• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Blocking people

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
  • I think that a system were you can simply block someone from sending you VM/PMs and posting on your threads instead of pleeding with staff or attempting to stop them yourself would be really good.
    When someone gets annoyed by you, they do one of three things. The first is they just ignore you, which is fine. The second is they do something which makes them get a warning, and stop whatever they were doing. The third is they VM/PM/Post on your thread with comments that break no rules, but are still really annoying and stressful to you. Being able to block those sorts of people would be great.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    That's the whole point of the ignore list. It stops those on your ignore list from PMing you (last I checked) and blocks what they say unless you click "view post" to see what they say. Don't see why another feature similar is needed?

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • That's the whole point of the ignore list. It stops those on your ignore list from PMing you (last I checked) and blocks what they say unless you click "view post" to see what they say. Don't see why another feature similar is needed?
    It does stop them PMing you, but not VMing, so that makes no difference. And not being able to see their post makes no difference at all.

Poster

Will pixel art for pizza
    Years
  • Someone's starting to get pissed at his replies on Xenotime...

Simply put, if they can ignore you after you annoy them, ignore back. Personally, I don't think you present a motive strong enough for a new feature to be implemented, especially if you're putting a personal experience up front and not something that the site is generally lacking. People annoying you and/or you annoying others is something that can be changed overnight, this is not MSN, and Forever's reply covers something that you clearly not understood:

And not being able to see their post makes no difference at all.
    The third is they VM/PM/Post on your thread with comments that break no rules, but are still really annoying and stressful to you

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I shouldn't have to stop almost every one else VMing me for one person.

Well thats the way it is so I would get used to it :/

There is actually no point of bringing in another system to stop people. Simply "Ignore"

Last edited:
    Years
  • You can delete VMs people send you. I know that's not the same thing as stopping them in the first place, but if someone is being unreasonable and harassing you with VMs you can always report it to the staff.

Manaphy.10

Not Your Average Gamer
    Years
  • Here is a non-technical solution for you:

If they are annoying you:

Ask them why they are doing it and then tell them to stop. If they don't stop, it is considered harassment.

If they are harassing you:

Report to moderator. That's their job after all, and I am sure they would be happy to help you.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Keep in mind that that even if the forum will do some of the ignoring for you, you can also do your own part in ignoring them too. Just don't reply to their VMs and if they're really that bad to you, report them.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • If someone is on your ignore list they cannot VM you if you set your visitor messages to Registered Users; if you select Everyone then people you ignore can still VM you.

Melody

Banned
    Years

• Then set your Vms/profile page to Contacts and Moderators only, that way they can't VM you- only your friends and staff can.

May I also point out that you do not have to set your VMs to Contacts and Moderators only?

If you will go to Profile Privacy in the UserCP you will see a drop down box for every major thing on your profile. Change them from "Everyone" to "Registered Members" and vB will start honoring your ignore list for VMs, as Ignored users are lumped into the "Everyone" category. Be sure to set that on every element you don't want them seeing.

Years
    • Seen today
    I really hate the vBulletin default way of ignoring people and fully support this suggestion. I'm really confused what everyone else is getting at, to be honest. I mean, if someone dislikes you enough to put you on their ignore list, they don't want to know you posted. They don't want a link. They don't want it anywhere on their screen. Harsh, but true. There are some people here who really utilize the ignore system to what it's meant to be. A way to get rid of someone from contacting you, or knowing they contacted you. I don't think they really give a damn at that point of what you have to say. It's silly to have to limit yourself by changing who can contact you (or see content, for that matter) just for one person.

Take VMs for example. While I may not ignore people, there are times where I'm not logged on and don't feel like doing so, but want to check my VMs. I can't view my VMs if I decided to take the time to block that one person from contacting me, and set my privacy to registered members. And having to ignore their ignore message in the first place is really, really contradictory of the ignore system. Just get rid of the ignore message all together!

You know, I don't think this would be very hard to implement at all, if the appropriate peoples would be able to take the time to do so. These are really controlled by, like everything, templates.

