• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can the anime redeem itself in 5th gen?

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
Years
  • Personally, I say yes. But a few things have to happen first. While it'd be ideal if they got rid of Ash all together, it's obvious that won't happen, so here's a list of the five things, imo, that the anime should do to become watchable once again.

Let's get rid of Brock. His character is not very funny. Maybe if he could be a bit more perverted, the character would work, but because it's more of a kid's show, that can't happen. In my eyes, brock was supposed to be the cliche "pervert" character, but they then decided to aim the anime towards a younger audience, and brock became more of a hopeless romantic. Also, breeder isn't a significant enough class to be a full blown character.

The new character classes should be contest star, and either two trainers or a trainer (Ash) and a pokeathlete. And the girl character should not be the contest star. In DP, Dawn pretty much sucks at battling and does well at contest. It's almost as if they're conveying the message that girls can't be strong or tough, but it's fine if they get all dressed up and put on a show. The males who do contests are often effeminate as well.

Ash can't be as cool as he has been in the past. It seems like the past couple gens Ash steps into the new region and automatically is better than those around him. It's really annoying, especially when it comes to the female character. Female character fails at life, Ash helps, she gets better. I understand Ash has experience, and the female character is usually a new trainer, but the message "A woman is nothing without man" is still conveyed, or at least to me it is. When Ash arrives on the scene, let the female character already have her poke, and let her battle with Ash and beat him. It'd be nice if he could be shown some humility for once.

More spectacle! The battles have gotten sooooooo boring. It's command, attack, command, attack, etc. etc. over. I understand that's how the game works, but it doesn't captivate your attention in a show. It's okay to have commands, but let the pokes move freely a bit! Also, the battles need to be bigger! And I don't mean explosions, there's too many of those. I mean, let the pokes jump high, hit eachother into the ground, and create a crater from the impact! Make them seem at least dangerous. Because right now, the characters say wild pokemon are dengerous, when really, all it'll do is bite you or peck at your head. That's what normal animals do. If you've seen Soul Eater, that's kind of what I'm talking about, Not the blood, just the awesome acrobatic style of fighting.

#1!
    Make it more story driven! Right now, every episode is just Ash and co. helping some random stranger out. Focus more on action and less on doing good deeds for people you don't even know. And frankly, it's quite annoying having to meet two new characters every. single. episode. This means less team rocket too, they're entertaining on occasion. But now, every plan of theirs is the same, and they appear every episode. More tense, climactic, story driven episodes will help this show a lot. Multi episode quests, you know what I mean.

Now, what do you think the anime should do to become entertaining again?

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years
    More spectacle! The battles have gotten sooooooo boring. It's command, attack, command, attack, etc. etc. over. I understand that's how the game works, but it doesn't captivate your attention in a show. It's okay to have commands, but let the pokes move freely a bit! Also, the battles need to be bigger! And I don't mean explosions, there's too many of those. I mean, let the pokes jump high, hit eachother into the ground, and create a crater from the impact! Make them seem at least dangerous. Because right now, the characters say wild pokemon are dengerous, when really, all it'll do is bite you or peck at your head. That's what normal animals do. If you've seen Soul Eater, that's kind of what I'm talking about, Not the blood, just the awesome acrobatic style of fighting.
    This + they should make the battles a little bit more interesting, have different strategies when it comes to battling a certain type of Pokémon etc.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • I doubt that it would. If they didn't redeemed themselves on the 4th gen, it won't happen in the 5th. But, hey. Maybe the Female Protagonist will be a hot-head and be the opposite of Ash's female companion so far and actually be a competition, a threat and also a main character. There's one thing I'd want them to improve. Don't re-use the storyline! What happened in the first season, can't be the storyline for the 4th!

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
  • I think it has the ability to redeem itself, prolly cause Ash might possibly hang out with a teenager. :O lol
    And I agree with #1, they take forever to get to one city to the next for me. :(

Ataraxia

Wanderer
    Years
  • I doubt it.

1st season and 3rd (Kanto and Johto I think) were ok, cheesy, but withstandable.
    Now its an amazing feat of strength and fortitude to get through one episode. But then again, theres something about the anime that just makes you want to keep watching, despite all the ridiculous ideas/lines etc the characters have.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    Let's get rid of Brock. His character is not very funny. Maybe if he could be a bit more perverted, the character would work, but because it's more of a kid's show, that can't happen. In my eyes, brock was supposed to be the cliche "pervert" character, but they then decided to aim the anime towards a younger audience, and brock became more of a hopeless romantic. Also, breeder isn't a significant enough class to be a full blown character.

