• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

VGC 2012 Rain Team - Weakness Finder

twindelphine

Pokemon Meister
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2014
This is the 3rd team I have posted in this forum. Thanks to the help of my sand team I am able to do fairly well in the competition.

Anyways back to the topic, now the team I am creating is a VGC 2012 tier Rain team. So it's a choose-4-out-of-6 double battle. Rules are the usual Item, same pokedex number clause with some legendaries disallowed (Celebi, BW mascots, Kyurem, the 4 main DPPt legendaries etc).

What I want to see is that if my team have a weakness against other teams, especially other weather, TR, Tailwind and Goodstuff. Without further ado, here are the team.

Politoed @ Eject Button
Ability: Drizzle
Nature: Quiet @ 252 HP / 184 SpA / 72 SpD
Moves:
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Perish Song

The main lead of the rain team, with the main purpose is to bring in the rain. Attached Eject Button as once Politoed got hit by a move, it can safely get out of the situation without wasting a turn to switch.

Ludicolo @ Absorb Bulb
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Modest @ 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Moves:
- Fake Out
- Hydro Pump
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam

Yes, this guy is a reference to the Pokemon Champion article for VGC 11. But I find him useful when paired with Politoed. Self-explanatory for those who read the article.

Thundurus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Modest @ 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Moves:
- Hidden Power Ice
- Thunder
- Taunt
- Rain Dance

The backup lead to Ludicolo. With dual STAB moves that can hit at 100% and Taunt (instead of Thunder Wave) to prevent opponents from setting up Tailwind/TR, it's a force to be reckoned with. Rain Dance is added to the last slot as a backup rain weather, in the case when other weather Pokemon like sand or hail changes the weather.

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
Nature: Adamant @ 252 HP / 252 Att / 4 Spe
Moves:
- Rain Dance
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

I intended this guy to be the bulky attacker, with Black Sludge, Dry Skin @ Rain and Drain Punch to keep him in the game. Another rain dance backup when Politoed and Thundurus is down.

Kingdra @ Haban Berry
Moves:
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Another Swift Sweeper. Self-explanatory, and this guy can be partnered with either Ludicolo.

Scizor @ Occa Berry
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant @ 180 HP / 252 Att / 76 SpD
Moves:
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Acrobatics
- X-Scissor

Scizor comes in handy against multiple opponents with a 4-move coverage (Steel, Fighting, Flying, Bug). Although Bug Bite may be a better choice, it is currently not possible for me to obtain it from 4th gen.

For those who have read this, I appreciate that you can offer some advise in my team. Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
FYI, Thundurus can't learn Hurricane; Tornadus can. Use Hidden Power (Ice) instead for pseudo-BoltBeam coverage.

Were you meaning to put the Occa Berry on Scizor?

twindelphine

Pokemon Meister
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2014
FYI, Thundurus can't learn Hurricane; Tornadus can. Use Hidden Power (Ice) instead for pseudo-BoltBeam coverage.

Were you meaning to put the Occa Berry on Scizor?

Thanks dude. Made it in a rush thus making a mistake.

Tsukimaru

Double battles veteran
Years
well, as far as i can see, if someone manages to beat down your ludicolo, you woul be completely vulnerable to Water absorb seismitoad.
I dont like rain teams imo cause its all the same, and the game loses the point.
You may meet a cloud nine user, so if you do and kill your ludi, i can tell you are in a big trouble mate. find something to cover that spot, and i can secure your team will be almost unstoppable ;)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Since Thundurus is uber I would recommend a Rotom-W in its place. Something along these lines IMO. I'll just put a primary offensive set although you could also try a bulky spread too.

Rotom-W - Choice Specs/Scarf
Modest/Timid
Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt/Thunder
Trick/Volt Switch
HP Grass/Ground

Sorry for not posting a EV spread BTW.

Oh yeah forgot to mention that Swift Swimmers have been banned on Rain teams in OU so I'd recommend a standard issue Ferrothorn over Kingdra and maybe Dragonite over Ludicolo as well due to the power and versatility that Dragonite offers.

In short this is what I'd recommend for your team.

-Thundurus
-Ludicolo
-Kingdra

+Rotom-W
+Ferrothorn
+Dragonite

If you wanted to go a defensive route as well I'd replace Toxicroak or Scizor with Blissey and Tentacruel even though those 2 particular pokes you have on your team right now are completely viable as well but the reason why I suggest Whimsicott as well to an extent is due to its priority Taunt and a general annoyance by spamming Leech Seed and Encore, effectively ruining most stallers especially if it Taunts on the first turn.

And Smogon should already have the EV spreads and movesets covered for the Pokes I recommended to replace the illegals on your team right now so I would recommend looking on there as well if you're unsure on what to do regarding those subject matters.

There's quite a few options to choose from when it comes to the overall strategy and playstyle of rain teams nowadays IMO, depends on whether you want to go full blown offensive or take a stall approach IMO but I hope this helps.

Last edited:

twindelphine

Pokemon Meister
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2014
I'm bringing this chat up with another team, as I have taken a while to consider this:
well, as far as i can see, if someone manages to beat down your ludicolo, you woul be completely vulnerable to Water absorb seismitoad.
I dont like rain teams imo cause its all the same, and the game loses the point.
You may meet a cloud nine user, so if you do and kill your ludi, i can tell you are in a big trouble mate. find something to cover that spot, and i can secure your team will be almost unstoppable ;)

Hoping that I can actually get some help with the new team, I decided to post here instead of creating a new thread. The team criteria is still the same, with VGC 2012 standards.

Politoed @ Iron Ball
Ability: Drizzle
Nature: Quiet @ 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Moves:
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Fling / Encore

Because of Politoed being one of the faster Pokemon amongst the weather starters, I decided to give it an iron ball to give it the advantage in the case of the opponent sending out their starters and ending up having to get their starters bring out their own weathers. Fling appears to be the odd case here, but once Iron Ball serves its purpose, Fling can be used to surprise the opponent and deal damage to it. Encore is considered as an alternate move.

Ludicolo @ Absorb Bulb
Nature: Modest @ 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Moves:
- Fake Out
- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

Usually the other half of the lead with Politoed. Giga Drain is replaced with Grass Knot so as to keep it longer in the frontline while dealing damage. Scald is used instead of Surf to inflict burn status on the opponent.

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
Nature: Adamant @ 252 HP / 252 Att / 4 Spe
Moves:
- Taunt
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out

An alternate lead and the second FO of the team. If not lead, I can switch him in if the opponent wants to use a water-type attack.

Kingdra @ Haban Berry
Moves:
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Keeping this guy in the team so I can maintain advantage with Swift Swim.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Modest @ 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
- Protect
- Dragon Pulse
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower

One of the changes that I have added to the group. Adding it adds to the Ice and Dragon-type weakness, but with smart usage, I can use this guy efficiently. Dragon Pulse & Hurricane as STAB moves, while Flamethrower is used to get rid of Ice types especially Abomasnow.

Jellicent @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Cursed Body
Nature: Quiet @ 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
- Trick Room
- Water Spout
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

The aim of Jellicent being here is to counter against TR or TW opponents. Water Spout as a STAB Rain-boosted attack.

So, how does my team look?

EDITED: To remove Rotom-W from team.

Last edited:
Back