• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

May the Fourth Be With You...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Yes, I know this title will be obsolete in 24 hours D;

So, I want to make a confession. I hadn't seen Star Wars until about a month ago.

-pause for sounds of shock-

Finally my friends sat me down and had me watch the original trilogy one night. Nearly the entire time, they also discussed their original opinions on it, back when they saw it as children - all the toys they had, what they thought was cool, the parts they questioned, how it's different now. Meanwhile, I had nothing to say because, well...I had no memories of it.

When did you first see Star Wars?

What's your favorite memory relating to it?

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • I still haven't seen Star Wars, science fiction doesn't really appeal to me.

I am kinda wondering though, what are your opinions on it, Toujours?

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • When did you first see Star Wars?

I first seen Star Wars when I was 6, my dad introduced me to the original trilogy and if I'm honest, I fell asleep because I was bored. Then a couple of years later--just before Episode 1 came out--I watched them again and I loved them.

Many people don't like Episode 1, I don't either... But back when I was really young I loved it. My favourite memory was opening packets of crisps just to try and find little Toy Jar Jar Binks Heads that had stretchy, sticky tongues haha.
    Seen Here:
    Spoiler:

I am kinda wondering though, what are your opinions on it, Toujours?

I'd like to know too. :)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'm not a big movie fan myself, so to me it was just...another movie XD It wasn't bad, just didn't strike me as "ohmygodsoamazing", probably because I have no nostalgia related to it. I can easily see how it would excite a kid, therefore an adult that remembers that excitement. Maybe if I was more enthusiastic about movies in general I would be more enthusiastic about Star Wars. XD

I do like that I can laugh at jokes relating to it without people telling me "Why are you laughing, you haven't seen Star Wars!" now. :3

.Wolfie-kun.

The Raggedy Doctor
    Years
  • Ah Star Wars, such a great series. It sparked my interest in Sci-Fi films :3

Went to see Episode I with my dad way back when it was first released in the cinema, it completely blew my little mind away! (Was about 6 or 7 years old methinks)

The massive amount of publicity that the modern prequels got, I remember Episode I and III (Can't remember much Episode II promotion tbh) being promoted on the TV almost every ad break, and it would always hype me up.

Oh, and the Episode I PS1 game :P

My favourite has to be Episode III, I loved pre-burnt Darth Vader and his assault on the Jedi Temple.

I still like Episode I though

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
  • I haven't seen an entire Star Wars movie yet :P
    I've seen bits and pieces of them but never an entire movie.
    I tried to sit down one day and watch them, but I didn't really pay attention. I was playing a videogame, and the TV volume was low. I do remember one scene where an Ewok thing stole a Stormtroopers floating bike thing in some forest area, but that's all.

I actually do have a favorite memory relating to it, even though i've never seen a full movie. When I was a kid, I had lots of the Star Wars lego sets. I was big into Lego and building things, and I thought the Star Wars ones were cool. I mean, what kid wouldn't? Even if you hadn't seen the movie, there's no way you could pass up a Lego figure that comes with an awesome starship and a beam sword :D

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I've seen the original Star Wars (aka Episode IV), but that was during its 20th anniversary rerelease in 1997, and I really can't remember anything about it. There was a desert planet, and C3PO and R2D2 were there, and Darth Vader did some stuff, but it's all a big haze apart from that. For the other two films in the 'original' trilogy, I've definitely seen bits and pieces of both (the climactic battle in Empire Strikes Back and something to do with the Wookies in Return of the Jedi) but I honestly don't think I've seen all of them all the way through... which explains why I don't get most of the references in the two Family Guy Blue Harvest sequels! It probably sounds bad, but the only films I have clear memories of are the prequels. I can vividly remember Jar Jar Binks, and the showdown in Attack of the Clones, as well as Anakin Skywalker's final transformation into Darth Vader.

Having said all of this, I don't really have much love for any of the Star Wars franchise, to be honest. It's not that any of it's bad (although, and I was way too young when I was watching them, the first two prequels are supposed to be terrible), but I do have an inherent bias against sci-fi for some reason. If I had to have a favourite memory, I guess it would be the Wookies, as they're the ones I can remember the strongest... and they're cute bears and such! Can't go wrong with cute bears!

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • May The 4th Be With You

Yes, I know this title will be obsolete in 24 hours D;

So, I want to make a confession. I hadn't seen Star Wars until about a month ago.

