• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Solo Run Challenge V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • HG/SS Solo Run Challenge

What is it?

Basically this is a challenge for HGSS in which you try to beat the game using only one Pokemon throughout the whole game. You can choose whatever you like (but obviously using stuff like legendaries makes you significantly less cool ;P). Simply decide on a Pokemon you want to use, and post here saying you want to take up the challenge. Then whenever you want post here telling us how you are going with your challenge - what gyms you've beaten, any challenging points in the playthrough, etc.

The challenge is considered to be beaten when you beat Red and the Elite Four twice.

Rules!

Because restrictions tend to be required with this sort of thing. =P

• You can only use your solo runner for the actual battling. Feel free if you want to use, say, low-level Pokemon for revive-purposes, but you can go without for a harder challenge in things like gym battles or the Elite Four.
    • HM slaves are allowed, and using lower-levelled Pokemon in the double battles only is also allowed.
    • You may use your starter until you get your solo-runner Pokemon in your team.
    • Any (legit) Pokemon can be used. If you are trading over a Pokemon though, trade over the egg form of it and hatch before using it early on (advisably before the 1st gym, 2nd absolute latest).
    • No hacking Pokemon - that's just taking away from the challenge. You CAN if you must... but it's not as cool.
    • Don't spam, please. If you have any questions ask away if it's not covered in this post.
    • It is advised to post with more detail than less - but the minimum needed is to mention what Pokemon you are starting with, nickname if any, whether you are evolving or not, and what version you are playing in your first post. Then just detail your adventures in later posts, mentioning what you've done, current level, etc. E.g.:
      Hello. I'm going to go through with my Mareep, which I will only evolve into a Flaaffy. I'm using HG
      After catching my Mareep south of Violet City, I ditched my starter and took on the Sprout Tower. Had a few longish battles against all of the Bellsprout, but by the top Mareep hit level 10 and learnt Thundershock, which made the rest easier with the HootHoots. After beating the Elder I went and heal and took on the gym. Thundershock made it pretty easy - Falkner's Pidgeotto was the only annoyance with Roost but eventually it got paralysed and the rest was easy.

Mareep is now on level 14, and knows Tackle/Growl/Thundershock/ThunderWave, and has nearly evolved already. =)
    • No double posting - either wait for someone else to post first or just edit your latest post instead with any new updates.
    • Have fun! Yes, this is a rule. =p

Note that if you were posting in the previous thread, just continue here from before.

Participants:

• Azumin – Pidgeot lv 83, has 14 badges, SS.
    • toxin - Gengar (currently a Gastly).
    • NickofTime - Bibarel
    • Raikt - Zubat, beat Bugsy and approaching Goldenrod.
    • Pokefanatic11 - Pichu
    • Ian Watkins - Furret, beat Falkner, HG.
    • .тαмєя - Zangy the Zangoose, beat Pryce, SS.
    • Xyrin - Aipom, SS.
    • ichuesther - Arbok, beat Lt. Surge, SS
    • リアム ゴッドフリー - Pichu, SS
    • Barrage - Rhyperior (Rhyhorn)
    • AimayBee – Hyde the Poliwag, SS
    • Blazenwing – Krabby (will be a Kingler), beat Bugsy, HG
    • RedJoker25 – Cyndaquil, to face Clair soon, HG
    • Ponyo, Vols the Ampharos, Beat Pryce
    • Sullster - Humphrey the Poliwag, SS.
    • Snarcle – Starly
    • Melvern - Jolty (Pichu), beat Falkner, SS
    • Dirtyjrry - Squirtle (will be a Blastoise), SS
    • Transcendent - Shiny Gyarados, Jolty (Pichu), SS
    • SkyAngel - Onix (Steelix)
    • Omn, Gible

Hall of Fame!

