• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Not Gotta Catch 'em All

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    My question is, whatever happened to Ash's goal to "Catch 'em all"?
    He started out in Kanto trying to catch every Pokémon, sending one to Oak every episode or so with the Gym challenge as a secondary objective. Nowadays he catches 5-6 Pokémon per region. So, has he given up on completing the Pokédex for Prof. Oak?

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    My question is, whatever happened to Ash's goal to "Catch 'em all"?

Ash's was and still is to be a Pokemon Master. "Gotta Catch em all" was a tagline for the franchise, and is a translation of the Japanese line which is still in use today. The Japanese line is much simpler, roughly saying "Get Pokemon!". Also, it's just not realistic for someone to own hundreds of Pokemon and have a caretaker for them. Not to mention that often in the case of Legendary Pokemon, they just aren't MEANT to be caught.

Furthermore, the Pokedex doesn't work the same way as it does in the games. The Dex information is already programmed into it in the anime. It is there as a guide. In the games, you are out there recording information and filling up the dex for the regional professor.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    In one episode (the name slips my mind) this topic is discussed. With Ash starting as a young inexperienced trainer trying to catch every different type of Pokemon to become the most powerful trainer in history to one that tries to bring out the full potential in one's Pokemon through hardwork, determination, and spirit.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    That was when there were only 2 Pokemon that were impossible to catch. Now there are what? 20-30?

Besides, it became...corny... or something after a while. Not to mention that was the primary target of soccer moms that claimed Nintendo was an FCC (****ing-bigass-udder Cash Cow).

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • In the first season he only boxed three Pokemon (if you count all thirty Tauros as one). And caught thirteen Pokemon all together (including Raticate and Haunter).

He's never really done a good job at that.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2019
    I never concentrated on this topic. Besides, it would of gotten dull and boring.

Years
  • That slogan was dropped when RS came out.

In one episode (the name slips my mind) this topic is discussed. With Ash starting as a young inexperienced trainer trying to catch every different type of Pokemon to become the most powerful trainer in history to one that tries to bring out the full potential in one's Pokemon through hardwork, determination, and spirit.
    It's pretty much this. Ash just simply tweaked his training style.

Back