• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Virtual PC

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Imagine in a few years, virtual technology has been developed, allowing people to appear as themselves on the Internet, like in Futurama. Every household is given the equipment to use this virtual technology. Serebii and Bulbapedia (not all websites have) already have upgraded to this technology, but PC has just announced it will upgrade next week. This technology is optional, you could choose to appear in your full form, or still appear in a forum form, but you can only make the choice during this week. When it comes to posts in threads, in the virtual form you'll see a board where members voice record their questions and you just respond to them. These recordings are then saved and then saved in a file for you to access later if you wish. As for discussions, they are recorded too and transcribed into text form automatically for those who chose not to visit virtual PC ever. Oh, and moderators no longer exist at all, because the technology automatically decides if content is appropriate or not. You will also be screened in terms of what you can and can't wear before entering virtual PC. Styles can also be developed in terms of the background, setting etc for virtual PC users but instead of individually choosing, they change every week and it's up to the technology to make the choice of what those styles are. You'll also never be able to see any of your past posts in a post form, but rather a monotone recording provided by the technology.

You must decide in the next week if you want all your future access to PC to be virtual or not. On the other hand, you can leave PC altogether and just contact your friends through alternate methods.

If you choose for your full form to appear you'll get to see all other PC members who opted to do this but there's a chance you'll probably converse with others who use the forum less in favour of the ones who use virtual PC. If you don't, you'll get to use PC just as you do now, but you miss out on the feeling of really being with everyone else - though you can wear whatever you want and do whatever you want and nobody cares.

What's your choice? And do you think there are any other downfalls to either options that haven't been mentioned?

And finally, would you like something like this to really happen?

Years
  • Uh, no? This all sounds purposely mundane and I think the excessive use and dependence of technology in this concept would draw the community spirit this forum would have farther away. People work together to keep this place running as it should, and they also work together on projects that turn into something quite wonderful. If that communal factor is taken away and replaced by an automated system that would control all wavelengths PC would exist upon, the sky will lose its colour and turn gray.

And at this point, I would leave.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I agree with Signomi entirely. I would leave PC if such a thing ever happened. It would destroy the entire fabric of the forum and would basically be change for the sake of change, which is something that should always be discouraged. If there is no purpose for something beyond novelty, then you should not bother with it.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    I'm pretty much with Siggy on this one. The automated moderation aspect is probably the biggest problem I can see with this scenario; as much as I distrust the human staff, I'd much rather have them than an automated system. Also, I'd actually like to be able to lounge around wearing nothing but boxers and a T-shirt when browsing a forum.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • I would love this. But I'm an extrovert, so that's pretty much why.

I love being around people, I just do. But then again, all of that automated moderation, having to listen to recordings, all that stuff would get annoying after a while, so I'd have to get used to it. But I would in the name of technological science. Wow what am I saying it's 3 am.

I'm pretty sure I'd stick around :3c

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I think that a virtual PC would be a good concept. I mean, it might be a good way to let other people know the real you and how you react to situations.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • I'd probably quit or not do it. It just seems annoying to have to listen to the voice clips and everything. I feel communication would actually be lowered somehow.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Are you kidding me? Appearing in "forum form" as an avatar like Angelic Layer or .Hack would be kickass! I could experiment with styles and image and it'd be really fun!
    :C Though if I couldn't do that I'd just leave. I'm pretty much gone anyways.. but I like to keep in touch with friends :3 And I rather meet someone in the real world than on a virtual world <3

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
    Years
  • I would love this. But I'm an extrovert, so that's pretty much why.

I love being around people, I just do. But then again, all of that automated moderation, having to listen to recordings, all that stuff would get annoying after a while, so I'd have to get used to it. But I would in the name of technological science. Wow what am I saying it's 3 am.

I'm pretty sure I'd stick around :3c

This basically, I'd really like that if it happened. And I could totally show off my dashing good looks etc to random people around the world that's totally great xD

So yeah if this happened I'd almost definitely do it. If there's an option to switch back and forth between the two I certainly would - If I didn't like it I wouldn't have to do it~

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Nica, you're really stretching the boundaries of OVP this time

I would give the thing a try, but I reckon within a week I would leave. It would just become too weird for me, too... futuristic, if you will. I like he idea of PC being a simple place to kick back and type whatever you want, voice recording everything takes the fun out of it for me, to be honest. Leave that stuff to Skype or Vocaroo.
    Plus, everything being automatically moderated? Hell no, goodbye!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • No, thanks. I like the anominity of the forums as-is... such an "innovation" would make me feel very uncomfortable with staying here and I would not use it.

Plus, if voice activated phones are any indication, my posts would be all messed up due to the voice recognition technology. And I would much rather have humans moderating the forums than some computer program.

And let's face it, IRL I'm just not that attractive :/

Ayselipera

No thanks. I usually sit here in towels or stupid pajamas. Not exactly a glamour shot for everyone to see. Plus I like the idea of everyone being as anonymous as they want to be. The voice recording part would be sort of fun although not always practical when everyone is around me.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • Eh... I don't want weirdos to see me on here, so no. I'd probably be gone by the time this would happen anyway.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I spend most of my time on PC not in my room or in an area where it would be impractical to be "in" PC. That's one of the things I like about it - I can access PC for 10 min, go do some homework, come back, etc. I would hate to lose that.

Plus if I was ousted of my mod position for some dumb computer I would be mad. :(

Back