Doing a quick search, there are 13 templates that relate to ignored users. 7 of which could probably be edited. Editing the template to perhaps <div display: none><main code here></div> could be a simple, simple, simple solution to the problem. The content itself will still be there, but it will be hidden. You wouldn't have any idea that it's even there to begin with unless you take the time to search in the source code or inspect the element.

In fact, I did so, and tested it on my test forum, and it works fine...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I really hate the vBulletin default way of ignoring people and fully support this suggestion. I'm really confused what everyone else is getting at, to be honest. I mean, if someone dislikes you enough to put you on their ignore list, they don't want to know you posted. They don't want a link. They don't want it anywhere on their screen. Harsh, but true. There are some people here who really utilize the ignore system to what it's meant to be. A way to get rid of someone from contacting you, or knowing they contacted you. I don't think they really give a damn at that point of what you have to say. It's silly to have to limit yourself by changing who can contact you (or see content, for that matter) just for one person.

Take VMs for example. While I may not ignore people, there are times where I'm not logged on and don't feel like doing so, but want to check my VMs. I can't view my VMs if I decided to take the time to block that one person from contacting me, and set my privacy to registered members. And having to ignore their ignore message in the first place is really, really contradictory of the ignore system. Just get rid of the ignore message all together!

You know, I don't think this would be very hard to implement at all, if the appropriate peoples would be able to take the time to do so. These are really controlled by, like everything, templates.

Doing a quick search, there are 13 templates that relate to ignored users. 7 of which could probably be edited. Editing the template to perhaps <div display: none><main code here></div> could be a simple, simple, simple solution to the problem. The content itself will still be there, but it will be hidden. You wouldn't have any idea that it's even there to begin with unless you take the time to search in the source code or inspect the element.

If that were implemented here, staff would be excluded from being ignored, correct?
    (Just making sure, since if not, then handing out infractions etc could get confusing).

Years
    • Seen today

If that were implemented here, staff would be excluded from being ignored, correct?
    (Just making sure, since if not, then handing out infractions etc could get confusing).
    Staff can't get ignored anyway.

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
    Years
  • Why would we use this?
    Pokécommunity is a nice place and if someone is not, the person is sorted out anyway?

Not going to help much, imo.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I really hate the vBulletin default way of ignoring people and fully support this suggestion. I'm really confused what everyone else is getting at, to be honest. I mean, if someone dislikes you enough to put you on their ignore list, they don't want to know you posted. They don't want a link. They don't want it anywhere on their screen. Harsh, but true. There are some people here who really utilize the ignore system to what it's meant to be. A way to get rid of someone from contacting you, or knowing they contacted you. I don't think they really give a damn at that point of what you have to say. It's silly to have to limit yourself by changing who can contact you (or see content, for that matter) just for one person.

Well, I really like being able to see a person's post, even if they are on my ignore list, so I'd not like the posts to be completely hidden. :<
    I mostly use my ignore list to prevent people from contacting me, and if their posts in the forum are inflammatory, then I won't open their posts. If they're merely being inflammatory or irritating via PM/VM.

Still, if this were a toggle-able option, I wouldn't object to implementing it.

We could also solve the OP's problem by forcing accounts to default to "Registered Members" in Profile Privacy.

Years
    • Seen today
    You can always report the user to a staff!
    Reporting someone for what? The only time you should be reporting someone is if they're breaking a rule. People block others for just about any reason. They're annoying, they don't like their posts, etc. You can't report someone for those reasons. That's more of a misuse of the report system, in my opinion, and pushes more important reports that need to be dealt with further. I'd probably start infracting people for doing something like that, to be honest.

Years
  • Guys, you CAN block people from sending you vm and pm!!!
    Somebody said it up above but you just ignore her XD

1.-First add them to you ignore list
    2.-Go to your control panel
    3.-Go to Profile Privacy
    4.-In all the options put registered members

That way people that is not registered in the forums or in your ignore list won't be able to see your profile, send you a message or contac you. But everybody else will. And is an extra thing that you don't have to read the messages they post in the forums and topics unless you really want to. I mean, what else can be done if the person don't really break up the rules?

Back