-pause for sounds of shock-

Finally my friends sat me down and had me watch the original trilogy one night. Nearly the entire time, they also discussed their original opinions on it, back when they saw it as children - all the toys they had, what they thought was cool, the parts they questioned, how it's different now. Meanwhile, I had nothing to say because, well...I had no memories of it.

1. The first time that I ever saw a good portion of a Star Wars film was 2-3 years ago, IIRC. I know it was quite recent, though. It was the one with little Anakin Skywalker and the podracing (which appears to be Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace). I still haven't watched any of the other five movies, though.

2. Favorite memory relating to Star Wars? CONCRETE HUSTLE, YO. Yes, a fanmade project seems more memorable than the trilogies... I might change my stance once I actually see the other films, but right now that fanmade fight pretty much takes the cake. >_>

Recently, I delved into the issues of "Hans shot first" and "Star Wars holiday special", especially one of Harrison Ford's reactions to it. Lightsaber combat and the dual-bladed Lightsaber are also piquing my interest. I also remember as a kid all the news reports about how Revenge of the Sith was getting bootlegged like crazy, possibly worthy of the moniker "Attack of the Clones". >_>

I'm still mad that Luke, I Am Your Father got ruined/spoiled for me like ages ago, though, due to the immersion in popular culture. The ultimate example of that trope, and I just had to have it ruined! T_T Boo.

My favourite memory was opening packets of crisps just to try and find little Toy Jar Jar Binks Heads that had stretchy, sticky tongues haha.
    Seen Here:
    Spoiler:

WTF. 0_0

It's strange that most people here have only seen "bits and pieces" of Star Wars films...I thought that would be a rare status to have, and that most people would have fully seen all six films by now. Glad I'm not the only one as an "outlier". XD

Years
  • I like the Star Wars movies. I don't think they're the best movies ever and I must watch them everyday but they're pretty good.

I started at the end (well not the end in the actual movie timeline but whatever) with episode III. Everyone was excited about it so I decided I had to watch it and then I was introduced.

I must admit I don't like the older movies (as is the case with most things for me) as much as the newer trilogy.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Star Wars Episode 1 was my first SW movie that I saw. I was... 10 or 11? I would say it was my favorite out of all 6, since I loved Queen Amidala in the movie.

I was a fan of her that I became Queen Amidala for halloween one time.

Years
  • Once upon a time I was the biggest Star Wars nerd. Even now I think I can recite the original trilogy in its entirety, at least while I'm watching it. I know the names of minor characters who have only one line, the number of the trash compactor that Han, Luke and Leia fall into, how they made the sound effects for lightsabers, and so many other things. I had so many toys and books and things for it I should be embarrassed to show my face.

My first experience of it was when I was quite young and I don't really remember how old I was. My parents had Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi on VHS and I would watch them over and over when I got home from daycare. It took a long time for me to realize there was a whole movie I was missing.

My best memory of it was first meeting one of my longest lasting friends because he had some Star Wars drawings on his notebook. When I think about how these movies have really affected my life I'm not sure if that's really impressive or really sad and embarrassing.

If I had to have a favourite memory, I guess it would be the Wookies, as they're the ones I can remember the strongest... and they're cute bears and such! Can't go wrong with cute bears!
    Perhaps you mean Ewoks.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Self-proclaimed former Star Wars nerd as well. I first saw A New Hope when I was four, I must have watched each original trilogy film at least 10 times when I was little, probably more. Not such a big fan of the prequel trilogy, although I do enjoy sticking up for Phantom Menace, which I think is by far the best of the three.

And then the video games, old X-Wing games being some of the first games I ever played. Then my obsession with KotoR and Empire at War. Then I discovered the expanded universe; so it started getting really bad and I'd be annoying people with my recent discovery of the World Devastators or something similar. Not sure when I started calming down, I think when I was about 13/14 and I found new things to nerd over. So a good decade spent wasting my time on it.

My best memory would be discovering a Star Wars shop in town with my fellow Star Wars buddy, saving up pocket/birthday money for about a year and then spending around £200 between the two of us simply on toys. Crazy.

