• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Stay away from my school, you can't swim

Red vs Blue (Basculin)

• Total voters

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    550Basculin_Red_Stripe_Form_Dream.png
    550Basculin_Blue_Stripe_Form_Dream.png
    ...school of fish, that is!

Basculin

In the games you'll notice there are two formes of Basculin, a red version and a blue version (as seen above).

→ Which is your favourite design and why?

→ Would've you preferred if they designed two different fish, rather than just have two mostly version exclusive fish that are exactly the same in everything except design?

→ Would you swap around the Basculin, for example, have the blue version appear the most in Black, and the other way around?

→ And how'd you feel if they were completely version exclusive and that you needed to catch both in order to fill your Pokedex? (Ignore that there would be 157 Pokemon, but rather concentrate on the fact that they would have basically the same stats, but yet would be exclusive)

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • → Which is your favourite design and why?
    The blue one because of the way its eye is designed

→ Would've you preferred if they designed two different fish, rather than just have two mostly version exclusive fish that are exactly the same in everything except design?
    They remind me of Shellos and Gastrodon and I liked that idea so I liked this idea

→ Would you swap around the Basculin, for example, have the blue version appear the most in Black, and the other way around?
    It really doesn't matter to me since I have both of them anyways

:t354:TG

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Which is your favourite design and why?
    I'd have to say the red forme Basculin. The blue one just seems creepy to me. :(

Would've you preferred if they designed two different fish, rather than just have two mostly version exclusive fish that are exactly the same in everything except design?
    I think I would have preferred if GameFreak designed two different fish or at least have the two differ from each other stats-wise. Having the same kind of fish with no opposites between them other than their design just isn't interesting. GameFreak probably could have made two better Pokémon if anything as well.

Would you swap around the Basculin, for example, have the blue version appear the most in Black, and the other way around?
    Not really, I'm pretty glad I see the red striped Basculin more often than the blue, for the same reason of its design being pretty creepy.

And how'd you feel if they were completely version exclusive and that you needed to catch both in order to fill your Pokedex? (Ignore that there would be 157 Pokemon, but rather concentrate on the fact that they would have basically the same stats, but yet would be exclusive)
    I actually would have liked them to be version exclusive. Honestly, having one of them appear in water puddles while the other can be found within any part of water is pretty much boring to be honest. I'd rather a different Pokémon be found commonly in the water puddles than one form of the Basculin too.

Miyako

Rolling~♥~Bubbles
    Years
  • → Which is your favorite design and why?
    The blue one, because he looks more calm then the red one.

If they did that, they would be this versions' Plusle and Minun. Prefabley I wouldn't want that but really I wouldn't care too much.

I don't really care, I've got both games.

→ And how'd you feel if they were completely version exclusive and that you needed to catch both in order to fill your Pokedex?
    I've never tried to fill the Pokedex. ^^;;

Years
  • Which is your favourite design and why?
    I would have to go with the blue one, the red one looks like its going insane or something.
    Would've you preferred if they designed two different fish, rather than just have two mostly version exclusive fish that are exactly the same in everything except design?
    No, I like having more then one design for a pokemon, makes them seem more realistic that their considered one pokemon but have slight diffrences between them.
    Would you swap around the Basculin, for example, have the blue version appear the most in Black, and the other way around?
    Eh, doesnt really matter to me at all. Though I guess having them appear equally in both would have been nice.

And how'd you feel if they were completely version exclusive and that you needed to catch both in order to fill your Pokedex? (Ignore that there would be 157 Pokemon, but rather concentrate on the fact that they would have basically the same stats, but yet would be exclusive)
    Well that would be a pain in butt and rather annoying as far as I'm concerned. I really do enjoy the slight morphological differences between same species of pokemon.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I prefer the Red-striped Basculin. The Blue-striped Basculin is common in White version...

If they were version exclusive I would try to do it to fill my Pokedex.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    → Which is your favorite design and why?
    The red one, the blue one looks sneaky and I like the fins of the red one better.

I wouldn't have cared, really. Maybe if they had an evolution so they'd be useful, but now, not really.

