• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7 year old defends himself, accused of sexual harassment

Zet

Years
  • A 7-year-old boy has been accused of sexual harassment after punching a fellow first-grader in the groin, but the boy's mother says he was acting in self-defense.

Tasha Lynch told The Boston Globe that her son, Mark Curran, was being choked during the Nov. 22 incident on a school bus, and has been afraid to go back to school in South Boston ever since.

"I think my kid was right to fight back [after he was choked],'' she said. "He wasn't doing anything except protecting himself.''

A spokesman for the Boston public schools confirmed the incident had been classified as possible sexual harassment, but declined to comment it. Curran faces suspension or being transferred to another school if his actions are deemed to be sexual harassment, according to a letter from his school.

"Any kind of inappropriate touching would fall under that category,'' school spokesman Matthew Wilder said to The Globe. "The school administration is conducting a full investigation that has not concluded yet. Certainly, once that investigation is through, we'll then make a final conclusion as to who will be disciplined and how.''

Boy took his gloves, choked him, kid says
    Lynch said she could tell her son was upset when she picked him up from the bus stop after school on Nov. 22. She said she asked him what was wrong, and he told her another boy had choked him and taken his new gloves.

Furious, Lynch said she went up to the bus driver and demanded to know what had happened.

"He just smiled and shrugged,'' she said. She called school officials but no one got back to her, so the following week she had her older son took Mark into the principal's office to tell her, reported The Globe.

"I just thought they were going to call the parents, tell us both to come in and make the boys shake hands,'' Lynch said. Or, at least, make the other boy return her son's gloves. Instead, Tynan Elementary school officials began questioning Mark about his role in the scuffle.

"They didn't believe me,'' Curran told The Globe on Thursday. "I didn't get my gloves back.''

Tynan Elementary School Principal Leslie Gant didn't believe that Mark was acting out of self-defense, Lynch told The Globe.

"She said, 'It doesn't matter who hit who first,' '' Lynch said. "'He said he hit him in the testicles. That's assault. That's sexual assault.'"

I said: 'The kid choked my son first and that's called attempted murder. He said he couldn't breathe.'''

The school sent a letter to stating her son was accused of sexual harassment and endangering physical safety of other students.

A hearing for Curran will be held on Monday.

Lynch has told the school she doesn't want her son riding the bus without an adult there to make sure he's safe.
    source: http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...al-harassment-boy-7-accused-after-groin-punch

So when did attempted murder become a less serious issue than sexual assault/harassment? (just to be clear, I'm not saying it is a far more serious issue it's just in this case the most stupidest thing ever)

inb4livewire: stay on topic

Last edited by a moderator:

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • This is where I feel that law and all that needs to apply a little common sense. Ngl, for guys, the groin is a pretty vulnerable area so yeah if you're being attacked (especially as a kid) it's a pretty surefire way to get yourself out of it. Sometimes people need to just stop being idiots and think what the hell they're doing.

...i don't have much else to say.

So when did attempted murder become a less serious issue than sexual assault/harassment?
    A case of legit sexual assault could be more disturbing for some than attempted murder. I'm surprised, though, that you even had to ask this question, since it implies that the 7 year old was actually guilty of sexual assault lol.

lacella

monsters & macarons.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2012
    sometimes, i want to smack parents for being absolutely stupid, overemotional, and biased. she couldn't shrug it off, accept that her son was bullying him first, and make him apologize? god. WHAT HAPPENED TO PARENTS BEING MATURE AND TALKING TO OTHER PARENTS.

if anything, i'm pissed off at the parents, and the authorities for entertaining their bawwing. hopefully the judge has some common sense and sends the first family off for some family counselling - teach your son that choking people is not ok.

/endrant

So when did attempted murder become a less serious issue than sexual assault/harassment?

probably after paedophilia started busting into the limelight a few years back, i don't know. and then people all started suing people from their childhood and getting a lot of money. people attribute a lot more mental disorders to sexual harrassment than attempted murder.

...that made it sound like i was downplaying sexual harrassment, which i'm not. i just kind of took a quick look back over the years and it feels like it suddenly became popularized, i suppose. which... there's nothing wrong with that, but seriously, not everyone and their mother is being sexually harrassed. people need to settle down.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years

• Way to go, Bobby.

But anyway, parents are ridiculous. Sexual harassment? He wasn't grabbing his groin and trying to love on him or something. He punched it. I think there's a very big distinction between grabbing and punching. -sigh- I just...I don't.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Complete ********, bad school. Shame on you school, go to your room... Now.

That said, its not a matter of common sense. Its a matter of the schools regulations. Despite it not being sexual in nature, the school's regulations likely don't have clauses for cases like this.

Anyway, stuff like this isn't as rare as you think. I remember hearing about a... hmm, can't remember the specific age but I think it was 6, 6 year old kid who was accused of the same thing after he hugged his teacher. I remember seeing a list of children that were accused of sexual harassment somewhere so I'll see if I can find it. It will be good for the lulz and it will also be on topic since it will show that stupid **** like this happens a lot.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • But in all seriousness, what do people expect? We have allowed sexual misconduct to become equivalent to genocide in modern society, and this is the backlash because of it. People instantly side with anybody who claims that they were touched inappropriately, regardless of lack of evidence, but then they show disgust when something of this nature happens. Of course, this incident may be completely absurd, but it was made possible because of the witch hunt for anyone who's even thought of another human being inappropriately.

