• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I hate Team Names

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2012
    .::Introduction::.​
    Hello PC regulars, I've been working on a team based on Mixed Virizion for a week or so now. I was inspired to use this idea by this post and while it hasn't been absolutely stellar, I can certainly say it isn't terrible.

I based this team around the style of bulky offense. The point is try to weaken the opponent's team with hazards and my other pokemon so Virizion can come in and clean up the rest of the team. With a life orb, Virizion has extremly powerful attacks and is capable of muscling through common attackers such as Breloom and Heatran.

I generally ladder around Mysidia abit and I was able to hit 1150 CRE within about 8 battles.

--------------------------
    Team Building
    --------------------------

First of all, the format I had in mind for my team was like this.

-Hazard Supporter
    -Spin blocker
    -Heavy bulky hitter
    -Hazard Supporter/(Physical/Special) Wall
    -Late game Cleaner
    -Offensive sweeper with priority

I based this team on Virizion, as you could have seen from the introduction.
    640.gif

Secondly, I wanted a pokemon that could support Virizion's sweeps by taking out counters such as Lati@s and spDef Jirachi. Scizor does an excellent role in taking out Specs Latios and CM Roar Latias. I also added Jellicent who works as an excellent spin blocker and is capable of taking on Jirachi.
    640.gif
    ¬
    212.gif
    ¬
    593.gif

Now I wanted pokemon who could set up hazards which greatly aids in Virizion's ability to sweep. Skarmory is an excellent wall who helps me set up hazards as well as taking on Haxorus outrage's and Conkeldurr's spamming bulk up. Heatran was the second supporter, being able to use stealth rocks and having an amazing support movepool.
    640.gif
    ¬
    212.gif
    ¬
    593.gif
    ¬
    227.gif
    ¬
    485.gif

Finally, I wanted a pokemon who can take hard hits and set up on the majority of the metagame to keep this team from falling to extreme offense. Reuniclus fits the bill and found a spot on my team.
    640.gif
    ¬
    212.gif
    ¬
    593.gif
    ¬
    227.gif
    ¬
    485.gif
    ¬
    579.gif

After some careful consideration, I have decided to try out SpDef Jirachi over Scizor.
    640.gif
    ¬
    385.gif¬
    593.gif
    ¬
    227.gif
    ¬
    485.gif
    ¬
    579.gif
    ¬
    385.gif

And with that done, it's time to take a closer look at the team.

-----------------------------
    In-Depth Look
    -----------------------------

485.gif
    leftovers.png

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Lava Plume
    - Roar
    - Toxic
    Description
    Heatran starts off the team by setting up Stealth Rock at the beginning at the match. Stealth rocks is vital to this team, allowing Virizion, Scizor, and Reuniclus to nail some KOs they otherwise couldn't. Specially defensive Heatran has a few uses. Heatran helps absorb fire attacks and dishes back lava plumes which, while don't ohko, will hurt your pokemon and has a chance of burning. Toxic is used to cripple bulkier tanks, such as Ninetales and Politoed, while Roar is great for phazing and racking up Stealth Rock and spikes damage.

Heatran is also amazing for taking just about any sun threats in the metagame. He takes out Volcarona by using Roar so Volcarona will ac***ulate Stealth Rock damage. It's important to keep Heatran away from sand sweepers such as Excadrill and Landorus, especially considering that Heatran lacks an air balloon and doesn't invest in physical bulk. Heatran also works as a temporary check to Lati@s.

640.gif
    Bag_Life_Orb_Sprite.png

Virizion @ Life Orb
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 192 Atk / 64 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Work Up
    - Giga Drain
    - Close Combat
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    Description
    While at first it may seem gimmicky, this set isn't shabby at all. It forgoes Calm Mind's special defense boost so I can run the much more reliable Close Combat rather than Focus Miss. EVs may be a bit confusing; however, they allow me to OHKO Scizor with Close combat assuming there is 1 layer of spikes and Rocks on the field. Life orb is superior to Leftovers because Virizion lacks raw power, and Life Orb gives Virizion a ton of power. Giga Drain helps recover the lost health from Life orb as well as letting me beat bulky waters. Hidden Power[Ice] is pretty self explanatory; it lets me take out Dragonite, Salamence, and Gliscor.

This set struggles against Lati@s or any type of flying type pokemon that isnt weak to Hidden Power [Ice] (see: Skarmory). To solve this problem, I use a Scizor which has many opportunies to set up and helps Virizion weaken enemies with its priority. Scizor also lets me beat Gengar, which completely walls Virizion.

593.gif
    -
    leftovers.png

Jellicent (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Recover
    - Taunt
    Description
    Jellicent is one of, if not, the best spin blocker in the current metagame. Honestly, this thing beats just about all of the pokemon that set up hazards and is a great check to Scizor and company. EVs allow me to outspeed 24 speed Skarmory and the rest is invested in defense and HP. Taunt is essential to stop boosters from setting up and also stops hazards. Scald can get a lucky burn and is generally an attack you spam on just about anything. Will-o-wisp is for a more reliable burn rate.

