• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Telling a child the truth.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2011
    During my upbringing, I had a few complaints about the way my parents raised me, but I liked their handling of information. They did not give me a philosophical or ideological agenda, they simply answered the questions I asked, without restricting me from any information.

The general question is; how much children be told the truth? Is it ever the right thing to lie to a child? Is it right thing to withhold the truth from a child, without outright lying? Should the information a child can access on its own be restricted? Is there a specific age for a child to hear the truth or be able to fathom it?

I'm going to make the radical proposal that a child should receive any and all information that it inquires for, as accurately as it can be done. Keeping the absolute truth or portion of the truth from a child will leave them vulnerable and naive to the harshness and unfairness of the real world.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I'm going to make the radical proposal that a child should receive any and all information that it inquires for, as accurately as it can be done. Keeping the absolute truth or portion of the truth from a child will leave them vulnerable and naive to the harshness and unfairness of the real world.
    I concur. The only reason we give silly analogies and lies to children is so they can 'understand things better'; this is even done by schools. I asked a lot of questions as a child, and didn't tend to get good (if any) answers from people, but did from books that went at length to explain things. I don't believe there are any specific age-ranges for intellectual comprehension of anything, so nothing should be hidden outright, but understanding of the universe still has to be built up properly or more advanced concepts won't make sense. Making an analogy or the like can help during the explanation of something, but shouldn't be left as the explanation itelf. If there are things people are uncomfortable discussing or with children knowing, then they should simply not be informed, not lied to.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Some things are a little too complex for young children (how do you explain terrorism to a 7-year-old?), but overall though I lean toward telling kids the truth and not hiding things from them. I don't like the idea which says that kids are stupid. You don't need to have the same education and experience as an adult to be told most things.

But then it's the most important things that usually don't get told, like why the pet bird stopped moving. I've read that until around age 7 kids don't really understand the concept of death purely based on their development up to that point. I don't know how many could be told who would really understand it and I don't know what the consequences (if any) there would be for the ones who didn't.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I could say that I want to tell my child the truth for most things but that wouldn't answer the underlying question of this thread - the question of telling the truth for the things most parents lie about.

Children aren't always kept from information because they can't understand it. As a child, you have a very innocent point of view on life. When you start to learn about death, people being truly evil for no reason, how horrible life can be, that mindset is often shattered. I see absolutely no reason to shatter that mindset at 4 years old because a child asked a question without knowing that the answer is something that could change his life. I would say that 6 or 7 years old would be around the appropriate age to start introducing complicated topics such as death, or allowing them to be introduced, depending on the maturity of the child.

This also raises the question of Santa Claus. That's a lie told by parents to give children a sense of magic in life, and tbh partly because everyone else does it. I honestly don't see any reason to perpetuate that story, but I probably will anyway. I mean, I've never heard of someone being actively hurt by being told that Santa Claus existed for the first part of their life, and I know kids. The second I learned that he wasn't real, the first thing I did? Tried to share my newfound knowledge with younger children, upsetting them and getting in trouble. Once my child is old enough to understand that other kids believe something they know isn't true, their first thought will be to tell them the truth if they're anything like me, which is certainly not how parents want children to learn about that.

As far as restricting information from children goes, I don't think I'd actively take any age-appropriate learning materials from my child, but I wouldn't just let them run free in a library and pick out any book with a pretty cover at 6 years old because they just learned to read and want to read Stephen King or V.C. Andrews because they have pretty covers.

This actually comes from personal experience; I learned some things way before I should have due to things that happened in my life, and although I can't blame my mother for it, I do regret my life changing like that when I was so young and unable to really grasp the implications of what I was being told.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • My parents always told me the truth, no matter how bad it was.

I turned out just fine... At least, thats what the voices in my head are telling me.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Telling children the full truth about everything is a touchy subject. There are a few things that are OK if they ask, such as deaths of family members, it's important that you tell them exactly what happened, why it happened, and try to be an optimist in the situation for the sake of the child.

There is another subject, however, that is much more controversial. If a 5-year-old asks you "Where do babies come from?" it's hard, at least for me, to tell them the full truth about sex. Quite simply, they won't fully understand at that age, because I would assume at that age that they don't know about the opposite gender's genitalia.

Also, it can be very hard for a parent to tell their child that they don't have enough money for certain things. Parents want to be able to give everything they can to their children, so it's very difficult to tell them that you don't have the money. Parents very often go without so their children can have more. I know this because my mother has done so on several occasions when I was younger. This can be avoided, however, by attempting very early on to explain to the child in a way that they will understand that you will try to get them what you can, but there will be times where you can't.

Bela

Banned
    Years
  • During my upbringing, I had a few complaints about the way my parents raised me, but I liked their handling of information. They did not give me a philosophical or ideological agenda, they simply answered the questions I asked, without restricting me from any information.

The general question is; how much children be told the truth? Is it ever the right thing to lie to a child? Is it right thing to withhold the truth from a child, without outright lying? Should the information a child can access on its own be restricted? Is there a specific age for a child to hear the truth or be able to fathom it?

I love you for writing this and completely agree.

Attempts to suppress information on the notion that the child can't understand is an arrogant presumption that is not tested, so long as the information is not imparted.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I find it unnecessary to lie to children; there isn't really anything that they can't handle by the time that they're 6 or 7. If you think that your child woud be unable to hande such information, you can prepare them for this, rather than feeding them false information, like, as Bela said, on the notion that the child won't understand.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    In theory, yes it would be nice to be able to tell children the truth about everything.

