• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Silly thoughts/misconceptions you had about Pokemon

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • I've little doubt that people had some strange ideas about how Pokemon stuff worked when they first played as a kid - say how to get a specific Pokemon or what evolved into what, or even how stats worked. For instance I though special attack/defense was about how likely non-damaging moves would work...and then later on due to what someone said that the Attack stat was only for normal-type moves back in 2nd gen. XD

So what about you? Did you say believe in say the Mew-under-a-truck in RBY rumour or something from other canons (like the anime) was in the games or the such?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • Well yeah; I've had tons of evolution misconceptions myself. =<

For instance -- I thought Electabuzz evolved into Zapdos., Jynx evolved to Articuno, and Magmar evolved to Moltres... o3o' Of course, that was before I realized the concept of "legendary pokemon". D; Stat wise, I thought that the "special stat" was just...how special a pokemon was, lol.

As for the Mew-under-a-truck in RBY rumour thing, I diiiiiid, because my friends suckered me to believe it. =3=; WORST. YEAR. WASTED.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • The year Red/Blue came out here, I saw a magazine ad for the games. It was a picture of a bunch of pokemon standing under a giant butterfly net simply captioned, "Got ya!" Also, due to the positioning of the geodude in the picture, it looked like it was holding the net. This led me to believe the the game was some kind of action game in which a boulderlike hero, "PokeMan" was out to entrap and kill the array of cute and furry creatures seen in the ad. XD

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
  • I thought that Eevee evolves to Flareon and Flareon evolves to Jolteon and Jolteon evolves to Vaporeon.

Thought that Dragonite had nothing to do with Dragonair.

Thought that the English names of Pokemon are the same as their Japanese names.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    Back in the days of Pokemon Red I thought nuggets helped pokemon in some way. I also thought bulbasaur, charmander and squirtle were catchable somewhere in the game lol.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • -I thought Hitmonlee evolved into Hitmonchan
    -I thought that Remoraid didn't evolve into Octillery
    -I thought that if the Mossdeep Space Center reached its 100th launch, then I can catch Jirachi.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    I always thought ash's Pikachu was a girl till recently.
    I only thought they were 8 gyms per region obviously i found out recently were proffesior oak says " ash you have 8 gym badges and gary you have 10 ".

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • -I thought that Remoraid didn't evolve into Octillery
    -I thought that if the Mossdeep Space Center reached its 100th launch, then I can catch Jirachi.
    Those were the same case for me - I went for ages in Silver without Octillery assuming it was in Gold or something because I never though it evolved from Remoraid. But then again that's not the only weird thing about Octillery anyways. XD

I did think that the space centre would have had some point to it - maybe not Jirachi per say but they way the guy went on about the number of rocket launches I thought there would be something to do with that. And then later I realised it had to do with the number of weeks played. XD

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    In the games, RSE to be exact, I always thought that rock in Mossdeep City is related to catching Deoxys. And I've always thought that you only need to train your starter Pokemon, and you can just catch others and leave them untrained. xD

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I can remember NOT believing the Mew glitch when people told me about in RBY - not the truck one, but the Viridian City/Fly to Cinnibar Island one. It was only eyars later, when I'd long forgotten about the darn critter that I read a walkthrough, with screengrabs that not only was it true, but that I could have exploited it if I'd had the chance! Normally, I'm too gullible for my own good apart from the times when I'm not.

Smooky

You blinked, didn't you?
    Years
  • In G/S/C, I used to think Eggs hatched faster if you put them in a party slot between two Pokemon, who kept the egg "warm".

Now we have Flame Body though, so its like my idea came semi-true.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I used to believe in most every rumor I heard, no matter how ridiculous it was: Mew under truck, Space Center, I always thought there was something important about the white rock, and any other rumors.

But don't you find it weird how R/S/E had all of these somewhat interesting things, but never made much any use of them?

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
  • I used to think Posion was super effective to Fighting. I mean really, if you think about it, it makes sense-If a fighter's poisoned, he can't fight at all.

I also used to think you could drive the truck in R/B/Y.

The_Noob

Banned
    Years
  • The year Red/Blue came out here, I saw a magazine ad for the games. It was a picture of a bunch of pokemon standing under a giant butterfly net simply captioned, "Got ya!" Also, due to the positioning of the geodude in the picture, it looked like it was holding the net. This led me to believe the the game was some kind of action game in which a boulderlike hero, "PokeMan" was out to entrap and kill the array of cute and furry creatures seen in the ad. XD

That would be one badass game. A testicle with arms catching butterflies and then smashing their brains out.

Also, when I got my first game (Pearl) I thought Backlot was hiding another reigon in his mansion, the part guarded by his maids.