Last edited:

Azumin

Trader/RNGer. ^-^
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    Guess I'm a Challenger.
    Going to do this with a pidgey Nicknamed Venus that will evolve into a Pidgeot.
    Playing Soulsilver. Good Luck to all others who try this. ^-^

Last edited:

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • im going to do this Bibarel YEAH!
    ability simple
    moveset
    curse
    amnesia
    quickattack
    return
    i love doing only bidoof runs you think it wouldnt be possible but it works XDDDDDDDD

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    I'm going to carry on with my Gengar (:
    I currently have 11 badges but I'm camping at the e4 until I can do it without using any potions etc.
    I'm really enjoying my Gengar i've only lost one battle outside of the e4 and that was to my Rival in Goldenrod City :(
    I traded over a Gastly egg as soon as Eyre gave me 5 pokeballs so I could catch a HootHoot and trade him over for my egg!
    Never used my Totodile, not even once, well once..against my rival but I lost haha so I never gained any xp on him ;D
    I don't carry HM slaves around with me, infact I only withdraw them when absolutely neccessary! Most the time, I walk as a oppose to flying for this reason.
    I recently taught my Gengar, Psychic which meant I had to sacrifice Dream Eater, not sure if it was a good move but it's working out okay for now!
    He's only level 70 but he has a specAtk of 240! Unfortunately I didn't bother messing about with natures so he's relaxed but oh well!
    moveset is currently; hypnosis, shadow ball, psychic & thunder.
    I need thunderbolt as thunder is just too unreliable!
    That's all for now ;D

Raikt

Fiction writer.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    Hrm... I'm not allowed to use a starter or legendary, and I have to solo it? Heh.

Prepare for the carnage that Gruul, the Zubat, is about to unleash!

Ok. So, I just caught my Zubat, Gruul, and now I shall be starting my journey.

Pokemon: Zubat (It will evolve.)
    Version: Heart Gold
    Trainer Name: Raikt

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    Just beat misty, piece of cake ;D

I petty poor old brock, he aint got a chance xD

Just cleanin' up these trainers between fuscia and lavander then i'll pick up my expn card, probably try snorlax on for size in preparation for red and then poor old brock is in for the gengar treatment!

Raikt

Fiction writer.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    Here I am!

Name: Haru
    Pokèmon Only Run: Pichu (Evolving)
    Version: Heart Gold (Rom)
    Progress: Slowpoke Well completed, next to gain Second Badge.
    Actual Team: Pikachu lv. 21, Totodile lv.17 (HM Cut, Surf, Whirlpool, Waterfall), Pidgey lv.17 (HM Fly), Geodude lv. 15 (HM Strength, Rock Smash, Rock Climb) - I don't have that HMs already.

Can I evolve the HM Slaves?

You shouldn't even be battling with any other Pokemon. The rules state you have to solo the game with a Pokemon of your choice and as early as possible.

Ian Watkins

^Is a total tart. X3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2014
    I am going to do this challenge with Starly (which I will evolve), and I am using HG. =]

.тαмєя

Typloshion Lover :D
    Years
    • Age 26
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 9, 2010
    I Will Carry on With Zangy the Zangoose On a Solo-Run ... Just beat the 3rd gym :P on Soul Silver..

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I would continue my updates with Tekken but i cant since i had to cheat for my Riolu because i used an Emulator and thats not allowed,. B&B rule fail.
    Pretty sure there's nothing about emulators not being allowed in the rules - they're prefectly fine to use for challenges. =/

If you mean hacked Pokemon though...well if you must, you can use them I suppose... =/ It is more about 'hacking perfect stats/illegal moves' that rule anyhow.

Last edited:

Ian Watkins

^Is a total tart. X3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2014
    Quite a bit has happened! I sweeper through the Sprout Tiwer without taking any damage, and there my Starly evolved into a Staravia!

Then I took on the gym. First two trainers were a piece of cake, but Falkner was a real joke. I timed how long it took me to beat him, and it only took 37 seconds! Pathetic, if you ask me.

Now for my 'team'.

Starburst the Staravia
    Level 16
    Modest (horrid nature xD)

Tackle
    Wing Attack
    Double Edge (gotta live accidental egg moves, eh? xD)
    Quick Attack

i'm really enjoying this so far!