That said, I would find it utterly hilarious in a twisted way if this was taken to court. Two highly paid lawyers engaged in a high-profile legal battle... over whether or not a boy had dirty intentions when he socked another kid in the testicles.

If this flies, expect to see a floodgate of cases. Let's hope the judge won't be related to Justice Taney.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minishcap

Fecaloma
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2012
    I agree that labeling it "sexual harrasment" is quite inappropiate (they haven't even hit puberty), but at now it is just classified as possible sexual harrasment. The verdict might be something else, he might even get acquitted. We should wait until we start sending out all our Pokémon from their Poké Balls going rampant.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • If this case was about a girl being choked, responding by either kicking or punching the boy in the groin, then I am sure the school would have reacted much differently. Obviously this is a case of gender and sexuality bias. Children/teens/adults who act out in immediate self-defense should be able to make physical contact with the assailant without facing legal/disciplinary recourse.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • I agree that labeling it "sexual harrasment" is quite inappropiate (they haven't even hit puberty), but at now it is just classified as possible sexual harrasment. The verdict might be something else, he might even get acquitted. We should wait until we start sending out all our Pokémon from their Poké Balls going rampant.
    I find the use of the word "balls" in your post to be extremely offensive. My lawyer will be giving you a call.

In all seriousness, you have a point. Far too often, people forget that an accusation or investigation is not a conviction.

Years
  • It's Massachusetts. Case closed.

But in all seriousness, what do people expect? We have allowed sexual misconduct to become equivalent to genocide in modern society, and this is the backlash because of it. People instantly side with anybody who claims that they were touched inappropriately, regardless of lack of evidence, but then they show disgust when something of this nature happens. Of course, this incident may be completely absurd, but it was made possible because of the witch hunt for anyone who's even thought of another human being inappropriately.

That said, I would find it utterly hilarious in a twisted way if this was taken to court. Two highly paid lawyers engaged in a high-profile legal battle... over whether or not a boy had dirty intentions when he socked another kid in the testicles.

If this flies, expect to see a floodgate of cases. Let's hope the judge won't be related to Justice Taney.

I don't get how the state in which the incident took place is relevant or if that was just an attempt to be funny, because it was a poor one.

Either way, this is just ridiculous and the kid is extremely justified in doing this. Anyone with half a brain knows that it was an obvious act of retaliation after something terrible had just been done and they also know that they would have done the same. While you can say punching him wasn't the best option, especially considering where he punched him, but it's kind of hard to defer to telling an adult after you've just been joked. The allegations of sexual harassment are ridiculous, the kid is 7 for crying out loud, he wanted to hurt his attacker, not touch his testicles for fun.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Oh boy this is just ridiculous. When are people gonna stop being such freaking pussies about stuff like this and overexaggerating and fishing for stupid reasons? It's completely far-fetched and even the idea of a 7 year old sexually harassing someone is just ludicrous and I actually find the worst thing that they even considered that tbh.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    I can't help but feel there's a side to this story not being told. Because its hard to believe so many people could be so irrational and so stupid that they couldn't understand that the kid was defending himself when the other was choking him violently.

If there isn't more to this story, then this school should be disgraced. Its a horrible thing to do a child defending themselves.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    This doesn't surprise me at all. Schools often persecute the victim, it just so happens this particular case has gained a lot of attention. It's just one of many situations where schools have failed entirely.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • I can't help but feel there's a side to this story not being told. Because its hard to believe so many people could be so irrational and so stupid that they couldn't understand that the kid was defending himself when the other was choking him violently.

If there isn't more to this story, then this school should be disgraced. Its a horrible thing to do a child defending themselves.

There very well could be more to the story.

The bus driver said that the child was not choked. So it very well could be the case that the boy told his mother that he had been choked because he knew that he would be facing consequences for his behavior. But as you said, if the child did choke him, and the school also believes that the boy was choked, then there is no reason why this school should have harshly disciplined a victim.

Years
  • I think the central problem here is that schools have a policy where anyone who's involved is equally guilty regardless of what actually happened. Essentially, unless you just stand there and let something happen (or perhaps just put your arms up to protect yourself) you're "fighting" and just as guilty as the one who attacked you. I can understand schools taking this position. Kids fight, but you can't rely on them to tell the truth when you ask them what happened (that, or the school won't know to look into whether the attacker was actually being bullied for months by the bully they finally got the nerve to attack). It all really comes down to a lot of unsupervised kids. The only thing a school can think of to do is institute a policy that threatens any and all students who are in any way involved in a conflict (even bystanders who stop to watch). They figure that if they have this rule it justifies them not taking all the circumstances into account and they can just say: "You knew the rules and you broke them."

As much as I don't want to defend the school's decision to even go into the "sexual harrassment" territory on this particular instance, we really don't know what happened except that one kid said he was attacked and that the bus driver didn't get involved (which, if there was an attack and the driver did nothing, I think is one of the worst parts to this story - an adult not stopping a fight/assault/whatever). Like I said, you can't always trust kids to tell the truth.

Melves

up in the air.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2011
    The school is begging for a lawsuit. I hope they get it. Dimwits.

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • He's seven years old, he won't even know what "sexual assault" is!
    Seriously this is...I don't have any words...

Back