• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ayurvedic Healing

Musician of Literature

La musica es la fuerza...
Years
  • Ok, I've been reading up on this new idea of quantum/Ayurvedic healing. I think it's pretty cool, it makes biological sense to me. If you have no idea what Ayurveda is, get Deepak Chopra's book Perfect Health.

So, I want to know what you think. Is it valid or not? Should a person doing it use massage oils or can they balance their doshas without it? etc, etc...

JimJams

Giggles at the Ghosties
    Years
  • Absolutely not. All you really had to say was 'quantum healing', 'doshas' and 'Deepak Chopra' to make me think that, but I'll elaborate...

Let's see. Deepak Chopra is the same man who believes that spitting out dirty water and washing your eyes with it can prevent and reverse cataracts. Now, that's clearly just going to hurt your eyes and cause infections. He also thinks that allergies are caused by poor digestion of all things, when we know that allergies are actually the result of overactive immune systems.
    Please be wary of any 'alternative' medicine. It could prove to be dangerous and is always ineffectual.

""By definition", I begin
    "Alternative Medicine", I continue
    "Has either not been proved to work,
    Or been proved not to work.
    You know what they call "alternative medicine"
    That's been proved to work?
    Medicine.""
    -Tim Minchin's poem Storm

This site has a list of casualties and deaths caused by alternative medicine and belief in the paranormal.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    This site has a list of casualties and deaths caused by alternative medicine and belief in the paranormal.

Funny, I didn't see much focus on the people killed by conventional drugs and surgery on that site. Not the point of the topic, but that's hardly a well-rounded source of information.

Doesn't mean that Deepak has any practical credibility. There's something to the idea of a life force in the body, probably only the placebo effect, that makes a difference when people tweak it and such. A mind is just a terrible thing to waste.

EDIT: wow, that was an awful post. Hopefully I've brought it to where people can understand it. O.o

Last edited:

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • You might want to note that Ayurvedic medicine is based on 5000 year old superstition rather than actual science. The idea being that all diseases are caused by an imbalance of the three doshas, Vata (air/space), Pitta (fire/water) and Kapha (earth/water). So if you go by the periodic table and consider oxygen, hydrogen, etc. elements rather than the classical fire, water, air, etc., then that kind of invalidates the entire thing.

Be wary because they're known for having poisonous heavy metals like lead, mercury and arsenic in them. Scientific studies have shown evidence against them working too.

Years
  • People are very quick to underestimate the mental aspect of healing and disease., as well as alternative forms of healing. Obviously, some forms of this have to have a slight air of truth to them, as you see some Indian holy men who practice similar beliefs - Yogis- that have lived to the age of 120 on average. And it's not a mere coincidence - there have been dozens of reports on the subject.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • As the quote from JimJams implies, if an alternative medicine starts to show evidence it works, it ceases to be alternative since the definition of 'alternative medicine' is 'no evidence that it works'. Some techniques have actually had this honour. e.g. some forms of chiropractic had this occur to them (although most forms of it have overwhelming evidence against; it's only specific forms) and is no longer considered alternative.

As for the Yogis thing. Definitely not average. I can't even find an example of any Yogi living that old. While some Yogis have lived to old age (the oldest I can find is 101), a lot don't too. Dozens of reports wouldn't be able to make 120 an average considering the millions of practicers through the years. Either way I don't think Yoga is really suppose to have a lot to do with medicine or living to an old age at all. The goal of Yoga being to find enlightenment. Yoga can have some health benefits though, as it's a form of exercise. It's not considered an alternative medicine.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Ayurveda is just another form of Humorism, and friend of Hippocratic Medicine--neither of which work. Of course, there may be benefits overall in following Ayurveda, since most of their treatments work on the chronic rather than the acute. That is, most of the treatment is regimen, moderation, purgation, etc., or other forms of somewhat beneficial practices that group together for a combined effect. It employs herbs and alternative medicines (much like ancient times; read Dioskourides' Materia Medica if you're interested), which carry beneficial effects but are ultimately less effective than new-age medicine (but also carry individual effects somewhat more potent / specialized as well).

If you're especially keen on following Ayurveda, I recommend that you eschew the spiritual aspects and follow strictly the regimen. Forget the alternative surgeries, exorcisms, aphrodisiacs, and anything that isn't purely physical. If you do this, it will improve your health, but only because you're following a healthier lifestyle, not because Ayurveda is changing it. Never resort to Ayurveda for acute illnesses, and never expect a reliable answer in it for chronic illnesses.

Gymnotide, master of Ancient Medicine <3

Back