• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Social Skills

Years
  • You know, I find it funny that the Board of Education doesn't usually fund or tell schools to have a social skills class. I mean, without social skills, you won't go far in life.

It's a human requirement.

But, how good are your social skills? How do you interact with people on a day-to-day basis?

Capris

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2011
    Well they might have it in special education classes? I don't think most people need a class to tell them how to interact with other people though.

My social skills are fine. I interact with people everyday.. in a social manner? Lmao, what does your second question entail?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • My social skills are in the borderline of poor and above average because I'd rather be by myself and do my own thing; if I'm with other people, I try to socialize in any way I can.

Years
  • Social skills class is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time.

Anyway, they are fine, more than fine. I can happily strike conversation with random people, mainly on nights out, and it will go well asanexample.​

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I think I have decent/excellent communication skills. But my overall social interaction can be compared to crap. Mostly because of how much I am of an "Odd one out" in my school. I focus too much on my academic studies and my personality can take quick swifts, which I really need to control. That + Not looking my age has tarnished my ability to exercise social skills and therefore completely crippled them. Results are few friends outside of school.

But as for writing and general communication, I can do that very well. All depends on what you mean by social skills.

As for teamwork: Also crap, especially in smaller and closer teams. I can't cooperate and I always need to have things under my control to feel comfortable, and the requirements of having to work as a team simply don't fit the way I can do things or learn.

Years
  • Wait a sec...you do realize that without social skills most people wouldn't survive in life?

I mean, this wasn't a problem before, but now, some parents lack social skills, and since school doesn't teach it, the child suffers greatly. They have a kid, and the cycle continues.

Also it's needed to do most things.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I don't talk to people irl, I don't like to talk to people irl, and I don't like to be touched. It's not that I'm awkward, I'm just really shy. When I start to feel comfortable, I make a lot of jokes and such. When you manage to break that little shell I have, I have a great personality and I'm very well liked. Not trying to sound full of myself, haha. But I don't know a lot of people that don't like me, and if you ask anyone I went to high school with, they'll tell you I'm awesome or that they love me. My sister says that when people find out she's my sister, they always say something like that. lol Weird how my social skills SUCK but I'm very well known and liked.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • Social skills class is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time.
    I disagree with this just a bit, actually.

Not that I think they can really devote an entire high school class to it, but they certainly should put more focus on courses that teach you how to work as a team and communicate. You get a job nearly anywhere, and that's the first thing they look for - can you be a team player, and are you sociable? Just go ahead and try to get a job at any retail store by saying "No" to the "Do you like meeting new people" or "Do you feel you work better with others" questions on the cliché personality test. >:

I just feel schools prepare us for every other little thing we may come across in the working world except the ability to be sociable. Heck, my school system discouraged any kind of chatting outside of lunch until I was in either junior or senior high school. .__.; I know it's a little hard to learn such a thing, but incorporating things like more group exercises would really be beneficial to today's youth. I hated group work too as a kid, but it does give you a little more practice for the world.

Unless you plan on owning your own internet business and never leaving your house in the future, that is. :D

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • You know, I find it funny that the Board of Education doesn't usually fund or tell schools to have a social skills class. I mean, without social skills, you won't go far in life.

It's a human requirement.

But, how good are your social skills? How do you interact with people on a day-to-day basis?

Isn't recess for this? You can't really -teach- someone to be more social, you just have to expose them to situations, group projects, and different classroom activities.

You're already learning to be social.. otherwise they could've just made Highschool into an online-only school.
    Also.. that's why I sorta have a problem with homeschooling. Homeschooled kids should be required to do some sort of project or learning activity that involves other people.

But a class for it? Waste of time IMO :/ the non-social kids wouldn't ask questions or anything in it anyways. I know I went to a Catholic school.. and we had religion class which was basically telling you how to approach situations with people with a moral standpoint according to the bible.. but that's as close as you get. Sure it was helpful but I sure as hell didn't need 11 years of it (or however many classes were required) :/

Years
  • Isn't recess for this? You can't really -teach- someone to be more social, you just have to expose them to situations, group projects, and different classroom activities.

This.

No one taught me social skills and I am fine. It would be a waste of a good slot which would be utilized for actual education. How would you teach someone to be more social? Go talk to more people? Interact in this certain way?

Everyone is different and everyone interacts differently in a social situation. You can't tell someone to be happy and bubbly when their personality doesn't fit that. People need to discover their own social skills. This is why there are, as Kura said, group projects, team management and so on. That could be considered 'social classes', but they aren't really.

