• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

People are so quick to call troll nowadays

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    It seems people start accusing people of trolling whenever they are losing an argument, disagree with the person, or are just simply annoyed by the person. In order for someone to be considered a troll, I'm pretty sure they must be posting with the sole intent to cause havoc for teh lulz. I've seen this all over the internets, especially in YouTube comments.

Discuss.

P.S.
    Have you ever trolled before?
    I'll admit that I've trolled Yahoo! Answers and vandalized Wikipedia before.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • I feel like people play the "You're a troll" card way too often, when either someone just posts a separate opinion, or is arguing in a perfectly respectful manner. I will list a few conversations I've seen on Youtube comments, reddit, and so on.

Person 1: I don't support gay marriage because I think God intended marriage to be between a man and a woman. I am all for civil unions though!
    Person 2: thats so homophobic i cant believe you would say that i thought you were my friend
    Person 1: I just like tradition. I don't hate gay people, I view them as equals! I just don't think government should control a religious practice.
    Person 2: well your just a troll

---

Person 1: im not a fan of lady gaga now. her new music just isnt my style, i like more pop styled music.
    Person 2: stop trolling, dont watch the video if you dont like it.
    Person 1: i watched it to see if i would like it and i just wanted to state my opinion
    Person 2: troll
    Person 3: Stop trolling, you're not funny.
    Person 4: [censored] [censored] troll!
    Person 1: im sorry for having different opinions. :(

Those are the two best examples I could find. (Those are real conversations)

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    I used to, when I was 15, insecure, and isolated, and had nothing better to do. Now I see it as an immature waste of time, although the rare clever & intelligent troll can be entertaining. Very very rarely are YouTube comments worth reading. If I want trash and idiot drivel, /b/ is always there.

Masqueraine

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2011
    People call troll because it's usually easier than admitting they're wrong, and I can confidently say that I've never trolled. I have no problem with it but I've never purposefully sought out to provoke somebody, whether or not I've done that under my own volition however is a different matter..

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I've never trolled nor have had a person online (or in rl for that matter) called me one...but I have seen conversations where people pull out the troll card out...it get's really annoying that people who can't come up with anything else to add to the debate call one a Racist, Sexist, troll, ect. even when they clearly aren't...

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
  • People are considered a troll when obvious common sense outweights the responses of the person replying.

When someone just HONESTLY doesn't understand something to the point that a 3 year old can understand, and they continue with the same argument or point, they MUST be a troll. Either that or they're mentally retarded in some fashion. And since it's the internet and we don't know a person's backward and mental nature, or we have better expectations for that person, we come to the nicer and jestful conclusion that they are, in fact, a troll... Repeating the same points just to cause a reaction, when they know full well that what they're saying is not appropriate and/or wrong.

Exploding Bunny

Dovahkiin
    Years
    • She Her
    • Seen Aug 17, 2023
    Oh-em-gee troll! just kidding but yes people a quick to accuse of trolling very fast, I know when someones trolling, and it only seems to really happen on chan.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Why would anyone troll 4chan? That's pretty much what the entire site consists of, so there's no point.

I thinkthere's a difference between trolls and bad trolls, though. Some trolls just aim to annoy others, while others seek to maliciously harm others. I've never taken part that kind of trolling.

And no, no matter how nonsensical somebody sounds; if they aren't purposefully trying to upset otheres, they're not trolling.

