• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would it bother you?

BareBones

The kids are all messed up.
Years
  • After reading the ♀Gender Game♂ on the trivia section of the forums I got curious about something.

I know some people who get very, very offended about being called the wrong gender, and at the same time I know some people who don't care much about it. So my questions to you are;

If someone mistakes you for the wrong gender online, does it bother you?
    If someone mistakes you for the wrong gender offline, does it bother you?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • If someone mistakes you for the wrong gender online, does it bother you?
    No, because different people think I'm a different gender. I usually just tell people to call me whatever they feel comfortable with. So if you think I'm a girl, then okay, call me a girl. If you think I'm a boy, then okay, call me a boy. Simple as that.

While my gender in person is quite clear and obvious, I really don't care if I'm called he or she. I used to, back when I didn't look my gender so it wasn't very obvious, but I don't know...to be honest, I am comfortable being called either or. However, if I had a significant other that was calling me the opposite of what I am, I would probably be offended. It's different with someone special, you know?

This in mind though, I don't really have any gender identity issues or anything. It's just not something that bothers me.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    If someone mistakes you for the wrong gender online, does it bother you? no. i actually find it amusing!
    If someone mistakes you for the wrong gender offline, does it bother you? only over the phone, but i can understand why people mistake me for a woman. when i talk over the phone, i tend to have this overly polite tone that you would expect from a grandmother. that's really the only time someone confuses my gender. if someone thinks i'm a girl otherwise then they need their eyes checked, i'd say!

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    It annoys me a lot. I've been mistaken for a boy several times, once by somebody who'd already known me for a while.
    That I hate. When I was about seven or so, my haircut often led people to believe I was a boy. It doesn't happen anymore, thankfully.

BareBones

The kids are all messed up.
    Years
  • Oops, looks like I forgot to add my own answers! That was awfully silly of me.

Not at all. I find it quite funny when people do. I have no issue if people would rather call me male or female.

Again, not really. It happens quite often - I'm rather androgynous in both appearance and attitude. It used to bother me, when people first started to call me the wrong gender, but now I'm quite used to it.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Meh, it's not like real life so I don't care.

Psh yeah. I look too masculine to look like a female... unless they were blind. But yeah my voice is deep also so there's no reason they should think I'm a girl...

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    >If someone mistakes you for the wrong gender online, does it bother you?
    Νah, I guess I'd be fine. It never happened, though-or at least nobody told me that, so I guess I haven't experienced it either.

>If someone mistakes you for the wrong gender offline, does it bother you?
    One has to be too short-sighted to mistake me for a girl. Therefore, it never happened in real life, either, but I guess if it did I'd be a little bothered. I'd probably tell them "u mad" or something.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    No because I don't tend to act overly feminine in my posting. Nor to I ever change my gender to confuse people.

No, I really don't really have female or much female qualities about me. I think I have only been mistaken for a girl once and that was either at the end of last year or earlier this year when an old lady sad miss you dropped something cause I had long hair for my standards and apparently hers as well. So I just smiled and said "Thanks but I am a guy *chuckle*".

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2011
    Nope, it'll be hard for someone to think i'm a guy
    Of course! But that would probably be a joke :)

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    Not at all. A username and an avatar is very little to go on when determining gender over the Internet. I just correct them and laugh it off.

It used to. It's only happened to me once, and that was because I was calling out to someone from behind a bus seat. My voice is neither deep nor annoyingly high-pitched, so I could see how someone might not recognize my gender right away. These days I wouldn't be bothered by it; I would only suggest that whoever makes such a mistake face-to-face should get their eyes checked, because visually I'm pretty damn feminine.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • I hate it when people think I am a dude. What's the deal with that? Am I subtly giving off the wrong impression somewhere?

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Online, not at all. I'd find it kind of funny, actually. Offline, I would be offended, yeah. I like to think that I'm pretty obviously female and anyone who thinks otherwise clearly needs their eyes checked or something. XD It's never actually happened to me before, nor is it something I worry about anyway.

Years
    My username rules out that possibility, but if it actually happens, I don't care and I will correct them.

Again that possibility tends to null, seeing as I actually have the qualities and features of an actual man. Nothing in my appearance, behavior or voice may lead someone to believe otherwise.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I can't imagine how anybody could possibly confuse my gender irl, so I'd probably just laugh at them for being blind. lol

Online, It'd still be pretty tough to confuse me with a girl, but I guess if someone didn't know me, and heard me talking about a guy or something, they might assume I was a girl.

(Sorry I did them backwards. lol)

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
    Nah, in fact, I would laugh hysterically at it. XD Partially because I constantly misinterpret people's genders, so it would be funny to have it happen to me. ^__^

I don't see how someone could...so if someone did, I would probably laugh it off, again. ^__^ Either that or think someone needed their eyes checked...>__>

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
    Years
    It doesn't bother me; it's the internet, and I laugh about it.

It's not difficult to confuse me with being a girl. I actually enjoy it some, one reason being that I don't aim to look masculine. Heck, I'd sometimes confuse myself if it weren't for my clothes and third leg.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
    Yes o.o I'm nothing like a guy, my username + avatar are so girly and my profile is really girly too :/

It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to mistake my gender offline as my voice is quite high pitched and sound nothing like a guy's and I look nothing like a guy @_@ But yeah, if someone ever called me a guy I'd probably skin them alive and break their arm or something like that.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Online? It used to bother me a lot when I was younger. Now it just amuses me cause I'm very so obviously female that I can't quite fathom how they came to think of me as male.

Offline? If it ever happened I think it would bother me, because again- so very obviously female. But the reason it would bother me offline is that offline we are judged more on physical appearance than attitude and behaviour, and if you're thinking I'm a boy... gosh you must be like... blind. I dunno, it's almost offensive to me that you would call me male. I revel in my blatant femininity.

Years
  • Honestly I don't mind if someone mistakes my gender as a female online. I like to think of myself as both male and female anyways. In real life, well I tend to come off as more of a guy though so I would be more surprised if I were to mistaken for a female. I mean one time since I had my hoodie on I was mistaken for a girl, not like I cared to be honest. xD

Back