I honestly don't think this is very important to the show redeeming itself. In fact I'd bet there are some people that would be very sad to see Brock go.

The new character classes should be contest star, and either two trainers or a trainer (Ash) and a pokeathlete. And the girl character should not be the contest star. In DP, Dawn pretty much sucks at battling and does well at contest. It's almost as if they're conveying the message that girls can't be strong or tough, but it's fine if they get all dressed up and put on a show. The males who do contests are often effeminate as well.

I see this too. I think it could be a reasonably good idea to put your idea to use. Just as long as they don't overdo it too much. Last thing the show needs is a bunch of teens/kids feeling threatened by an overkill level of girl power. Lawl

Ash can't be as cool as he has been in the past. It seems like the past couple gens Ash steps into the new region and automatically is better than those around him. It's really annoying, especially when it comes to the female character. Female character fails at life, Ash helps, she gets better. I understand Ash has experience, and the female character is usually a new trainer, but the message "A woman is nothing without man" is still conveyed, or at least to me it is. When Ash arrives on the scene, let the female character already have her poke, and let her battle with Ash and beat him. It'd be nice if he could be shown some humility for once.

He's also over 6 years older than new starting trainers these days. (Ash is 16.5 during 4th gen) Something has to give >o< I mean really, come 5th gen he's going to have to be almost 18, and if he's still going to be hanging around 10 year old girls... yeaaaah... I can see that becoming awkward. Just think of the poor shippers! They'd have nothing to work with!

While spectacle would be good, I think flying around in impossibly high jumps and leaving craters in the ground is a DBZ-esque cliche. I think there are far better ways they could use spectacle. Perhaps they simply need to stray from the game-style of battling.

#1!
    Make it more story driven! Right now, every episode is just Ash and co. helping some random stranger out. Focus more on action and less on doing good deeds for people you don't even know. And frankly, it's quite annoying having to meet two new characters every. single. episode. This means less team rocket too, they're entertaining on occasion. But now, every plan of theirs is the same, and they appear every episode. More tense, climactic, story driven episodes will help this show a lot. Multi episode quests, you know what I mean.

Yes. There is never a show that couldn't benefit from this. *Le sigh*

Crystal Glaceon

Devious
    Years
    ^this.
    Also lets see pikachu do something other than Iron tail and Volt tackle. Please? oh and could we have team rocket back to their former glory?

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • It's been a while since I forced my opinion on someone. Good old days.

Bloothump said:
    .#5

In your opinion, he isn't very funny. We have to understand that the people that this show is targeted to most likely have never seen Brock in their lives and find him fresh because of that. I also don't see how Pokémon Breeder isn't a signifiant enough class either. It's just the writers don't focus on him since the other two main characters (Ash & Dawn) have to take that spotlight. Why? They'd have to be focusing on four different plots at the same time if they made Brock more significant.

I doubt that every character on the hero main cast will have an individual plot that would be focused on throughout an entire saga. I think that at most two of the main heroes, as always, will have their goals focused on while the rest of Co. does their best to not do anything.

Also, Pokémon Contests are supposed to be aimed at girls so it would only be expected that May & Dawn participated in it and not Brendan & Lucas.

Automatically better? He lost tied with Paul and lost to Roark and Gardenia when he first challenged them. This especially is because of the fact that he captures new Pokémon whenever he arrives in a new region. How is that message even brought up? It's clearly just a "Teacher teaches student" message brought up here. How does one even come up with that idea?

First of all, Soul Eater has a much bigger animation budget than Pokémon does. You can see this in Pokémon movies as well. Anyway, Pokémon battles are clearly just meant to be a fun sport and not put the Pokémon in any actual danger. This is supported by the fact that it's constantly mentioned that Pokémon Trainers should know when to forfeit a battle and that they should protect and be friends with their Pokémon.

#1!

Many episodes in Diamond & Pearl aren't actual filler episodes. I also think a lot of the fillers have been rather fun but whatever.

I think it redeemed itself in the Advanced Generation.

RYOUKI said:
    and also a main character

May and Dawn are main characters.