Azumin

Trader/RNGer. ^-^
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    Little Update ^-^
    ~Went through the boring beginning stuff, Picked Totodile for an HM slave, caught a pidgey (Adamant nature. Sweet! ^-^) once I got pokeballs
    ~Grinded Pidgey to Lvl 13 then went to Bellsprout Tower and got Flash.
    ~After healing pidgey now lvl 16, I proceeded into the gym.
    ~Trainers were no problem, Beat both while only losing 9 HP
    ~Pidgey had no problem with Falkner, OHKO (crit) his lvl 9 pidgey and quick attacked his Pigeotto to death.
    Thus earning me my first badge:
    Zephyr_Badge.png

~Pidgey:
    016.png

NN:Venus
    Level:17
    Moveset: Quick Attack, Gust, Sand-Attack, and Roost.
    Onto Azalea Town!

Azalea Town was a joke :D
    Easily beat both the Rockets and Bugsy.
    ~I did have to SR once, but only cause gust wasn't doing the full damage. (On Bugsy's Scyther)
    ~Once I SR, I quickly 2HKO'd his Scyther and OHKO's his Metapod and Kakuna.
    Got the HiveBadge Yay:
    Hive_Badge.png

After Azalea Town I went to Illex forest there I:
    ~Got Cut
    ~Helped a Kimono girl
    Shortly after that I was at Goldenrod City, where I proceeded towards the gym:
    ~Easily OHKO'd the Gym Trainers with Quick Attack.
    ~Faced Whitney for first time however lost to Rollout and Milk Drink Abuse. >.>
    ~Second Time I used Featherdance to lower her attack and then Quick Attacked her several times to
    receive my Plain Badge:
    Plain_Badge.png

My Pokemon so far:
    Pidgeotto: (Venus)
    Level: 27
    Moveset: Quick Attack, Gust, Feather Dance, Roost
    017.png

ToTodile: (HM slave)
    Level: 10
    Moveset: Cut, Scratch, Rage, Water Gun
    158.png

Togepi:
    Level:1
    Moveset: Growl, Charm, Extrasensory
    175.png

On To Ecruteak City :D

Last edited:

Raikt

Fiction writer.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    Time for an update, hyo.~

The Adventures of Gruul, the Zubat!

So, Gruul and It have been busy for the last two days. It was a fateful encounter, us meeting up in the cave. It almost seemed like destiny... The screen darkened, more so than it already was in the cave, and when he appeared, I just knew we were going to go far together. A toss of a ball; a click; and our adventure started.

zubat.png

It was, and still is, rocky going for the two of us. The trainers are tough, and the victories even tougher to come by, but we have persevered so far! Rattata and company are no problem for Gruul; nor are the pesky, flexible Bellsprout that we had to fight our way through. No one can stand before our might! Except for Pidgeotto... 'Tis sad indeed, but we lost our first fight against Falkner. His Pidgey was easy prey, but that Pidgeotto was indeed a worthy foe. Roost made it hard to scratch it's feathery hide, leading to a rush back to the Pokemon Center.

Still, we did not give up! That is for losers. No, we continued to fight and train. Eventually, we succeeded in winning. Pideotto was still a worthy foe, but could not stand up to our tactics. Victory was ours, along with the Zephyr Badge!

images

The TM Roost will come in handy later, giving Gruul a way to catch his breath during battle. Now we are on our way to take on Bugsy, the Bug Gym Leader. The path down from Violet City was almost child's play; Gruul single handedly proving a Zubat's worth to all the other trainers. Union Cave was another story... Gruul had no moves in which to scratch the armored hides of Geodude and Onix. Most of the fights relied on sheer luck via Supersonic and rock hard determination. For now, we are resting in a Pokemon Center. I've heard strange rumors of evil doers in a well nearby; I think we'll look into that, soon...​

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    Time for an update, hyo.~

The Adventures of Gruul, the Zubat!