Years
  • I think people are to quick to shout troll because they havn't really been trolled. People most of the time see it as when someone is loosing an argument and the winning person takes pride in it, therefore making the looser angry. This isn't trolling its making fun of the fact your to dumb to win an argument, trolling is when you say something and someone says something out of context just to get a reaction. I have an example, but as usual trolls have there dirty mouths. So i'll just say that i pointed out that a guy was blatantly making 'facts' up about a pokemon episode on youtube, a troll then popped up and told a story where i somehow manage to get aids and rape my sister -.- that is what trolling is because its suppose to bring out a reaction.
    Well anyway, I'm just babbling on now so I'll stop there seeing as i've said my side x]

Years

• You might want to reconsider, because if I catch you, you're banned. :)

Challenge accepted >=D

It's really interesting being on different forums, and seeing how people troll on them. DGz is another forum I go on and it's pretty much a free for all troll fest, which can be very intriguing at times as lots of crazy stuff goes down. I've been suspended once for pwning a member and almost banned for trolling the majority of the site another time. I'm a bit of a daredevil, living forum life on the edge - makes my blood pump ya know?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Yeah, trolling has sort of hit a fad now where it's quicker to use the term and it has become more generalized.

And yes, I have trolled this very website and got permabanned for it. I've also trolled several other forums with buddies. It was fun. I recommend it.

Years
  • Never trolled, nor will I ever troll.

1. You try being a Forum Administrator and see how you like some idiot coming onto your forum trying to cause all sorts of problems. It's hard enough keeping a forum atmoshpere happy even without the trolls.

2. Why on earth would I want to? I've got better things to do, such as having actual conversations. I'm not in school anymore and my "trolling" days finished long before I finished school.

IMO its just plain old pathetic.

People do seem to play the troll card a lot, saves coming up with an apology or decent arguement.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I've never trolled, I don't see the fun in it. There are no lols. If you want to be funny, actually be funny. Trolling is just silly and makes people sigh more than it makes them laugh.

But people do call troll way too often over silly little things, as Landorus said.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • Fun Fact: Yesterday my grandma said that "I feel like I'm such a troll today" admittedly she was talking about her hair and how it turned out all curly and spiky at the same time and hell the word is a rather common one to use over here /ramble

Then again, if people call 'troll' all the time they are bound to eventually get to the point where people start ignoring them in conversations, right? I don't really see the harm, seems counterproductive to me.

I view trolling similar to irony, to be honest - don't use it versus people that are unable to get it, especially children. It is more fun if you've got yourself a feisty challenge :)

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • People call troll because they get tired of trying to tell the difference between someone deliberately sounding obnoxious or dumb and someone actually being obnoxious or dumb.

It's really that simple. They have too hard a time telling, which makes sense because as we all know, trolls like you to believe they aren't trolling and are just obnoxious/dumb. I know that's generally when I call troll. When someone's just driving me nuts and I'm fed up with it. I'll often make a comment about not being able to tell if they're trolling or not (I'm so subtle) followed by impending comment about having ceased to be willing to tolerate it either way followed closely by a block. (Or the closest equivalent.)

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • People call troll because they get tired of trying to tell the difference between someone deliberately sounding obnoxious or dumb and someone actually being obnoxious or dumb.

It's really that simple. They have too hard a time telling, which makes sense because as we all know, trolls like you to believe they aren't trolling and are just obnoxious/dumb. I know that's generally when I call troll. When someone's just driving me nuts and I'm fed up with it. I'll often make a comment about not being able to tell if they're trolling or not (I'm so subtle) followed by impending comment about having ceased to be willing to tolerate it either way followed closely by a block. (Or the closest equivalent.)

Ok, now there really isn't too much of a difference between "Being obnoxious" and "Acting obnoxious". Obnoxious is obnoxious no matter if you're playing or not. Playing dumb has nothing to do with it either.

Trolls simply do whatever it is they can to push your buttons.

I do agree however...that your way of handling people that piss you off is the best way. That's all one can do, is detect early when someone IS trolling and prevent them from doing damage. Persistent trolling any one person isn't trolling, it's bullying...and that's not cool either. It should be treated like trolling by anyone else anyway.

HOWEVER, I've been on the flipside. I've been accused of trolling even though I'm "Winning" in all logical respects. Calling troll is typically the most cowardly and immature thing to do if you just can't win an argument online, because if neither side concedes to the other side then it's not "Winning". Silence isn't conceding either, it's a refusal to argue further and constitutes a losing tie. Compromising isn't a win for one side either, it's a tie. Most often nobody wins an argument.