PkMnTrainer Yellow said:
    He's also over 6 years older than new starting trainers these days. (Ash is 16.5 during 4th gen) Something has to give >o< I mean really, come 5th gen he's going to have to be almost 18, and if he's still going to be hanging around 10 year old girls... yeaaaah... I can see that becoming awkward. Just think of the poor shippers! They'd have nothing to work with!

Ash is still ten.

Yeah . . . .

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    Well, here are some things I would personally change to make the show better.

Raise the demographic
    It's possible to make a show that is as appealing to a younger audience as it is an older one. Just look at shows like Avatar: the Last Airbender and the likes. You don't have to stoop the show down to the levels of Dora the Explorer and all that jazz.

Better travelling partners
    Brock is fine. I like his role as the "one sane guy" in the group (if he's still playing that role. Haven't watched recent episodes). But characters like Dawn, May, and Max are inexcusable. They're just ANNOYING. Especially Max, one of the worst things I've seen on my television. And how about a female partner that wouldn't make fans start crafting ships? Is it so hard for Ash and the girl to not have their flirty moments? It's really starting to make Ash look like a sleezball or something, playing all of these girls. Next thing you know he'll be saying stuff like, "I've got hoes in different area codes".

More development between Ash and Pikachu
    I know they've been buddies for years now, but I feel like Ash and Pikachu clicked too quick. By the third episode way back in Kanto, they were BFF's. Now, there hasn't been a single episode to really develop their relationship besides the occasional episode every 100 episodes or so, which usually is just about a rival with a Raichu, or a training montage to overcome a difficult Gym Leader. I'd like to know more about my heroes, please.

About filler…
    I'm not gonna complain. I hate a lot of the "Characters-of-the-Days" but, really, they have to fill the 3 ½ year gap between generations with something.

tikki

Idiot Haunter
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2010
    I'm a big fan of the original pokemon. The anime has just gotten so smarmy lately, it's like a big smarm sandwich with smarm dressing. What bugs me most is that all the characters are interchangeable. Any line could be said by any one of them, and it wouldn't change a thing; they've become a like a sticky gum Frankenstein, one big blob of character traits that they rarely if ever deviate from. I loved when the female protag was a hot headed, fire cracker sweetheart with a big attitude; and Brock was silly and playful (because he had to take care of his little siblings?) and fell over any pretty girl because he was just so flattering and extroverted; and when Ash wasn't the epitome of a perfect trainer, he was just a kid with giant dreams and his head in the clouds and kind of a dork, because every kid could identify with that. I guess they all had to experience character growth, but the growth has stopped because the franchise has lived on, I think. If I were the boss, I would put the poor show out if its misery. All the creativity has been replaced by flashy attacks and sparkly contests and the generic theme of bland, easily-won heroism. But I'm probably just an old die-hard, reminiscing on those halcyon days when I would run to my bedroom after school every day just in time to watch "Tower of Terror" or "Pokemon Shipwreck", and when James didn't sound like he had a nasty sinus infection. So I guess what I'm saying is that I doubt the 5th generation will be any better than the last, because the characters have nowhere to go but downhill anymore.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    I'd like to see a lot more strategy and complexity, like in the manga. Battles in the anime now are like you said, command and attack. I'd like to see more uniqueness.

CakeForTheSoul

You Are A Cinema
    Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2011
    1. What kills me is the fact that Pikachu,No offense to anyone who like Pikachu, is that they make Pikachu seem like it can destroy every type of pokemon (most of the time) with Thunderbolt or an Electric move.

2. That and in the First and Second Gen Ash got all 3 Starters. In 3rd they Each main character got one (Ex.Max but then again He befriended Deoxys and Jarachi and other pokemon).But in the Forth Gen Brock got left out which is a good thing in my opinion because there now evolving all the starters.Except for Dawn which again is basically saying what dude is saying up in the first post.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • the anime should do to become watchable once again.

The show is targeted at kids (if you insist, Japanese kids). Why should they ever do anything to appeal to the older generation?

See, you said it was a kid's show yourself.
    Besides, there are new kids watching this show. Brock's new to them.

Coordinator is enough, why do we need a contest star? If the character is a contest star, does it mean (s)he'll be winning every contest she's in? That's gonna be boring.

FYI Dawn doesn't suck in battles. Did you even WATCH the episodes? Did you, in case, watch the tag battles?
    Same for May. Yes, I don't remember seeing her have trainer battles, but the contests weren't as elegant and frilly as you think. Like the battle against Drew.

