• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen When "Critical Capture" is actually critical...

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ok, so we all know what Critical Capture is, right? Weird noise, lower-than-normal-angle poké ball throw, only one shake and it's done capturing that everyone says never fails.

Well, firstly I've seen it fail - poké ball on Reshiram made the critical capture noise, did one shake and Reshiram escaped.

I've also noticed how it comes at times when it's unneeded, i.e. when capturing a Pidove. I'm sure this has definitely affected you all.

What I want to know is: Have there been times where you've been in desperate need of a Critical Capture, and if so, did it come, and did it work?

I'll give my own story (The main reason for this thread :P):

I was in the Dreamyard, catching the rare Friday Musharna with my Emboar. He used Flamethrower, and it went down to just above 50% health. This was fine. However, when I used Flamethrower again, Musharna was burned, and the burn damage nearly KO'd it! So, obviously I was thinking "I need a critical capture or something...it's going to faint and I forgot to save...", and what happened? Critical Capture, so yet another high-level pokémon caught in ordinary Poké Balls for me :D

So, yeah, discuss your crit. captures guys!

EDIT: I looked at its' summary, and it's got a Quiet nature, which is pretty damn nifty, so it's now my sixth team member!

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I've never even had one, and likely never will have one since I'm not playing the game very much at all any more. very annoying as I have needed it many times, but never came to me. Do we know the actual chances of it happening yet?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    From my experience, it's about the same as a critical hit, although it seems less as you have more battles, and therefore more opportunities for critical hits, than you do captures.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I had one when I was running out of Pokeballs and trying to capture the grass Musketeer who was at low health but wouldn't go in so it was helpful for me but most of the time it's come for small poke's but I'm always low on balls so I appreciate them.

Ezio - X

Master Fire Veteran
    Years
  • I spent ages trying to capture a Kyurum with no critical captures. I finally used a timer ball. About 1 hour later I caught a patrat for a crap trade and guess what.......CRITICAL CAPTURE!

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

and what happened? Critical Capture, so yet another high-level pokémon caught in ordinary Poké Balls for me :D

You dont really need crit capture to catch pkm like that just get it 2 1 HP and i got it on my first pokeball.

Ive got 2 but they were just when i was catching like lvl 10 pokemon.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I love critical captures, though most of the time I don't actually notice when they occur. XD

My first critical capture was with a Shelmet in Icirrus, which... I named Critical! I've had about three or four since then, though. I know one time, the night before, I actually dreamed of getting a critical capture and then the next day I did actually get one, so that's kinda good timing, lol.

Tbh, I wish critical captures were around from the start of Pokemon, it makes catching Pokemon seem that much more exciting knowing that there's a chance of that. :D

IanDonyer

Time to kick ass? Definitely.
    Years
  • Ah, I remember when I was browsing SPPf and first read about critical captures. Serebii screwed up and said the down + A trick now worked in B/W, and I freaked the hell out.

Ahahaha, memories.

Anyways, I've always wanted to see myself do a critical capture. However, since I don't capture anything I don't want on my in-game team, I rarely even try to capture Pokemon, only further decreasing my chances. Wish I had a story to tell, but I don't.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I've had two critical captures, but neither of them worked. Sucks the few times it can happen, and I get the rare dud of the bunch.

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    The one critical capture I can remember actually working was on a Herdier, so I can hardly call it 'critical'. O.o

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
  • I only pulled off one Critical Capture in my run. xD;
    And that was on a Seviper, which is post-game. :U
    I didn't really need it, I was just catching anything I could find, and I happened to get a Critical.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • I feel left out as my play time is over 100 hours now, I've caught maybe 113 Pokemon and not once have I experienced this Critical Capture you guys are talking about. :|
    So unfair haha.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    I've only experience a critical capture around 7 times.
    In fact, that's how I caught the dreamyard Musharna.

Too bad it didn't happen when I was trying to catch Kyurem >>

Jesspke

Passerby~
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2016
    Catching Litwick, wondering what a critical capture is like.
    Weird noise. One shake in mid air. *Click*
    "Ooohhh..."

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2011
    I've actually had it happen a few times, but I didn't know it was called a critical capture. I didn't notice the noise either. The one time I clearly remember it happening is I poisoned a pokemon and I threw a pokeball and it only shook once. I think it was a sewaddle or something. Nothing big. Though I will definitely keep an eye out for it happening now. :)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I've probably had it happen to me a few times, but I've never noticed it... I rarely pay attention to how the whole Poke Ball throwing thing plays out, I just listen for either the click or the stupid thing breaking out.

Zhinc

a Dark-type trainer
    Years
  • Well, it wasn't a particularly rare Pokemon, but the one I caught was sure being a pain: a Jigglypuff. She was really low and health and just wouldn't stay in anything I threw at her. But I just kept chucking balls, closing my eyes every time, waiting for when she'd break out. Only, this time, the ball only shook once. And then I remembered that I'd heard the little noise before she went into the ball. I was so happy. (:

I think I might have had another one the other day on something pretty worthless/not annoying, so I guess it's a mixed bag for me on whether or not it's actually 'critical' when it occurs.

Cid

Years
  • Agreed on having critical captures much earlier in the series. That way, legendaries and Skarmory alike will be easier to catch.

But in BW, I think I've never had a critical capture. Probably because I don't catch Pokemon that often. If I have, then I must have failed to notice it...since there really isn't much difference, and I'm not that good at sensing subtle hints. I haven't really felt the need for these instant captures so far, though, since I haven't encountered a single legendary yet.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I hadnt even heard of a critical capture before now >.< Don't think I've had one either - I tend to watch how many times the ball shakes like a hawk and I would have noticed if it had only done it once.

Back