So, Gruul and It have been busy for the last two days. It was a fateful encounter, us meeting up in the cave. It almost seemed like destiny... The screen darkened, more so than it already was in the cave, and when he appeared, I just knew we were going to go far together. A toss of a ball; a click; and our adventure started.

zubat.png

It was, and still is, rocky going for the two of us. The trainers are tough, and the victories even tougher to come by, but we have persevered so far! Rattata and company are no problem for Gruul; nor are the pesky, flexible Bellsprout that we had to fight our way through. No one can stand before our might! Except for Pidgeotto... 'Tis sad indeed, but we lost our first fight against Falkner. His Pidgey was easy prey, but that Pidgeotto was indeed a worthy foe. Roost made it hard to scratch it's feathery hide, leading to a rush back to the Pokemon Center.

Still, we did not give up! That is for losers. No, we continued to fight and train. Eventually, we succeeded in winning. Pideotto was still a worthy foe, but could not stand up to our tactics. Victory was ours, along with the Zephyr Badge!

images

The TM Roost will come in handy later, giving Gruul a way to catch his breath during battle. Now we are on our way to take on Bugsy, the Bug Gym Leader. The path down from Violet City was almost child's play; Gruul single handedly proving a Zubat's worth to all the other trainers. Union Cave was another story... Gruul had no moves in which to scratch the armored hides of Geodude and Onix. Most of the fights relied on sheer luck via Supersonic and rock hard determination. For now, we are resting in a Pokemon Center. I've heard strange rumors of evil doers in a well nearby; I think we'll look into that, soon...​

Haha, love it!

It isn't much to brag about, capturing that final badge in the Kanto region, the trainers certainly weren't all that.
    However it's understandable, no one could ever prepare for my almighty Gengar ;D
    I'll now be making my way back to indigo plateau for which is sure to be my hardest task yet!
    I'm wondering how I will fare against my nemesis, Karen and I expect this is going to take a good few trys before I will be ready to head up Mt Silver and take on red whom I do not fear all that much (:
    Wish me luck :P

Went and played Pokethelon and baught a few PP UPs, taught Gengar Focus Blast before hand.

Took a few trys but once I added Focus Blast to my arsenal Karen wasn't so tough ;D

Only real problem was lances Dragonite but I got lucky and critical hit it ;D

Then Altaria Perish Song'd me, had a perish song count of 1 and hadn't hit him yet 'cos I was paralyzed and he kept using double team and then as if by magic I hit a critical hit and finally won!

Almost done (: Just gotta go see ol' red (:

My Gengar is currently Level 89 with 739,673 Exp ;]

Stats -
    HP 224 Attack 115 Sp. Atk 326 Sp. Def 163 Speed 274

Moveset -

Thunderbolt
    Psychic
    Focus Blast
    Shadow Ball

Last edited:

Ian Watkins

^Is a total tart. X3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2014
    Hay, can you put me on the Participants list please? =] 'Cause I am a fair bit into my challenge now. =]

On the updating part, I beat both Bugsy and Whitney. Both were very easy, and Whitney's Miltank died within two Double-Edges!

Starburst the Staravia
    Level 29

Endeavor
    Aerial Ace
    Double-Edge
    Quick Attack

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
    Years
  • Update.
    ~ Choosed Totodile, for HM Slave purpose.
    ~ Trained him to level 10, got Pokè Balls and catched Lv. 3 Porygon (AR, sorry :()
    ~ Catched a Geodude, he is another HM Slave.
    ~ Completed Sprout Tower, got MT70 Flash.
    ~ Rest in Pokèmon Center, and buyed some stuff in Pokè Mart.
    ~ First Gym: Both Trainers were so weak for PoryGod & Me, Falkner was a little bit harder, but PoryGod do it.

And...

images

~ Taken Togepi Egg.
    ~ Taken HM06 Rock Smash, and teached to Geodude.
    ~ Explored Ruins of Alph, completed Kabuto Puzzle, used Escape Rope in the bottom of the room, picked items, and catched the Unown A.
    ~ Created an event giving Upgrade, traded PoryGod with it, and...evolved!

Team

Porygon2

dpmfa233.png

NN: PoryGod
    Level: 18
    Moveset: Tackle, Psybeam, Agility, Recover

Totodile

dpmfa158.png

NN: Crocky
    Level: 11
    Moveset: Scratch, Leer, Water Gun, Rage

Geodude