And, since I had been out of the series for so long (having only known it for the cartoon I saw as a child and the cards I loved collecting), I thought the games were based off those. Oh how foolish of me.

So, technically, I'm a newfag and an oldfag, as far as this series goes.

Noob out.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I've little doubt that people had some strange ideas about how Pokemon stuff worked when they first played as a kid - say how to get a specific Pokemon or what evolved into what, or even how stats worked.

So what about you? Did you say believe in say the Mew-under-a-truck in RBY rumour or something from other canons (like the anime) was in the games or the such?

Well yeah; I've had tons of evolution misconceptions myself. =<

For instance -- I thought Electabuzz evolved into Zapdos., Jynx evolved to Articuno, and Magmar evolved to Moltres... o3o' Of course, that was before I realized the concept of "legendary pokemon". D; Stat wise, I thought that the "special stat" was just...how special a pokemon was, lol.

As for the Mew-under-a-truck in RBY rumour thing, I diiiiiid, because my friends suckered me to believe it. =3=; WORST. YEAR. WASTED.

LOL...those evolution misconceptions sound so weird...humanshapes evolving into birds? XD

The year Red/Blue came out here, I saw a magazine ad for the games. It was a picture of a bunch of pokemon standing under a giant butterfly net simply captioned, "Got ya!" Also, due to the positioning of the geodude in the picture, it looked like it was holding the net. This led me to believe the the game was some kind of action game in which a boulderlike hero, "PokeMan" was out to entrap and kill the array of cute and furry creatures seen in the ad. XD

Now that is really out there. XD

In the games, RSE to be exact, I always thought that rock in Mossdeep City is related to catching Deoxys. And I've always thought that you only need to train your starter Pokemon, and you can just catch others and leave them untrained. xD

I know, right? It would make so much sense if Deoxys weren't an event Pokemon that was restricted to Birth Island!

LOL at the starter Pokemon bit.

I did think that the space centre would have had some point to it - maybe not Jirachi per say but they way the guy went on about the number of rocket launches I thought there would be something to do with that. And then later I realised it had to do with the number of weeks played. XD

This. I mean, any sort of "count" like that in a videogame has to mean something, amirite?

I used to think Posion was super effective to Fighting. I mean really, if you think about it, it makes sense-If a fighter's poisoned, he can't fight at all.

I also used to think you could drive the truck in R/B/Y.

Poison super-effective against Fighting? Makes a lot of sense when you put it that way...

I used to think that the Steel-type was resistant against Water-types...surprisingly, Water hits Steel for neutral (1x) damage...

LOL at the truck thing.

That would be one badass game. A testicle with arms catching butterflies and then smashing their brains out.

And, since I had been out of the series for so long (having only known it for the cartoon I saw as a child and the cards I loved collecting), I thought the games were based off those. Oh how foolish of me.

LOL at that proposed game.

------------

I used to think that the Pokemon anime came first (before the Pokemon games) as well... >_>

Additionally, I used to think that (btw, my first Pokemon game was Sapphire...):

-Carvanha didn't evolve into Sharpedo.

-Sentret didn't evolve into Furret.

-Kingdra and Lugia were Kanto-native Pokemon.

-Wynaut and Azurill were Johto-native Pokemon.

-Girafarig and Skarmory were Hoenn-native Pokemon.

-Mew's Pokedex number came before Mewtwo.

-Pichu's name was based off of Machu Pichu (still plausible, IMO).

-Celebi was Bug/Grass (with Psychic-type capabilities) instead of Grass/Psychic.

-Swampert was merely a myth (I mean, come on! The only time I usually saw that thing was in Battle Tower runs in Sapphire Version, and none of my friends used one in Link Battles!).

-Groudon was a pure Fire-type (or possibly a dual-type Fire/Ground) rather than being a pure Ground-type.

-Whismur didn't evolve into Loudred.

-Volbeat evolved into Illumise (IIRC).

-Trapinch didn't evolve into Flygon.

-Shelgon evolved into Flygon.

-Flygon was a Generation 3 "pseudo-legendary" in addition to Salamence.

-Metagross wasn't a Generation 3 pseudo-legendary.

-Baltoy didn't evolve into Claydoll.

-Shuppet didn't evolve into Banette.

-Snorunt didn't evolve into Glalie.

-whenever you beat the Elite 4 and Champion for the first time in Ruby/Sapphire, Lati@s was programmed to appear in Route 101 if that was the first place you headed right after leaving your house after the Lati@s report broadcasted on TV.

-the nature of Rayquaza in Ruby/Sapphire would always match the nature of your version mascot.

-Rayquaza was weaker/valued less than Groudon and Kyogre, its brethren (a subjective/debatable opinion, today).

-Finneon/Lumineon was related to Eevee.

-Mesprit's name was Mespirit.