It wouldn't have really made a difference, my friend with whom I play the game, has the other version. Though in my version, the red one is less common, sp when I caught one, I was happier with it than I would have been if it would have been common.

→ And how'd you feel if they were completely version exclusive and that you needed to catch both in order to fill your Pokedex?
    I would have been able to get the other one easily, so I would have been okay with that.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • My feelings on both Basculin is they are more of different formes like said Unfezant, since I think they should have made Basculin different genders Blue(Male) and Red(Female). I really don't prefer one over the other. Too me it seems like a standard pokemon that could be expanded on, I see potential for Generation 6 for it. Two separate evolutions anyone? Then yes you would need both too complete the dex if they were ever the case.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • Which is your favourite design and why? Blue, because it looks more menacing.

everything except design? Nah, I think it's fine.Would've you preferred if they designed two different fish, rather than just have two mostly version exclusive fish that are exactly the same in

Would you swap around the Basculin, for example, have the blue version appear the most in Black, and the other way around? Yes. Blue Basculins for teh winz. lawl.

And how'd you feel if they were completely version exclusive and that you needed to catch both in order to fill your Pokedex? Their catch rate is surprisingly low (about 4% catch rate with regular pokeball at full health & no status), so I would be a bit annoyed.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • → Which is your favorite design and why?
    I have a hard time deciding which Basculin form I like best, but I kind of like the blue Basculin because of its eyes.

I'd like it if Basculin was 2 separate Pokemon because not a lot of fish Pokemon were created in Gen V.

I don't really care, since I like both of Basculin's forms.

It doesn't matter.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    The Red-Striped form. The Blue-Striped form looked too soft.

Maybe, but... it's called different forms. Not sure how it would work like that... if it's drastic, that is.

I won't.

→ And how'd you feel if they were completely version exclusive and that you needed to catch both in order to fill your Pokedex? (Ignore that there would be 157 Pokemon, but rather concentrate on the fact that they would have basically the same stats, but yet would be exclusive)
    I would feel indifferent, since I'll just chuck mine into the GTS... and wait for a trade to proceed in that case.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I like Basculin ^.^ I do think that they deserve better stats, and I would have also rather have seen two different fish (not enough fishies imo in B/W). I think the red one looks better, and there fore the blue one should have been a shiny version, with a different, more friendly fish in the blue Basculins place. And I really would't want to swim in piranha infested water.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2011
    I prefer the Blue one, I suppose. I just prefer it's more slit-like eyes, they make it look a little less cartoony than the Red design.
    I'd definitely have preferred if they made it something like Shellos in DPPt; well, in terms of there being two very visually different designs. I don't think the two Basculin forms are different enough to each other to be ssignificant in any way- I think they would have bween as well off just making one, really.

Well, no. But that's only because I don't see much of a point behind it in the first place. Basculin doesn't even have an evolved form, so having two 'different' forms seems needless to me, and so I would't feel the need to switch them around. :)

Annoyed. My entire post has shown how not-bothered I am by the two separate forms, so I'd consider that unnecessary work for something like the dex.

Years
  • Which is your favourite design and why?
    - the red-stripe, for its rounded eyes. blue-stripe looks too 'i c wut u did thar, har har'.
    -no, bad enough that Alomomola is no evo of Luvdisc.

- would only like the stripe colors swapped, like a blue-eyes, red-stripe.

And how'd you feel if they were completely version exclusive and that you
    needed to catch both in order to fill your Pokedex? (Ignore that there would be 157 Pokemon, but rather concentrate on the fact that they would have basically the same stats, but yet would be exclusive)
    -already is that way, in a sense, due to the 'Dex now tracking gender, forme, shiny.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I like the red ones design better, the main reason being the the red makes it look more aggressive and I don't like the look of the blue ones eye, it doesn't suit it. I would've preferred two different fish, they could have been one female, one male or something. It'd help with the lack of water types. Nah, I'm not really fussed which version they appear in. I think it would be a better idea, mainly because I have both the games. :3

Back