I begin to worry if you have EVER watched the episodes at all. Do you remember Paul for instance? Do you remember how Ash lost to Roark and Gardenia, and if we count her, Fantina?

We had that male newbie who wanted to catch a Yanma. Ash stepped in to help. (With Dawn and Brock, but still.) Your point?

Let your Pokemon move freely a bit? Are you kidding me? Your Pokemon should trust in your commands, and you should trust the Pokemon in delivering. Any other unnecessary "free"time means your Pokemon doesn't trust you, and you are in for big trouble then.

If the battles are dangerous, you are endangering your Pokemon, your partner and your friend. Forfeit as soon as possible.

#1!

This isn't the games. When you're in real life, do you expect yourself to be able to get to the other city in an HOUR? I like it that they take a little realism and also mix a little from games.
    Do you see the trainers in the routes? Take them as the filler characters and you'll see what I mean.

To you? No thanks. The series is flawed, but we're not the target audience. Suck it up and live with it.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • CakeForTheSoul said:
    2. That and in the First and Second Gen Ash got all 3 Starters. In 3rd they Each main character got one (Ex.Max but then again He befriended Deoxys and Jarachi and other pokemon).But in the Forth Gen Brock got left out which is a good thing in my opinion because there now evolving all the starters.Except for Dawn which again is basically saying what dude is saying up in the first post.

How does that say anything?

Spoiler:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Personally, I say yes. But a few things have to happen first. While it'd be ideal if they got rid of Ash all together, it's obvious that won't happen, so here's a list of the five things, imo, that the anime should do to become watchable once again.

The Original and Johto series were more mature. Brock was a pervert and that's what made him funny. Although the show was aimed at kids I still find that it used to be more mature than it is now. Topics like death, attraction between main characters, cross-dressing, some sexual innuendo, etc. made the original anime more mature.

I think the Poke-thon will replace contests.

We need a girl like Misty. She wasn't a beginning trainer she was the Cerulean Gym Leader.

Also need moar of Ash making stuff up. Thunder Armor and "aim for the horn!" ftw!

#1!

They let the story drag on too much I agree. In the original series Ash progressed through the Kanto Leauge rather quickly now it's like over a dozen episodes in-between Gym battles.

Those are my thoughts. Disagree oif you wish.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Yay, I get to argue with someone. I was getting a little bored honestly.

FreakyLocz14 said:
    The Original and Johto series were more mature. Brock was a pervert and that's what made him funny. Although the show was aimed at kids I still find that it used to be more mature than it is now. Topics like death, attraction between main characters, cross-dressing, some sexual innuendo, etc. made the original anime more mature.

A lot of what you said there was just added for comedy. Some of the things such as death are still present in the animé today. The "attraction between main characters" thing doesn't make anything mature either. What the hell were you trying to get at there? And cross-dressing doesn't make anything mature either. As for your sexual innuendo part, those were few and far in between. They were practically done away with when Johto began.

Also need moar of Ash making stuff up. Thunder Armor and "aim for the horn!" ftw!

They've come up with pretty inventive things in Dinmond & Pearl for both Ash and dawn sch that spin technique, that counter shirld, Flame Ice, etc.

They let the story drag on too much I agree. In the original series Ash progressed through the Kanto Leauge rather quickly now it's like over a dozen episodes in-between Gym battles.

Kanto was originally supposed to be 80-something episodes and even then they had a 25 episode gap between Koga and Blaine. Johto had a horrendous gap between Whitney and Morty (22 spisodes) and Morty and Jasmine (26 episodes).

DXrobots

Just a passing through trainer
    Years
  • Heres an Idea lets end the series all together and start a brand new pokemon series following new characters in generation 5 yet still having some ties to the originals. Why not have say Gary become a professor in the new series and have him hand out the starters to the generation of heroes, and have brock and misty become new gym leaders in the new region and have ash play the role as champion or something.

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2010
    The only way it can "redeem" itself in the eyes of many grown fans, is to stop trying to appeal to the new young generations, and go back to the roots and become more "teen" friendly as an anime. Right now it's too mushy for any 16 year old or older to take any interest in, for all the obvious reasons stated above. It would need a darker plot, a higher animation budget and some bad ass character concepts to "redeem" itself.

But that's just my two cents.

Back