2,000th post about Star Wars, how fitting.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • I've seen the original 3 Star Wars movies about a bajillion times. When I was younger my relatively large family (about 9 aunts and uncles and about 20-30 first cousins [depending on what year it was]) would go to one of my aunts house and all the kids would be piled into the back den where there was a TV and large sectional sofa and we would play with toys or watch TV. A lot of times we would watch Star Wars. I couldn't tell you the first time I watched it but I can say for sure it was before I was 5 years old. It is one of my favorite older movies from my childhood and still one of my favorites today. I have the special edition DVDs that came out a few years ago and I go back and watch em every couple of months or so.

So, happy Star Wars Day everybody! May the Fourth be with you!!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Perhaps you mean Ewoks.

Spoiler:

Eep! Yes, indeed I meant Ewoks, and not Wookies. If you think about it, though, they do have remarkably similar names, and look sorta similar. But still, that's bad on my part... -_-

Years
  • Eep! Yes, indeed I meant Ewoks, and not Wookies. If you think about it, though, they do have remarkably similar names, and look sorta similar. But still, that's bad on my part... -_-
    There's a reason for that. The ewoks were originally going to be wookiees, but already having Chewbacca as a main character in the movies forced them to change plans so they cut the wookiees in half and made teddy bears instead. /nerding

Years
  • I grew up with Star Wars. I couldn't tell you when I first saw it; I've just always remembered it. I know for a fact my mom was always a fan, and I want to say my father was, too? For awhile watching the original trilogy on the weekend was tradition. :D I'm not as big of a fan now as I was as a kid, but I'd never say no to some Star Wars if it happened to come up. Even the prequels, which I don't like as much.

As for favorite Star Wars memory? Uhhhh, probably when we went to this one theater to watch the re-release of A New Hope back in the late 90s. It was like the biggest theater I had ever seen, with this screen that curved. I just remember being wowed by how awesome the place was. It was also a late showing so I fell asleep during it. XD In fact, I remember very fondly when the re-released the original movies. I was so excited because it was all shiny and updated and I could watch it on a big screen!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • The very first one I saw was Return of the Jedi. The original unaltered Return of the Jedi. It was the only one we had on VHS and I watched it a few times as a kid.

When the Special Editions were being released I borrowed my aunt's then-boyfriend's VHSs of the trilogy and decided to watch them to see if I wanted to go the theatre watch the new versions.

I didn't like them. Mostly because I wasn't paying attention. I was doing math homework or something at the same time and kept leaving the room.

I got the Special Edition VHS boxset for Christmas that year. I watched them all back-to-back and loved them.

I watched them all every year for a while up until the 2004 DVD release.

I didn't like the additional changes that they did on top of the Special Edition. And I hated that the colours were all wrong. Things were tinted, lightsabers were the wrong colour, lightsabers would bleed into each other. What happened?

That plus the lame-ass prequels made me lose interest for a while. Although I enjoyed the video games around this period, the Rogue Squadron games, Clone Wars, and Bounty Hunter.

Then I discovered fan edits a few years ago. They're just what I want. Star Wars the way it should be.

Preservations of the original unaltered trilogy, preservations of the special edition trilogy, edits of the DVDs and HD broadcasts to better match the OUT and the SET, etc. Fan Edits that put the '97 SEs to shame too.

It's a fascinating new dimension

NamelessGuy

<Insert Witty Title Here>
    Years
    My parents were avid Star Wars fans, so they always kept a boxed set of the original trilogy on hand. I first watched Episodes IV-VI with them when I was about four.

Probably the year after I watched the original trilogy for the first time, when the Phantom Menace came out. I begged my parents to go see it, and I enjoyed every minute of it. I was only five, but it's still nostalgic for me.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I remember first seeing Star Wars' 6th movie during my stay in the US. My fondest Star Wars-related memory is playing Star Wars - Racer Revenge almost every day.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    I probably say at least 15 years ago. I pretty sure it was Empire Strikes Back Episode V when it was being remastered before they made the Special Edition VHS set. I can just remember the Battle of Hoth and the AT-AT, and the duel at Bespin(Cloud City) between Luke and Vader where he proclaimed he was his father.

Probably all the hype up to Episode III Revenge of the Sith. It was crazy back in 06 with all the speculation going on. Everyone was wondering how Anakin would turn to the dark side and become Darth Vader. I remember one of my friends saying OMG I saw this preview were Anakin is Vader(with his armor) and he is in the wielding Dual Lightsabers. I was all "yeah right man that's so bs". And those were the kind of statements that built up the hype back then which was pretty exciting.

Back