• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think movie tickets are expensive now?

Years
  • Explain.... Couple days ago I went to the amc discover mills theater near my home. It was about 3 minutes from my house. I went there and watched Green lantern. The movie was awesome but the time is too short and the money cost to much. Well the ticket here cost $11.00. That is insane. I was planning on watching transformers 3 today, but forget that. Let us know how much do you pay for your movie ticket and explain the type of movie? Before it was $8.00 dollars.

Years
  • Yeah, the AMC cinema near where I live charges $11 for movie tickets too. It's ridiculous, I don't blame people for pirating movies online. The local cinema in the main street of my town (the AMC cinema is a 25 minute drive away) doesn't show anywhere near as movies, nor is it open late, but it's a bit cheaper. Tickets were $7 last time I went there.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • The movie tickets are 100% expensive nowadays especially where I'm from which is New York City. In certain places in NYC sometimes tickets can average around $16.00 (such as places as Downtown Brooklyn and Manhattan). If you are paying this amount all the time, you can sometimes not be satisfied with the movie and when this happens to me, I usually think to myself that "I should have waited to it came out on DVD or got a Bootleg DVD".

:t354:TG

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Don't move to London. On average, I have to pay about £10 for a regular movie ticket, and on some screens it can be as high as £18 when you bring in stuff like 3D. And don't get me started on popcorn and refreshment prices... but I can understand that to a certain extent because most of the revenue from movie tickets goes to the film studios anyway.

Posting Binge: 7/40

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    It's like 8 bucks for a regular ticket, 12 for 3D, and 6 for a Sunday day time matinee. Pretty damn expensive. & When they roll out with that 4D(feeling too) then movie tickets are just going to be out of my price range.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Not for me I usually spend $5 dollars for a ticket, maybe 7-10 if it's 3D. $11 is not ridiculous, sure it might be around half the price as a DVD but the proceeds need to be split between theater, and the money that goes to everyone involved into the movie. If ticket prices are such a concern then wait till it comes out on DVD or Blueray.

Ayselipera

Yes they are way to expensive. Last time I went to the movies was about a month ago and after going to two theaters the price didn't differ much. One was $11.50 and the other was $10.50 which I find ridiculous on top of food and drink prices if you don't bring anything yourself.

I remember when I was younger the price was around $7.00, but I'm pretty sure the theaters around here at least have a different price for children's tickets compared to adults which would explain the rise in price recently.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    Yeah, I think they do cost a lot, but everything cost a lot now. Also, the movie theater food cost a lot.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • The theatre near me is now offering preferred seating where you pay a premium and get to select your seats beforehand. I still can't figure out why you would do that.

Anyway, yes the tickets are expensive. Used to be able to see the movie and get your snacks for the price of a ticket now.

And why are 3D movies more expensive? It's not for the glasses, because I don't get to keep those (technically). You're supposed to return them and then they recycle and reuse them. ...but since I paid for them, I just take them home even though I have no use for them.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I guess I'm just used to expensive ticket prices since I don't really bat an eye at paying $11 to see a movie. I've also accumulated so many gift cards and movie passes over the years that I can't actually remember the last time I paid for tickets. :P
    And why are 3D movies more expensive? It's not for the glasses, because I don't get to keep those (technically). You're supposed to return them and then they recycle and reuse them. ...but since I paid for them, I just take them home even though I have no use for them.
    Depends on the place, I think. Supposedly the extra charge is because making a movie in 3D, finalizing all the effects and all, is more expensive than making a normal movie. Same reason IMAX is more expensive than normal--the movie was more expensive to make. But since the theatres themselves have to pay for the glasses, I imagine some of the extra charge goes to them for the glasses. I'm not sure they're actually yours to keep. :P (And I think theatres actually have to install special screens or projectors to support 3D so maybe a bit of the fee goes to that too?) No sources for any of this, just picked up the information over the years in news articles and the like.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I guess I'm just used to expensive ticket prices since I don't really bat an eye at paying $11 to see a movie. I've also accumulated so many gift cards and movie passes over the years that I can't actually remember the last time I paid for tickets. :P

Depends on the place, I think. Supposedly the extra charge is because making a movie in 3D, finalizing all the effects and all, is more expensive than making a normal movie. Same reason IMAX is more expensive than normal--the movie was more expensive to make. But since the theatres themselves have to pay for the glasses, I imagine some of the extra charge goes to them for the glasses. I'm not sure they're actually yours to keep. :P (And I think theatres actually have to install special screens or projectors to support 3D so maybe a bit of the fee goes to that too?) No sources for any of this, just picked up the information over the years in news articles and the like.
    IMAX premium price I get. It's an entirely different screen and sound system.

3D, as far as I know, just requires a digital screen/projection set-up on the theatre's part. And, at least in our area, that's the bulk of it even for standard presentations.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • And why are 3D movies more expensive? It's not for the glasses, because I don't get to keep those (technically). You're supposed to return them and then they recycle and reuse them. ...but since I paid for them, I just take them home even though I have no use for them.
    For cinemas near me, it's partially because of the glasses - which you can keep and reuse, paying a slightly lower price for 3D films - but partially because the whole point of 3D films is that cinemas are ABLE to charge more. The justification is to do with projectors and a general ideology to subsidise the extra investment put in by the studios in making/converting the films to 3D in the first place.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    Tickets ARE expensive!! I hate it!!! It's sad to even think that the $5.00 tuesday morning things are even considered cheap! I mean, theres that cost plus the cost of other things if you even get them! Its crazy!

Back