• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most influential?

Most influential?

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    As we grow up, we're taught about the world in many different ways. Our family, school, our friends and many other things affect our learning and how we perceive the world. But which has had the most impact overall in making you the person you are today?

As for me, in recent years I think I've been mostly influenced by peers. Through both hate and love, it's shaped who I am now. Although throughout my life, I think the largest influence overall has been the media. The media definitely had the largest impact on me before I was 15, then it changed to peers. So I'll choose media.

Your turn.

I just included the 4 choices I assumed would be most popular in the poll, I'm not saying that any other factors are less important.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I'd have to say peers for the most part, apart from family which comes second. Peers are always influential to me over family at many times, and that's particularly my thoughts here about it, they've been a great influence in my life even if most are online but still, I am the person who I am today thanks to peers.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Family definitely

Friends keep coming and going, educational institutes eventually lose their grip on you, and I'm far too cynical to put any faith in the media. :/

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I find family and education as the most influential parts of my life. They motivate me to do what's right.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    The most influential for me is peers. I hang around them most of the time, so why not?

Years
  • My family, by far. With moving around so often, friends and teachers come and go and weren't in my life very long at all. Media... meh, I don't put much stock in it. My family was always there, teaching me pretty much everything I know. I've always been super attached to them. ^^;

revlis

Translator-in-Training
    Years
  • My family are most probably my biggest influence, they are the ones that i learn much from. yet at the same time I am also influenced greatly by my peers, teachers and the media.

Garouga! Bare Your Fangs!

Throw your fangs up!
    Years
  • I never really learned from my family. Their words of wisdom boiled down to "You can love a rich person just as easily as a poor person" and "Don't talk to yourself because they put people away for that."

Yeah...Anyway, biggest influence on my life was Tony Kakko of Sonata Arctica. I always loved his musical genius, and meeting him in April solidified him as my hero. I suppose his influence would be "Other".

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • My family are never there for me. They are very rash and judgemental. I can't stand them and their ways. Their prejudice towards other races and the constant gossiping are nowhere near what one would call good.

That's why I rely more on my friends. They are always there for me, even when they're facing problems of their own. The reason why I'm who I am right now are from many factors in my life, but nothing comes close to my friends and how they influenced me. It's not influencing in a bad way, I overcame many obstacles and problems because of them. If it wasn't for my friends, I would've still be an emotional wreck. They pulled me up when I was down, something that my family could never do for me.

I would like to say that music also influenced me greatly. The artists and their songs are something that moved me so much during my life. What I listened to also influenced me. The lyrics... oh the lyrics. Thank goodness that rap and rock are always there during those rare times when I shut out the world.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Friends and one of my cousins for me. Also music.

My family is quick to judge so if I don't act to their expectations they'll shun me, but I could care less. I don't really bother them and they don't bother me. I have a few close friends and they really impact me, same with one of my cousins, she is always there for me and always gives me advice. The music I listen to has a HUGE impact on how I feel the rest of the day.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    The media. Mostly because some songs out there have changed my life for the better and for the worse. I wouldn't be who I am without media existing.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2010
    Music.

I don't know if that falls under 'Media' , but music has always been by my side since a very young age, shaping me into who i am today.

If it was never for me listening to Blink at the age of 12, i would have never of had the guts or confidence to ever start talking to females ( i was a very insecure and shy boy ).

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2021
    In my opinion, I think that it's the people that you respect the most that will influence you the most. Alongside them, you will also be majorly influenced by your friends, especially those friends who are closest to you. It's something to do with a weird psychological twist; sometimes, you'll want to be like them, other times, you will just want to impress them. In doing so, you are usually changed; sometimes subtly, sometimes rather noticeably.

Parents and older people usually have a big impact on you and your life, especially when you're young. Parents like to exercise control over your life to a certain extent, for example, your study, physical agenda, etc. Other times, people like to look up to these older people for support and advice, and that's what also influences them.

Overall, it's the people you respect the most that will influence you the most. Sometimes it's because you admire them and you just want to impress them. These people aren't like your parents or friends; they're not always someone you know in person, or you are very close to. Not only this, but people keep the fact that they respect these people to themselves, and for a good reason. It's a nice secret to keep.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Media probably. My family have been a terrible influence for the most part.

Captain Fabio - My family and 4chan influenced me as I was growing up. - Made me Lol.

Black Prince

±♠ サヨナラ ♠±
    Years
  • Everyone I know have made me becoming the person I am today. It can be on a good way as it can be on a bad one. Friends, family, media, education, all.
    People's thoughts and behavior have all made something change inside of me. And I can't say that I want to thank most of the people concerned.
    Buuut, this is a long story and nobody cares 'bout my life. XD LOL
    However, I'm not saying that I'm easily influenced, I have my own thoughts too and those ones have a role too.

Also, I have not to forget that my passion (Manga/Animes, drawing and everything which is related to that kind of stuff) is for something in the person I am now. Yes, on that point I'm easily influenced, because I want to believe in their world, I'd love so much to be by the side of my favourite characters and live an interesting journey.
    Ah well, I'm a great dreamer and I don't think that anything will have the potential to change it. C:

Back