• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Require Urgent Assistance

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
Years
  • I'm running Windows Vista and Firefox 3.0.13.

Every few minutes I keep getting low memory warnings. I actually have 2GBs free, which I believe is enough, on drive C. That was yesterday. Now I cannot run Firefox and MSN messenger simultaneously without Firefox crashing. I cannot even open up more than one tab without everything failing. I am not very computer literate so I don't know how to fix it. I would love some help as I obviously need Hotmail etc. for my work.

Cheers.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I'm running Windows Vista and Firefox 3.0.13.

Every few minutes I keep getting low memory warnings. I actually have 2GBs free, which I believe is enough, on drive C. That was yesterday. Now I cannot run Firefox and MSN messenger simultaneously without Firefox crashing. I cannot even open up more than one tab without everything failing. I am not very computer literate so I don't know how to fix it. I would love some help as I obviously need Hotmail etc. for my work.

Cheers.

Ctrl + Shift + Esc, go to "processes," and click "Mem Usage" twice so that it sorts by what is using the most memory. If there's anything using more than about 100,000 K other than a gaming application, please list it in a reply.

To clarify something, two things can be meant when referring to "memory." One can be physical memory, or hard drive disk usage. This is on what most programs and data are stored; most computers come with at least 200GB of this. I do not believe this is what it is referring to. The other is known more commonly as "RAM," or "random access memory." This is what programs use while running, and there is usually only 2GB - 4GB on most consumer computers when bought. This, I believe, is what you are running low on; it is likely because there is a rogue or malfunctioning program using all of it up. I'm not sure if you understood the difference; if you did, my apologies.

On the other hand, if you are running low on hard drive disk space, you may wish to try SpaceMonger; be aware that the version listed is a trial and that the free version is listed on the "free software" tab near the bottom (SpaceMonger 1.4.0).

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • None of them.

The most are Firefox (37,708K) and Windows Explorer (18,948K).

In that case, try using SpaceMonger as listed in my previous post to look at your hard disk usage and delete or uninstall anything taking up a lot of space that you aren't using. Also, could you please take a screenshot of one of these warnings if possible or copy the text exactly as it appears?

Also, as Apple mentioned, you may wish to upgrade to the latest version of Firefox by going to "Help" and selecting "Check for updates."

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
  • Sure, I'll try that. I already use CCleaner a lot for that sort of thing.

Thanks a bunch. I'll post the results.

Update:

I just upgraded to 3.3.6 and funnily enough that seemed to sort it out. I no longer get the low memory messages, I can run as many tabs as I want and have MSN and iTunes running simultaneous with Firefox. Bizarre.

Thanks very much both of you for your help.

Mods, feel free to close this thread. :cer_smile:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Sure, I'll try that. I already use CCleaner a lot for that sort of thing.

Thanks a bunch. I'll post the results.

Update:

I just upgraded to 3.3.6 and funnily enough that seemed to sort it out. I no longer get the low memory messages, I can run as many tabs as I want and have MSN and iTunes running simultaneous with Firefox. Bizarre.

Thanks very much both of you for your help.

Mods, feel free to close this thread. :cer_smile:

Probably some memory leak issues you couldn't see that were going on in the background.

Back