• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Oxygen discovered in Space

Years
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14372708

While single atoms of oxygen have been found alone or incorporated into other molecules, the oxygen molecule - the one we breathe - had never been seen.
    The Herschel space telescope spotted the molecules in a star-forming region in the constellation of Orion.
    The find will be published in the Astrophysical Journal.
    Oxygen is the third most abundant element in the cosmos, after hydrogen and helium. Its molecular form, with two atoms joined by a double bond, makes life on Earth possible - but this form had never definitively been seen in space.
    Just an interesting tidbit. Another discovery hinting towards the possibility that our world may not be unique, after all.

Discuss.

Zet

Years
  • And only a short while ago, water was found in space 12 billion light years away which may have made up the water on this very planet.

Well since oxygen has been found is space, looks like we won't have to worry about overcrowding on Earth any more. Once we can find a way to use it that is to say.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I really believe that there is life out there in the universe.

Years
  • I remembered reading somewhere in the news long time ago that they said that Mars used to have lakes of water. So I guess there's more things piling up to show that there may be other planets out there with perhaps a living species like how we humans are. Though the thought of Martians freak me out. >_>

Back