-Uxie's name was Uxle (an L instead of an I. And I'm still nicknaming my Uxie as Uxle).

-Giratina was some Pokemon related to Cresselia in image.

-Cresselia was the purported "Sky's Bouquet" of Giratina and the Sky Warrior.

-Torkoal could learn Blast Burn.

-Darkrai was the third counterpart (the "Rayquaza") of Dialga and Palkia

-Gigalith lacked pre-evolutions.

-Solosis's English name on the rumored prerelease list was "Monosis".

-Either Tynamo or Tympole was nonexistent and everyone just kept confusing the names (turns out BOTH Pokemon exist with each name).

-Fraxure was not in the Haxorus line.

-Voltolos/Thundurus was supposed to be the "odd one out" in the kami trio, not Landlos/Landorus. (because I was thinking of an heaven-earth pairing with superflous lightning, rather than a thunder-wind/sky pairing with superfluous earth/fertility)

-in the Lilycove Contest Hall, when you went and explored the Contest Rooms, the golden-yellow frames on the back wall were alternative locations for all those Contest paintings you can receive for the Lilycove Art Museum.

-Winona's yellow pant cinctures/rings were actually her showing off some skin. >_> Hey, her game sprite suggests this, OK? The "ring" distinction is pretty clear in the anime, though...
    SpriteWinona.png

-Glacia was way younger than her Sugimori art suggests.

-Crasher Wake was...not a heavyset luchador. XD I can't exactly describe what I thought he would be; I just felt that anyone with Crasher Wake as a name would be a very mysterious and cool entity...

-Lucian was the first Sinnoh Elite 4 member, and Byron was the 8th Sinnoh Gym Leader.

-A friend told me that the lady who provides access to the Mt. Chimney Cable Car had the potential to sporadically pop up in the Cable Car ride cutscene. >_> (surprisingly, you can actually see overworld Camper/Picnicker sprites on occasion in that cutscene!!)

-The same friend from the above misconception also told me that in Ruby Version, if you take too long in the overworld when Groudon's "regionwide" Drought is occuring (when this music is playing), the game will say that your character fainted from the heat.

-The same friend told me that if you put two GameBoy Advance SPs back-to-back, with the cartridges facing you, and if you line up those hollowed-out square things next to the link cable ports on the back of the GameBoy Advance SP, then you could activate the Mystery Events feature. This one was probably the one I thought was real, since we couldn't really disprove how to activate Mystery Events...

-Another friend told me that if you nickname your Blaziken "PHOENIX" in Ruby/Sapphire, then he'll receive boosts to his stats when you fight in the Battle Tower. I actually tried it, but quickly changed the nickname afterwards...

-In RSE, you had to water your Berry Trees an insane amount of time (think like 5-10 minutes straight) to yield a good amount of Berries. Apparently, you have to water them once per stage. I wasted so much time on this before I learned the actual mechanics. >_>

-If the overworld is displaying rain plus lightning on Hoenn Route 120, you have a much higher chance of encountering Feebas.

-Missingno. could be still encountered in FireRed/LeafGreen in the exact same manner as RBY if you Surfed near Cinnabar Island on the right side. Honestly, if the truck can stay, they should have preserved this encounter as well, but in a non-game-damaging way. XD

-You'd actually get something besides a Victory Ribbon for exceeding 57 wins in Emerald's Multi Battles (What a ripoff! If I have to tag team with the semi-lousy computer that much, can't I receive something for my efforts? T_T)

-Jessie and James appeared with Meowth in FireRed/LeafGreen.

-Pokemon Green Version never existed.

-that darn man with the Machop in Vermillion City would actually build something on that lot of land.

-if you waited, you could somehow actually buy that Bicycle being sold for $1,000,000 in Cerulean City, rather than using the Bike Voucher.

-the SS Anne would actually return to Vermillion Port in FireRed/LeafGreen. T_T

-mashing buttons during Poke Ball-throwing did something

My GOSH...I feel like such a n00b. XD And honestly, if that stupid "event Pokemon" feature wasn't instituted, using Strength on the truck that's within SS Anne's proximity in Vermilion City would have been a perfect way to encounter Mew in-game. Even with that method, Mew has the potential to be LOST FOREVER!!! if you don't know about the truck (which fits with the obtainability of typical event Pokemon, not to mention Mew's extreme rarity in the games and anime. ;))

Last edited:

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Once i though that electric is weak to fighting type, Dunsparce can evolve to some uber hax dragon pokemon, catch pokemon easier if you mash a/b button, and ragecandy bar would decrease the level of your pokemon.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    I thought attack and defense were based on STAB types and special attack and special defense were based on other types.

I also thought that saying "Gotcha!" while mashing buttons increased the catch rate. Gamefaqs >_<

Back