In practice, you can't really predict how any child will react to information. Every child is different, some need to be raised differently to others. Some can handle certain subjects at a very young age, some still can't handle it when they're much older.

Although I do agree that children shouldn't be lied to. I think children should be raised on knowledge and logic rather than made up stories and fantasies; but some things may need to be taught in a restricted way, or not taught at all until they're older, it all depends on the individual.

Although trying to hide important subjects from children for too long never works; they will either find out themselves, or hear something from other kids, which is usually a distorted version from the truth.

Lying to them or sugar-coating a subject too much is essentially just raising a child to be ignorant.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • If there's something a child needs to know, I don't see what's wrong with explaining it in a more "child friendly" manner.

I also don't think children have to be aware of everything little thing under sun. I'll be watching the news, and maybe some event happened on some street (arrest, murder, injury, accident). The reporter or correspondent will ask a random parent on the street, "How will you explain this to you child? What will you tell them?". Their kid is like two. They have a happy life, why would I have to tell them about what happened to someone down the street who they have never met before?

Anders

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    If there's something a child needs to know, I don't see what's wrong with explaining it in a more "child friendly" manner.

Yeah that's the best way to do it. Not necessarily lying to them, but tell it to them in a way that isn't too much for them to handle.

If my kid asks me something I'm going to tell them the truth about it, and I'm not going to go out of my way to censor what they see or hear. If they ask what sex is I'll say it's when two people make love to each other. I won't say "It's when you stick your penis in a vagina". If they asked where babies come from I would say it comes from a woman's womb or stomach, a term they would understand better.

I don't particularly worry about a kids innocence being taken away by answering an inquiry, I don't think it works like that. When I was a child I knew people died but it was just something I didn't care about because I was young and didn't understand the finality of it, and even if somebody described it as being the end, I don't think my world would have shattered around me.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I don't particularly worry about a kids innocence being taken away by answering an inquiry, I don't think it works like that. When I was a child I knew people died but it was just something I didn't care about because I was young and didn't understand the finality of it, and even if somebody described it as being the end, I don't think my world would have shattered around me.
    Well, with my news reporter story... I meant more like... the kid wouldn't be aware that something happened unless you specifically told them. So, why do it in the first place?

If some guy down the street got violently murdered... My child does not know this happened or know the person it happened to. I don't have to tell them about it, there's no reason to. If they ask, they again, I'd give an explanation in a child-friendly manner.

Anders

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011

Well, with my news reporter story... I meant more like... the kid wouldn't be aware that something happened unless you specifically told them. So, why do it in the first place?

If some guy down the street got violently murdered... My child does not know this happened or know the person it happened to. I don't have to tell them about it, there's no reason to. If they ask, they again, I'd give an explanation in a child-friendly manner.

I never said that I would go out of my to tell them? I didn't even respond to that part of your post.

Anders

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    Haha it's okay, I was just like 'that's not what i meant ;-;'. xD

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • Everyone deserves the truth, even children.

However, I think things like Santa are probably harmless. I never believed in Santa, but the kids I knew who did definitely felt things were more 'magical' than them. If they ask if Santa is real, just tell them he isn't -- if they're questioning, then you should give them the truth. As for things like sex, try to explain in an age-appropriate manner where possible. I don't think it's damaging to know where babies come from at a young age; to be honest, my parents didn't tell me, but I found out from a) the dictionary b) the other kids in first grade and kindergarten. I don't think my parents should've handed me the Kama Sutra, but they basically outlawed talking about sex, which of course meant I just went looking for the information at school and other places where I wasn't under my parents' jurisdiction.

I think a lot of the reason behind parental lies is because sometimes it's just hard to know how to tell the truth -- which doesn't make it right to lie.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • It ought to be up to the parents. I don't think there's a significant problem with either approach.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022

I can see where you're coming from, but you sound almost like a machine here. You sound like you're the kid's computer. I think there is a reason to preserve a child's innocence, for example, at least until they get old enough to find it out themselves on a real computer.

Now I'm curious. Does that mean you will not tell them something that isn't true? So would you or would you not tell them of childhood tales like santa claus or the tooth fairy?

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Well, I agree. Parents should always tell the truth. If they're uncomfortable or unwilling to tell the truth then they should tell them simply, "YOU ARE NOT OLD ENOUGH TO ASK THIS QUESTION OR KNOW IT'S ANSWER, AND IF YOU GO LOOKING ON YOUR OWN FOR IT YOU ARE SO DEAD!"

Either have the decency to flat out DENY AND FORBID them the answer until a later age or TELL THE TRUTH!

I don't deny the parent's right to teach their child about certain things when THEY think the child should know...but lies are stupid.

Years
  • I can see where you're coming from, but you sound almost like a machine here. You sound like you're the kid's computer. I think there is a reason to preserve a child's innocence, for example, at least until they get old enough to find it out themselves on a real computer.

Now I'm curious. Does that mean you will not tell them something that isn't true? So would you or would you not tell them of childhood tales like santa claus or the tooth fairy?

That.

Good parents will know when and what to tell their children. Children need that time of innocence and that carefree world view for a time. Then, a good parent gradually reveals more and more of how the world works. Growing up is a transition, you don't pile things on. It's supposed to be gradual.

Back