• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black people

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    In case you havent noticed
    Pokémon has never had BLACK people in it,

Do you think tehre gonna put black people in ,

Pokémon Black and White?

I think they should
    its really racist to be honest!

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    There's a screenshot of a darker skinned fellow sprite in the early Coro Coro pages.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Awesome
    !!

but still cant believe there was no black people all along

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • JUST EVERYONE WATCH WHAT THEY SAY IN THIS THREAD!

ANY RACIST COMMENTS AND I WILL CUT YOU DOWN SO FAST YOU WON'T KNOW WHAT HIT YOU.

Anyway, I hope we get more variety in the races of people in this game. I kind of understood in the first four games because they were based on Japanese locales but this one is looking likes its taking place somewhere else, so hopefully we'll see something different.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • What Horizon said.

And dahlia (of the Battle Frontier) is black. And someone (I don't know the name) in Shadows of Almia is too.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    Where is the "Will there be white people in Pokemon XXX?" thread. These characters aren't white. They're fair-skinned, but they aren't white. You should rephrase your question.....

If you're specifically looking for dark-skinned persons in video games, then point your finger at heterogeneous countries, like America. We really have no reason at all for the lack of diversity in our games (but we're making an effort these days?).

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    I don't see anything racist about this other than the people that make it look racist. Japan doesn't have a lot of black people living in it, so they don't really add them in their games because they don't see them a lot. Also, there is no reason this is racist because the games are based in Japan. It's only racist if you make it racist or your a troll.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    What Horizon said.

And dahlia (of the Battle Frontier) is black. And someone (I don't know the name) in Shadows of Almia is too.

Don't forget Phoebe! I absolutely love her. She's so pretty.~ (Though I really see these characters as Indian due to the nations close proximity to Asian countries but whatever. I don't think I'll get far arguing that point here.)

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • Yeah I always saw Phoebe as more Pacific Islander than black. But Dahlia was definitely of African descent.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Dahlia is not of African descent... she is Middle Eastern and they did their best to let you know without saying it. Look at her battle facility, theme music and Pokemon. She IS in fact poof that there can and will be other races included.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2010
    In case you havent noticed
    Pokémon has never had BLACK people in it,

Do you think tehre gonna put black people in ,

Pokémon Black and White?

I think they should
    its really racist to be honest!

I haven't noticed it because I don't care about race. We're all human, we all originally came from Africa, so what difference does skin color/physical features make? The people who point this stuff out and complain about not "putting black people in it" are the racist ones because they think only about race. Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing black people in Pokemon, I think it would be cool, but that's not what I think about when I play Pokemon.

PokéToast

Want Some Toast?
    Years
  • It's not racist in the bit. Pokémon is made in Japan. It's based off the Japanese regions, and it's majority retail comes from Japan. So, being a company, they're going to make their products relatable to their biggest buyers, ie, making 99% of the game's characters light skinned.

99%? Well, there is Brock...

Dylan1

ALOT IS NOT A WORD!!!!
    Years
  • i seem to remember a darker skinned character in colloseum. or am i crazy?

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Huh. I just noticed that. I don't think it's racism though =/
    I certainly didn't call Pokemon sexist back when we couldn't choose to play as a girl.

Back