Arguments have 3 different outcomes:
    Agreement - One side becomes universally accepted and verbally acknowledged by both arguers. This is the only time anyone "Wins" and it's poor sport to take that from anyone because winning is RARE when the argument really honestly matters in the grand scheme of things, and it's petty to take it away from them even if it's small, it shows immaturity. It's also poor form and the mark of the troll to gloat to the loser about winning. Don't push your luck. Recognize that it took the loser as much intelligence as it took you to win, and courage to admit they lost, that battle is one of wits and guts against one's own emotions.
    Compromise - A mix of both sides is agreed upon. This is NOT WINNING. It's a tie, and a most peaceful one. Both sides deserve a pat on the back for compromising but no one gets bragging rights...bragging about a compromise every time you get one can establish someone as a troll.
    Stalemate - One side has tired of the argument. This is NOT WINNING. You both lose. Obviously emotions were allowed to run too high, and the fact that one side realized they were judgmentally compromised too much to continue is the only thing to be mildly praised. Calling yourself a winner DEFINITELY marks you as a troll, doesn't matter if you were the one who forcibly ended the argument by ceasing communication or not...you didn't win. Everybody loses. No one convinced anyone, and enemies were possibly made.

Calling someone a "Troll" is...a fail attempt at making it look like you win by unmasking assumed intent to get you worked up for their own gain, be it to cause chaos for laughs or any other evil selfish intent. People argue and disagree. This is a fact of life, and it's no different online. If you call someone a troll without being able to prove it to a fair minded third party who has no favoring of either side be they a completely random person or a close friend to both participants of the argument who can be agreed upon by both arguers to be trusted not to, and wouldn't, take a side anyway then you automatically lose. If no fair arbiter can second your claim after seeing the argument, then you can't call someone a troll. You lose if you do.

Do I troll? Not beyond common tolerance, and only people I know well enough to feel no worse than "OHHHH! YOU GOT ME! LOLOLOLOL" *Target proceeds to laugh at their own lapse, unoffended, trolling stops* This is usually not even trolling, it's being silly which is completely different...at least unless you cross a line by accident. Then you apologize and move on, or just move on. No one is perfect.

Do I troll back? Hell yes I do! I'm human, and I can only tolerate so much. Usually being blocked by me is your first sign to stop pissing me off, and I won't escalate it past that point...unless you just totally make an ass of yourself when I unblock you and try to work things out...then you get re-blocked and trolled if you try to mess with me again through the wall. If I'm ignoring you, I'm not totally deaf to what you post in public so watch what you say.

Do I like to troll? No. Not really. If I must troll you, it's to get you to be annoyed enough to shut up, ignore me, and let me be. I don't have to like you, and we don't have to get along we just need to be civil, and if that requires not talking at all to each other and enforcing that, then so it shall be done. If I can get you to shut up and ignore me without trolling I will. Fortunately I don't usually have this problem on PC. The staff here is typically fair; if they weren't I'd have left already.

@Landorus: That's a set of either idiots who lose and can't stop (one type of troll, the least guilty kind usually) or they were trolling you because your opinion differs, (worse kind of troll). I'm going to say that's the latter.

A troll's best way to survive is to play "Werewolf" and get people to lynch the wrong person. Keep this in mind.

Last edited:

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • Trolling is an art. If drawing is fine, why isn't trolling? Hell, I used to join certain forums just so I could troll them. And some forums I just trolled because I was bored. Like when I posted a thread asking for Zoroark when it was first revealed and my 1337 clan on PE2K. :P
    And when I joined in with a giant flame war against a forum who wanted to hack PC. Oh and I used to piss off all of the mods at PHO because they didn't chose staff fairly, I didn't get on with the admin and certain members got away with things all of the time. But yeah all that's in the past I'm a good boy now.
    The point is...TROLLING FTW! :D

Last edited:
    Back