• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Making A MMO In Blender

rockeymon

Real life Silver Shirubaa
Years
Well I have been recently working out a storyline and kinks in the story for a MMO Made in blender. It would be made alot like DDO Runescape and a few other games out there combined and then pokemon. It would have alot of functions that you just can't get with 2-D games no matter whether they look 2d/3d a real 3D game.
What I would like to know is what would the best engine to make it in would be. Possibly a website that I could FREELY Post the server for us to get together to test it on (assuming that I find a team that will help build it). People who will do Blender Sculpting for the pokemon. And of course the people for the programmin/Coding/Scripting what ever you want to call it.
If you are intrested in helping at all just Pm me for information.

Years
  • Seen May 21, 2021
I have heard a lot of good things from some other forums i visit that Unity is good for 3D, I personally haven't used it.

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
What I would recommend is actually programming it whether its from scratch or using game libraries out there, but I doubt you even have any programming experience so I recommend Realm Crafter: http://www.realmcrafter.com/

Years
  • Seen May 21, 2021
I've heard realm crafter is not a very good engine at all, although I have never used it.

I'm not so sure about this stuff, only 3D stuff I'm interested in is platformers :D I much prefer 2D. B.ut if you are willing to learn a programming language it is much better to do that

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
I've heard realm crafter is not a very good engine at all, although I have never used it.

I'm not so sure about this stuff, only 3D stuff I'm interested in is platformers :D I much prefer 2D. B.ut if you are willing to learn a programming language it is much better to do that
Its hell lot better than any game made by guys with very limited programming experience... No one is going to hand you anything on a silver platter

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
Years
The OP clearly doesn't have much programming experience or game making experience...
If he really wants to program a game, then rather than spending ages with an engine, he should learn to program first.

The way he defines an engine (Free website where he can put his server, etc...), what he really is looking for is a host for his game.
Well, forget about the trivial things like the server host and stuff, first create something, then make it public.

For a game engine, I haven't used any game engines, but I've read books that recommend Torque, Untiy, etc. (Tbh, I hadn't even heard of Realcrafter until now) A better list is at wikipedia, and if you really want good resources and suggestions, I recommend http://www.gamedev.net

rockeymon

Years
Mr. Ck@ thank you very much.
what none of you seem to understand so far is I do not plan on imediatly doing the programming. I don't understand how to program yet and until I physicly have someone who can sit down and explain every little detail that comes to mind I won't be able to. I plan on going to other forums and looking for people who want to make a pokemon game like you where really there in the region so if you don't like the idea or the fact that I can't program and have no real experience in any programming like thing then go to another topic and flame them. Now for those who are intrested in this and want to know more about it and might even want to help them ask about it and I can tell you but until then leave me alone about what I "can't" do and look at what I can (even though what I can do isn't alot).

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
Years
Hmm... then what are you going to do?

You want Blender artists...
You want programmers...
And the next thing you're going to ask for is Music artists. And then gameplay designers... Somebody to design the protocol... etc.
"I just give the idea..." Well ideas aren't worth anything in the game industry :)

Either you create the art or the game or both (that's what most do, create the game with programmer art until they get an artist to help)... Usually, no programmer would work on your fan game until you have programmed something already. So you do have to program something.
If not programming, pick up a engine... Work night and day to learn how to use it, and then create your game.

rockeymon

Years
well I am going to try to make a game on my own in Xtreme worlds engine base and learn how to do the scripting in it and once I get somewhere with it I'll post it here.

TheWindMage

Wild Contradiction appeared!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
I hate to put a damper on your spirits, but I have doubts that you will get very far.

Now, I'm not saying it's impossible. It's far from impossible, but most people get bored/tired of learning/don't get it,
so they quit and never really finish. And that's why everyone seemed so mean when they were responding. Because
everyone claims to start making a game and all this stuff, and never finish it. Even I did it, years ago when I tried with
RPG Maker XP. I thought I could make my own game, but I couldn't and gave up. And I thought everyone was silly for
telling me there was a 99% chance I wasn't going to finish.

Also, sorry if I sounded mean at all in this post. If I do, I really don't intend it to sound mean. I'm just trying to be realistic.

Back