• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I am looking to create a program. can anyone help?

Years
I hope this thread is in the right place.

I have seen various programs such as legit checker and pokesav that read the sav file of a cartridge to determine many different things (legitimacy, level, type, moves, etc.)

How would I go about creating a program that reads the data from a sav?

Would I have to tell the program to read the offsets of each pokemon in the ROM and compare it to the results in the SAV to obtain the pokemon that the user has?

Also, I know this might be an odd question but if I wanted to save specific pokemon from the SAV file to my computer (to explore the single pokemons file) does anyone know what native format the pokemon on the rom would use? This is very hard to explain but I am not sure if the pokemon would use a native format as they are exported or whether they would export as RAW data.

I have been wondering these a while and I hope i can get some interesing answers / an insight into how to accomplish my task.

Cheers

Years
I will be honest, if you don't have any previous programming experience, you aren't going to complete this idea.

What previous experience in languages do you have?

Years
Well I have done some scripting on the Pokemon advance roms.
But I am studying Python at uni and I think i am alright at that.

Anyway I was doing this more as a mini project so I can learn more about python and Pokemon aswell as the Nintendo DS.
Thank you for the help and the reply.

Years
Thnak you for all the help HackMew and Captain Fabio. After quickly skimming over the data storage document I have decided to postpone this idea until I have more programming knowledge overall. I might then resume the project. Thank you for all the help though.

Cheers

Back