This is why ice breakers exist. It is to get you to interact with people and to be more open if the situation calls for it.​

Ryden

Friendly Lurker
    Years
  • hmm a class for social skills may not be entirely feasible, but at the very least I do believe School should try to promote more activities and the like to which students are exposed to working together, conmunicating and so and so forth. While monitoring these activities teachers and such would be able to help students by suggesting different ways to go around there interactions I suppose. Its really hard to say.

Form my personally stand point, I probably could of really gained from having more social skills "taught" to me. As it is right now, I actually have social anxiety. Interacting with people is usually really hard for me and I have a tendency to avoid it. Even online it takes me some great effort to actually get myself to post on forums like this.

Years
  • I'm more of a listener than a talker. I prefer to either be in a group where I can not speak much without it being awkward, or with a close friend when I can speak a lot and never run out of things to say. I'm better around talkative people.

As for social skills classes, I think schools will just stuff it up like how they can't control most cases of bullying. I mean a suggested solution to somebody insulting you is saying "Thank you for the compliment, I appreciate it" and walking off. How is that going to stop bullying? If anything it'll make the bully see the bullied as more weird and make them more likely to be picked on. I mean, that's just an example but I can't imagine social skills being any better. Ideally it's a great idea, but I think this is a life skill that can't be taught by schools. It can be helped, definitely, by having more group activities or social clubs or something, but classes dedicated to social skills wouldn't work.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • My social skills are fine when I'm at school, not so much when I'm at home cause there's nobody to socialize with :/ I didn't have any "formal" classes on the topic and I'm still pretty good with social skills. I'm not sure how a class would help that; it's really something that has to happen naturally.

Years
  • They could be better :/

I mean when I am with friends, I am social, but when I am around new people, im super shy. It's something I need to work on.

Years
  • I like avoiding social situations. I can talk if I have to, but usually I'm just observing the situation instead of actually talking to people. I also have some minor xenophobia (not as in "your skin has a different color than mine so I hate you, haha", it's more like I hate talking to or telephoning with random strangers), which doesn't help.
    Hell, even on the internet I usually prefer lurking, even if my 1000-something postcount tells otherwise... then again, it's not that much, average at most

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    In school, I wasn't anti-social. I wasn't mute. I wasn't shy. I was just quiet. I barely spoke to anyone during class, unless they spoke to me. I was there for the education, and got out as soon as I was permitted. I socialized when socialization was expected; in the halls, between classes, after school, at lockers, etc. and my extended communication was limited to people I were friends with.

I highly disagree that you can't make it far in life without strong social skills. You can't make it far in life without an education, point blank.

We had a program like this in our school for incoming freshman. We had it every month, during a gym period. It was stupid. I felt like I was in Kindergarden again, and I barely took the session at all seriously. Social skills are developed early on in life. No matter what you do later, you usually can't change their habits. Social skills aren't exactly something you can learn. It's something you pick up, and develop as an individually based on your past experiences.

Years
  • My social skills are so lacking at points, sometimes I feel like I grew up under a rock.

It's just... it's not that I didn't have ample opportunity to socialize, both as a kid and as an adult. I went to school, I have a job. It's just that most of the time, I kept to myself. I get along with people fairly well, but I still don't feel like I picked up on that many social cues as a kid.

Greatest example: I didn't realize I was supposed to look people in the eyes until I started working my first job, where my stepbrother goes "you need to look customers int he eye when you're talking to them". I just... no one ever told me I was supposed to and I never realized. Do you know how hard it is to stare people at the face after 18/19 years of not? Even at work when I try to remember, 9 times out of 10 I still forget.

I can also sound a bit snappy at times when I don't mean to. :( I always feel bad because I bet customers can tell I'm irritated when I'm not, not at them, anyway...

Ayselipera

I can be shy around new people, but that's fairly common. I tend to talk to everyone and anyone. Even those who everyone else will deem as weird. I just enjoy getting to know everyone and I rather not miss out on getting to know someone. As far as I know I'm really well liked and known so I guess I have good social skills. For some odd reason though I tend to be extremely shy online. :(

As much as I enjoy talking to people I also really enjoy time to myself, so I can go for days without any out of the family social interaction. Well, that is when I don't have school for a long period of time. When I have school regularly I obviously talk to everyone and not just sit the corner. I mean more like during vacations and the summer time I'll often ignore my friends for days at a time and just hang out at home myself. I guess I'm a homebody.

Back