Jellicent's role is to stop spinning from common spinners like Hitmontop and Starmie to an extent. Hazards support Virizion too much and it would be bad if they were removed from the field.

227.gif
    -
    leftovers.png

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Roost
    - Brave Bird
    - Whirlwind
    - Spikes
    Description
    I've found Skarmory to be absolutely terrific for setting up spikes. This is the standard set for Skarmory and is simply outstanding. Skarm finds many opportunities to set up Spikes and is almost never unable to get at least 1 layer up. Roost provides reliable recovery, while Whirlwind is great for phazing. Brave Bird is so Skarmory isn't complete taunt bait and can hit fighters fairly hard.

Skarmory's main use is tanking strong dragon attacks and then proceeding to whirlwind them away. Strong pokemon like Conkeldurr are also handled by Skarmory.
    579.gif
    -
    leftovers.png

Reuniclus (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Psyshock
    - Recover
    - Focus Blast
    Description
    Calm Mind Reuniclus is simply outstanding. It sets up a ton of pokemon in the metagame including but not limited to: Swampert, Rotom-W, Mienshao, and Conkeldurr. I prefer Psyshock over Psychic to help me beat Blissey and Chansey but I'm starting to doubt it's usefulness in comparison to psychic. Focus Blast provides coverage and hits Tyranitar. Calm Mind lets Reuniclus (be completely beaten by crits) boost is special attack and spDef so he can take harder hits and dish out a bunch of damage.

Reuniclus is most important for checking common fighters like Conkeldurr, which can potentially beatt his team if Skarmory is beaten. Reuniclus also can sweep consistently and generally does not faint.

385.gif
    -
    leftovers.png

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 220 SDef / 36 Spd
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Iron Head
    - Body Slam
    Description
    Having replaced Scizor, I can say that Jirachi is still used by many people, and just as consistently. Special defense Jirachi is hard to get through, and provides Wish support for all the pokemon. Iron Head and Body Slam essentially give me free turns, through paralysis and flinch. Jirachi takes on Lati@s better than Scizor and can beat all of the threats that Scizor can.

Jirachi has a ton of special bulk and shrugs off surf's and shadow ball's like they're nothing. It can then proceed to paraflinch the foe to death. However, I have to be wary of sand sweepers, or else I may lose Jirachi.
    ----------------------------------------
    Removed Members:
    ----------------------------------------

Spoiler:

OFFENSIVE THREATS
    462.gif
    I'll definitely say this team isn't perfect, first of all. Magnezone can take out Skarmory and Jirachi with it's trapping ability and will severely dent my core. It can also beat Jellicent, and my only answer is setting up with CM Reuniclus or using Virizion.

637.gif
    Volcarona with Hidden Power [Ground] can be a problem but otherwise, special defense Heatran can counter it, so it's not so big of a problem.

186.gif
    038.gif
    248.gif
    Rain Hyper Offense can pretty much decimate me should Jellicent and Virizion faint. Considering that I don't have weather, I also have to be wary of sun and sand offense, although they aren't as much of a problem.

642.gif
    Thundurus is a problem. It's NP set can decimate just about every pokemon on my team except Jirachi. I also have no means of revenge killing it.

530.gif
    Excadrill can clean this team up if Skarmory is weakened enough. The set I'm thinking about is the Adamant LO variant. It deals massive damage and with a few lucky flinch hax, can beat Skarmory.

003.gif
    Venusaur can sweep me if it runs Mixsaur and has earthquake for Heatran. Otherwise, it's not much of a problem but it's still a notable threat.

639.gif
    Terrakion beats my team pretty badly and Skarmory doesn't like taking +2 Close Combat's. I can only hope that Virizion wins the speed tie and KO's with Close Combat.
    DEFENSIVE THREATS
    149.gif
    Honestly, I don't find stall or defensive threats to be much problem. The only notable one is Dragonite, specifically the Parashuffler and Bulky DD. Even then, Dragonite isn't much of a problem, with Skarmory being able to phaze it out.

-------------------------------
    Importable

Spoiler:

Conclusion

That's more or less the end of this RMT. Thanks for taking the time to read and have a nice day!

...Oh, one more thing.

RAINBOW

Years
  • Yessss Strong Users returning to PC. Anyhow, hello Cycle, this is a very cute team.

Firstly, I think giving a Shed Shell to your Skarmory would absolve your Magezone problem, as you don't need Lefties all that much, considering you have Roost, and being able to freely switch out would be much better, in this instance. Jirachi shouldn't really have problems with Magnezone, as once you get Paralysis, you can pretty much spam Iron Head until it dies, although the SubCharges ones are a bit annoying for Jirachi.

An air Balloon on Heatran might not be a bad idea since it gets Wish support from Jirachi anyways, and then it would be able to take out Venusaur or Volcarona easily, as long its Balloon isn't broken. Protect over Toxic is another choice for Heatran since it can scout for Earthquake, that way. Other than that, nice team and I love your Virizion set, but I'd consider running hasty to take advantage of Virizion's great Special Defense stat.

Back