you are put in to the moment you are taken out you are physically and mentally(if confused when taken in) the same. It's sort of like sleeping with your eyes open. This is just a Fanon hypothesis, but I think it might be useful to your question nonetheless. I hope one day you can find out ;)

With all regards,

-ChrisTom

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    Meh. That seems like it'd be living Hell. Forcibly converted into energy? How would you breathe or whatever? Are they concsious throughout the whole thing? I prefer the manga view: where they're just shrunk and can still look outside and stuff.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    The problem with the Outside View theory is that it would cause a paradox between the Team Rocket Capture MO and a Pokemon's ability to escape from the ball at will. Because that happens once in a while.

The thing is, if Pokemon where able to "see" outside. ALL the freaking times Team Rocket tried to steal Pokeballs the Pokemon would escape. You may argue that this contradicts reason for Pokemon to want to escape from the ball. But remember Pokemon have their own interintellectual energy. Like Chi or what-shtuff that the Naru Ninjas use... or something... like that blue shtuff in Movie 8 with Lucario...

...and that's the minimization and vision ability down the drain... I hope. I would completely agree with the energy form conversion... but it would be sort of illogical since that would be goddamn expensive looking at the time period Pokemon takes place... unless they use some weird-ass Poke-mineral that we don't know about.

Ugh. This is hard when everything seems to challenge and shatter the laws of physics and many aspects of logic, you know. :(

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    It's more so implied tha tonly a few Pokemon are capable of releasing themselves from their balls, not all.

AuroraHearts

Noob Master
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Image of Pokeball in the anime:

Pokemon are converted into "energy" and taken into the ball where the energy is stored.
    The "energy" is strong if the Pokemon is not weakened. Therefore, the Pokemon can resist being converted into energy and break out.
    If the Pokemon is weakened, it is harder for it to resist the conversion process and thus, captured.

At least, that's the way I view it.
    That's pretty much what happens in the anime.
    The Pokemon are converted into energy.

wait.. how come there are all these physics were involved?
    since i thought hat back in the days before pokeballs were invented
    people used apricorns

aha, imagine that, squashing a pokemon into a little nutshell XD

Trope

Protéger just au matin~Féerie!
    Years
  • I read an interesting fanfiction a while back, that talked about the capture of pokemon. They had a very nice explanation:

"When a Pokeball captures a Pokemon, it emits a ray of particles that disrupt the atoms in the target's body. This causes them to break down, converting a great deal of a Pokemon's mass into pure energy. This is what allows Pokemon to be stored in a Pokeball, which is much smaller than its body.The energy produced in this way is drawn up into the Pokeball through the use of energy-absorbing metals in its interior. Additional products of this reaction, mainly stray particles, or radiation, are also collected and drawn into the ball's interior. This allows the conversion process of a fission reaction without all of the mess and inconvenience of a nuclear explosion. A containment field within the Pokeball is then activated, which prevents the escape of the particles and energy generated by the capture process.
    At this point, the Pokemon struggles to break free of the Pokeball. You see, this is where the second important difference comes into play; Pokemon retain their conscious soul even when deprived of many of the things that constitute a physical "body." We are perhaps more closely linked to the energy that courses through us than to any physical vessel. We therefore are consciously able to fight the capture process. A Pokemon will struggle against the containment field within the Pokeball; if its constraints can be broken, then we have the power to return our atoms to their original state.
    The Pokeball captures and contains all energy and by-products of the reaction, yes? The reaction produced the energy, and by expending it again, it is possible to force the atoms back together and re-form the Pokemon's physical body. If the containment field is breached, the Pokeball will automatically open to allow the Pokemon to escape rather than be crushed in the tiny space.
    The containment field cannot sustain itself, being powered by a battery implanted in the Pokeball upon its manufacture. It merely prevents the Pokemon from escaping while a second process takes place. A small amount of energy created during the reaction is siphoned off and stored in a special mechanism in the Pokeball's interior. With that energy goes a small piece of the Pokemon's soul. When this task is accomplished, the Pokemon has run out of time to escape. The Pokeball expels all air from its interior, creating a vacuum, and the containment field dissipates. This is the click or clunk that you hear when your Pokeball ceases to shake and the locks shut. Essentially, it has downloaded a small part of the Pokemon's being and stored it within its circuitry."

I found it a sad, but alse a very nice explantation how the pokeballs seals a part of a Pokemon's souls. It also adds that if somehow body and soul get seperated, the soul turns into some sort of Will-o'Whisp, and the body becomes a mindless doll. Gave me the creeps.

Story can be found here.

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
  • Well like Andrew said, this is what is inside of a Pokeball:

But if you are asking what it FEELS like to be inside one, nobody knows. Canon leaves some of this stuff out to let your imagination wander a bit. I like to think that the Pokemon are in a "Trance-Like" State. In my fanfiction from a Totodile's P.O.V. I said that that when you are in a Pokeball you can see outside of it. You have memory of all the things you saw when you come out. But from the moment you are put in to the moment you are taken out you are physically and mentally(if confused when taken in) the same. It's sort of like sleeping with your eyes open. This is just a Fanon hypothesis, but I think it might be useful to your question nonetheless. I hope one day you can find out ;)

With all regards,

-ChrisTom

That's an interesting theory.
    Event though they are energy, their subconcious can see outside the ball.
    It wouldn't be unlike a Pokemon Egg.
    Pokemon before hatching from their eggs can see the outside world.
    Perhaps the Pokeball is merely an artificial egg, to protect them.

I think we just made sense of a Pokeball. Breakthrough?

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
  • Stop ruining my imagination, people.
    I like to think that they are small rooms.
    Pokeball = Basic room. Floor, walls, bed.
    Luxury Ball = Sort of like a penthouse suite :)
    Timer Ball = Filled with annoying grandfather and cuckoo clocks that go off nonstop, like the intro to the song Time by Pink Floyd.
    etc.

Back