• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What Hoenn Gym Leader, Elite Four Member, and Champion do you find annoying?

Which Hoenn Gym Leader, Elite Four, and Champion is annoying?

• Roxanne

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Brawly

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • Wattson

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Flannery

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • Norman

Votes: 34 24.8%
  • Winona

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • Tate and Liza

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • Juan

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Sidney

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Phoebe

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • Glacia

Votes: 14 10.2%
  • Drake

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • Wallace

Votes: 25 18.2%
  • Steven

Votes: 17 12.4%

• Total voters

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    What Gym Leader, Elite Four Member and Champion in Hoenn do you have trouble fighting against?

For me, the Hoenn Gym Leader that is annoying IMO has to be Norman. Norman is a pain in a neck to fight since he uses 2 Slakings (One on the Emerald version). If you have Rock or Steel type Pokemon, he shouldn't be tough to tackle. Other than that, he's really an annoying Gym Leader.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2020
    100% of the E4.I faced them over 30 times to Lv.Up my pokemon.and they don't lv.up themselves? >_>

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Brawly, mainly seeing as that his Makuhita abused Vital Throw and the level difference from Roxanne -> Brawly was barely noticeable.

In addition, Wallace was a joke as a Champion, but as a Gym Leader I'd say decent.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Brawly - Probably the hardest gym leader for me. The Makuhita + Bulk Up is a little much at the beginning, especially with such a crappy place to grind like Granite Cave. And I don't like leaving to head off to Slateport, cause then I'd feel bad. I've only done that twice, just because I was having THAT much trouble.

Tate and Liza - In my earlier years of RS, these two were a pain in the arse, especially if you chose Blaziken and it...happened to be more over level than the rest of your team.

Glacia - Walrein. Spheal with it.

(Champion) Wallace - dat milotic

PS: Wattson, not Watt. Would you like me to edit that for you?

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    @Sydian: Yes please, I accidentally said Watt when I meant Wattson. Got those 2 mixed up. Thanks!

Years
  • Tate and Liza. Everytime I restart my game, I ALWAYS have trouble with them, even when I take on different battle strategies. They always seem to compliment each other in battle such as the first Pokemon they send out is a Xatu and a Claydol (with a darn Earthquake). It took me 5 defeats and switching on-and-off before my Pelipper nabbed the annoying Lunatone with a Surf.

I had a grudge against Winona the first time I tried Emerald, cos I didn't know Altaria was part-Dragon and was immune to Electric. and it kept KO'ing my Manectric with Earthquakes. Brawly was a tough one and I managed by finally getting a Taillow. /shrugs

I find that the E4s are pretty easy as long as you've EV'd your Pokemon and grinded a while in VR. Steven is simply a giveaway, Steel type never favours speed. :P I honestly don't see a problem with Wallace's Milotic, it's only slightly powerful than Juan's (If you play Emerald, that is). Glacia ain't in my way cos my Walrein owns!! XD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I played Ruby, and I almost always had trouble with Winona, for some reason xD Sometimes Brawly as well, but usually I grinded my pokémon up until they could beat him.

For Elite 4, Sidney was a hard nut to crack, and Glacia seemed to always kill me ;_; Steven wasn't as hard as I thought he'd be.

Years
  • Wattson
    What Hoenn Gym Leader, Elite Four Member, and Champion do you find annoying?

I really, really hate Magnemites. Not solely because of him, but still.

Flannery, Norman and Phoebe are all quite a bit on the annoying side as well, but nowhere near as bad.

[...]I find that the E4s are pretty easy as long as you've EV'd your Pokemon and [...]
    >ingame
    >EV training

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Brawly - I gave up after 2 tries and went through Granite Cave without flash.
    I then forgot about him and realised that I forgot to battle him after I beat Wattson.

Tate & Liza - I don't remember much about battling them, but it involved lots of switching and healing items.

Drake for me....
    His Salamence and Flygon were murdering my Swampert....

You should've tought you Swampert Ice Beam.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, for gym leaders:

Brawly's not annoying though. He's just pretty tough. I can usually take out his Machop without taking too much damage, and his Meditite without taking any. But then Makuhita obliterates me. Usually my tactic has to involve good guesswork to get some stat boosts in whilst fighting Meditite. Which leads to many, many losses.

As for the Elite Four:

Phoebe, again, doesn't annoy me in herself. Her pokémon are pretty good, and I'm hoping in the re-makes she'll have a re-match team featuring Dusknoir, as it's like Dusclops but more damaging. She's also nicely sprited, and makes a change from the usual creepy Ghost-type users. What irritates me is the amount of PP I have remaining after the battle - Dusclops are durable and both have Pressure, Banette loves to use Grudge (one of them, that is. The other can't use it), and Sableye uses Double Team. This leads to the most important item to take on the Hoenn Elite Four being a Leppa Berry.

And Champions?

Definitely Wallace. Steven has extremely strong, high-levelled pokémon, and can only be battled once. He also battles alongside you. This therefore makes him cool. Wallace, however...whilst it's nice to have a connection between him and Juan, do we really need two flamboyant pretty-boys with water-types? His Ludicolo used to obliterate me, until I figured out that Flying-type moves were super-effective. Wailord is also tough, but only in that I usually rely on a super-powered Thunder to dispatch it, and if that misses, Water Spout is lethal. His Milotic is a good battler, and Whiscash is strong too. Tbh, all that really annoys me about his team is Tentacruel - we face them all the time, anyway. Gyarados is common, but powerful, unlike most encounterable Gyarados.

So, yeah, whilst none of them really annoy me, certain parts of the experience battling these three do frustrate me at times.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • None of the Gym leaders were really all that bad, except for Tate and Liza, but Glacia.... (shudders) I figured I could use my Gardevoir's Calm Mind and Thunderbolt to totally destroy it, but no. "Walrein used Sheer Cold!"
    Always ruins my whole plan, since I'm usually slightly underleveled by this point.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • Tate and Liza. They kepy using Earthquake against my pokemon, which were all weak to it.

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
    Years
  • None were actually difficult for me besides Drake, Wallace, and Steven, but Steven wasn't very difficult either, as I had a lvl 70 Blaziken with me, Double Kick + Sky Uppercut + Blaze Kick + Quick Attack = kill. ^^

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Norman's Slaking were tough to take down, but most annoying were Wallace/Juan with their constant spamming of Double Team. It's pretty easy to become the most annoying Gym Leader if you use the most annoying move in Pokemon.

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
    Years
  • Norman: His Slaking...wasn't hard to beat, but it was annoying. :<

Tate and Liza: It took me at least five tries to beat them. How fun.

Wallace: Beat him on the first try, but he totally killed my Revive/Full Restore supply.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I didnt find any Elite Four member difficult but I did find Norman an annoying gym leader because of his Slaking and myself not having any fighting type moves at the time

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    I have to say Norman. Apparently Tate and Liza are ridiculous in Emerald, but I have Ruby and Sapphire, so never fought anything but their Lunatone and Solrock, which aren't that tough against Surf.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    I had trouble against Brawly's Makuhita, Tate and Liza's Solrock & Lunatone and Wallace's Ludicolo. (He kept spamming Double Team. >_>)

Back