• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Anyone else bored of Grass, Water and Fire type starters?

New starter types that aren't Grass, Water and Fire?

• Yes please!

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No thanks!

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
  • Sure, it's tradition, but I think they should've tried something new for this Generation. Maybe a Psychic Fighting and Dark starter trio? Or an Ice Ground Rock trio?

Game Freak need to start trying new things. To be quite honest, I wouldn't really care all that much if they canned the current starters and created new ones with different types. At least we'd be getting something fresh.

So what's your take on this, PC?

Years
  • Well to be completly honest I don't care what type the starters are. I mean unless they are horrible types to start with then yes change them but nintendo see's it as they don't need to change what is already good. But hey come on some change is good so I also wouldn't mind it to much if there was different typed starters.

So my final idea is, a change of type would be nice, but is it needed? No.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I think this will never happen. Not everything in pokemon has to change.

Years
  • Firstly, as has been stated thousands of times by others, the Psychic/Fighting/Dark trio doesn't technically work (backwards, Dark is immune to Psychic, which is kinda broken). As for the other one that do work - they're most likely just coincedences. Fire/Grass/Water are good because they represent three of the elements, and at least have connections.

Also, if you're bored about the F/G/W trio, then don't use your starter.

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
    Years
  • I wouldn't mind if starters were random. I mean.. What if I live 100500km away from the lab with starters, then what? xD I'll get myself something different instead.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Well to be completly honest I don't care what type the starters are. I mean unless they are horrible types to start with then yes change them but nintendo see's it as they don't need to change what is already good. But hey come on some change is good so I also wouldn't mind it to much if there was different typed starters.

So my final idea is, a change of type would be nice, but is it needed? No.
    Of course it isn't needed. I just think we need more variation. And a starter is sll a starter, so why the hell not?
    I think this will never happen. Not everything in pokemon has to change.
    It probably wont happen. And what do you mean by "not everything has to change"? I mentioned one thing - changing the starter's types. I didn't say anything else 'should' change.
    Also, if you're bored about the F/G/W trio, then don't use your starter.
    That isn't the point. I'm getting sick and tired of people using this as an argument. The point is changing the starter's types, so that we can have a starter Psychic type or Dark type of whatever. You know, as a novelty/just for a change. Just because I think it should change doesn't mean I resent the current starter types and 'Shouldn't use them'.

Last edited:

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • I am not bored. what if the starters in DP were not f/w/g then the only fire type would have been a freaking ponyta. The types should stay the way they are. Like someone else mentioned if you don't like the starter's type then don't use them.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I am not bored. what if the starters in DP were not f/w/g then the only fire type would have been a freaking ponyta.

Of course.

And anyway they (in a way) can be any type by being dual-typed.

Years
  • That isn't the point. I'm getting sick and tired of people using this as an argument.
    It's perfectly legitimate, and you brought it upon yourself by making this thread. And if you're bored of them, normally that means you don't want to use them.

I'm not saying other starter's types would be bad, but then they shouldn't really be in any specific triangle.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Honestly, I've never been bored of it because I know it's coming and it's just not something that bothers me. This generation, it would have made some sense to try something new considering that they wanted this generation to be a sort of reboot for the series. Also the characters being older, perhaps signifying that they wouldn't start their journey in the same fashion as the previous games, which could have leaded to different type starters.

If they were going to change it, this would have been the pristine time to do it. Something tells me they don't plan on changing this tradition, and I'm honestly fine with that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back