• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What gender is Ash's Pikachu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
  • As the title says.

I think I remember back in Kanto, Indigo season. That Pikachu was a girl.
    --
    And now allot of people are saying that Pikachu is a boy.
    -
    I for one have watched the anime through, minus most of Johto/Sinnoh.

So what gender is Pikachu now?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    In explanation, it has been confirmed Pikachu is a male because Jessie's Yanmega was explicitly claimed to be a girl because it wasn't affected by a Togepi's attract in a certain episode, while Pikachu was infatuated. This confirms Pikachu as male.

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
  • Yeah, I always thought it was a male too just because of the way Ash treats it. "Heya buddy!" I dunno. Always thought Pikachu was a male.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    I think it is male as well, because....
    Spoiler:

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • ^ (mervyn797)

Spoiler:

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    ^ (mervyn797)

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    I always thought Pikachu as a male.
    It's really hard to imagine it as a girl. Truly it is.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Spoiler:
    Errr... no, no!
    I can talk in a stereotypical female accsent if I felt like it, that proves nothing, especially if it's only been heard in a less then a minute preview!~ [didn't put that into a spoiler because theres nothing spoilerish in that sentence]

To be honest, the question was already answered by AK47 in the second post, we don't need another ton of people repeating the same answer for post count! :\
    In my opinion I have always kind of found Pikachu a bit more male than female, despite the times it's been dressed up as a girl or at least im sure in kanto Misty imagened it in a dress xD Maybe pikachus a hermaphrodite or maybe it's just a tranny!?
    But to be honest the writers probably didn't even make up their minds on what gender it was untill that togepi episode in Sinnoh :\!~

Last edited:

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Spoiler:
    Well first off, the preview doesn't even show Tsutaja's voice, it's narrated by satoshi so what preview are you looking at? So no, the less than a minute preview doesn't prove anything! And second as I said before, I can talk in a stereotypical female accsent if I felt like it, everyone sounds a little different, male or female not everyone talks the same way, thats just being stereotypical even men can talk soft n' stuff - but what my really is, is that not everyone sounds exactly the same, just look at richie's sparky n' ash's pikachu, sparky's voice is soft!
    If it was Female, it would have that stupid love heart-shaped tail... Duhh...
    Therefore, it is Male...
    Sorry, this just made me literally "Laugh Out Loud."
    The differences between male and female Pokémon wasn't introduced untill the 4th generation (four years ago) Duhh... xD The anime has been going on for longer than 10 years... Duhh... xD
    Although, then again, jokes aside, you do bring up a good point (maybe without realising) maybe that gender difference is what made the Anime directors decide on what gender pikachu is! They couldn't just randomly change pikachus tail (or maybe they could have) so they decided to stick with the tail it's always had and make a male!

Sorry if that last bit sounded like jibberish!~ :O

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011

Well first off, the preview doesn't even show Tsutaja's voice, it's narrated by satoshi so what preview are you looking at? So no, the less than a minute preview doesn't prove anything! And second as I said before, I can talk in a stereotypical female accsent if I felt like it, everyone sounds a little different, male or female not everyone talks the same way, thats just being stereotypical even men can talk soft n' stuff - but what my really is, is that not everyone sounds exactly the same, just look at richie's sparky n' ash's pikachu, sparky's voice is soft!
    No, it wasn't shown in the preview to episode 7.
    Only if Youtube hadn't been removing all those previews, I would have linked you to that specific BW preview. ._.; I know that I'm dragging this a bit too long, but I have a point I got to prove. >_< Looks like I'll have to wait for this episode to be aired.

There, found it after half an hour of searching. >_> >Click Here< I know that it is short, but good enough for at least me to judge whether it is a male or a female.

And do we have proof whether Richie's Sparky was male?

Look, I don't think that Pokemon are interested in talking in a stereotypical female accent, like humans. -_-;

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

• Sorry, this just made me literally "Laugh Out Loud."
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]The differences between male and female Pokémon wasn't introduced untill the 4th generation (four years ago)[/S-HIGHLIGHT] Duhh... xD The anime has been going on for longer than 10 years... Duhh... xD
    Although, then again, jokes aside, you do bring up a good point (maybe without realising) maybe that gender difference is what made the Anime directors decide on what gender pikachu is! They couldn't just randomly change pikachus tail (or maybe they could have) so they decided to stick with the tail it's always had and make a male!

Sorry if that last bit sounded like jibberish!~ :O

I accept the "gender differences" thing as proof for all Pokemon, even those shown in the anime before Generation IV. So, Pikachu having the tail of a male Pikachu (as depicted in DPPt/HGSS) can be viewed as proof that Pikachu is male.

Plus, if you go with the "gender differences being introduced in Generation IV; Pikachu was shown before that so the tail difference doesn't count" argument, technically, one could argue that Pokemon genders, aside from Nidoran♂ and Nidoran♀, weren't introduced until Generation II, thus making any Generation I/pre-Johto Journeys Pokemon genderless (which would mean that Ash's Pikachu is genderless as well). ;)

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    There, found it after half an hour of searching. >_> >Click Here< I know that it is short, but good enough for at least me to judge whether it is a male or a female.
    Well actually, I remember watching that ages ago :O That was shown even because the first ep aired :\ Well I do agree on that tsutaja's voice does sound
    stereotypically female, but that evidence doesn't validate your point, we're discusing what confirmed Pikachu's male gender at the moment, and as everyone else has said, it was already confirmed when Togepi used Attract, long before this tsutaja episode

And do we have proof whether Richie's Sparky was male?
    That's not the point I was trying to make :\ If anything, I could say the same thing to you about tsutaja... Basing a gender on a persons voice can um... well I don't know how to put it :\
    Look, I don't think that Pokemon are interested in talking in a
    stereotypical female accent, like humans. -_-;

Do you know what that means? If anything that video you linked did show a
    "stereotypical female accent" for tsutaja -.-"~ Obviously everyones gonna sound a different, even the most stongest person in the world could sound like kitten, or pokemon wise, even the strongest machamp in the world could sound like a choroneko..

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • That episode where Piplup and Pikachu fall in love caused by some machine confirms their males "/ that was before Where no togepi has gone before.

Dawn and Ash claim that it was impossible because they were both males

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011

Do you know what that means? If anything that video you linked did show a
    "stereotypical female accent" for tsutaja -.-"~ Obviously everyones gonna sound a different, even the most stongest person in the world could sound like kitten, or pokemon wise, even the strongest machamp in the world could sound like a choroneko..
    Ummm.. lol
    I guess I should have worded that better. I don't want to continue this argument any further, just want to clarify what I actually meant.- Male Pokemon wouldn't want to speak in a female voice, like you said that you can speak in a female accent.
    Obviously everyones gonna sound a different, even the most stongest person in the world could sound like kitten, or pokemon wise, even the strongest machamp in the world could sound like a choroneko..
    No.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back