• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hacking a DSi?

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
Years
Ok, firstly, I see no rules about not posting threads like this, so I assume this is ok. Secondly, I see no other posts or thread about this even with searching, so I'll ask here.

I have a friend who has an American DSi but wants the Japanese version of Black or White, and as I understand it, a Japanese Black or White will not play on an American DSi because of the stupid region lock. So here's my question: how does one go about hacking a DSi to make it region-free, and is there any risk of damaging the system?

I tried searching on Google but wasn't finding answers and thought it'd be a lot easier to just have someone tell me directly.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I believe it is absolutely impossible. If you want to play imports I recommend getting a DS Phat/DS Lite second-hand.

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
Years
How could it be impossible? There are sites talking like it can be done and someone talked about the idea of doing it once before on this board in another thread...

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
It's not been done before. The only way to play BW on a DSi is to either own a copy that corresponds to the region of your DSi or to run a BW ROM on a DSi-compatiable flashcart (In which case it would not have that one DSi enhancment because flashcarts still run in DS compatability mode)

Nobody's really made any headway (or particularly cared, probably) into hacking the DSi-mode of the system because of the small library of DSi-enhanced software and miniscule library of DSi-exclusive software.

e: oh wait, turns out Team Cyclops just announced the first proper DSi-mode flashcart last week

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
Years
What is a flashcart, how does it work, and where could one acquire it?

EDIT: This is frustrating. I don't think my friend will want to do a ROM and flashcard. Guess that means she'll have to get the American version, or sell her DSi and buy a Japanese one. No good options.

Thanks for your help though, I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Geoff_P1

Add me on msn etc if you want.
Years
To play roms etc you're alot better off getting an older ds, like the 1st generation to prevent any risk to the dsi.

Back