• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Updating Scripts/Buggy Scripts

PokeSatsu

Noob Hacker
Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2012
    Hello.
    I'm completely new to this scripting thing, and so far I only know how to make a simple talking script.

Things go okay until I test out the script - sometimes the words go beyond the box, and I have to fix it...

This is where things get weird.

When I compile the script and check again, it either stays the same, totally screws up and have these weird letters, or nothing happens at all (the npc faces me and there's a sound, but no box).

There's obviously something doing wrong, but I don't know what.
    Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Hello.
    I'm completely new to this scripting thing, and so far I only know how to make a simple talking script.

Things go okay until I test out the script - sometimes the words go beyond the box, and I have to fix it...

This is where things get weird.

When I compile the script and check again, it either stays the same, totally screws up and have these weird letters, or nothing happens at all (the npc faces me and there's a sound, but no box).

There's obviously something doing wrong, but I don't know what.
    Help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    When you compile a script and then go back and edit it while it is still compiled the script increases bytes. Which messes everything up. So you should recompile the edited script instead of changing an already compiled script.

Divider

Grand Master Johto Champion
    Years
  • This is what I do. I put my unmodded "test" rom into a .rar or .zip file, and compile the script into the rom, if I need to edit the script, i Take a fresh unmodifed copy from the .zip or .rar, that way I don't waste space, and the @start offeset is usually identical. It's a great way to test and debug without a worry.

Also if your just replacing the script over and over, make sure not using:
    #dynamic 0x(offset)

otherwise It's just going to occupy new space everytime, and nothing will change.

Last edited:
    Back