• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I can type 60 words per minute!

Years
  • How do you type? Do you do it using two fingers, all of your fingers, or some other way? If you type using two fingers, what's keeping you from learning to type using more of them? Is it because you're satisfied with the way you type? If you type using more or all of your fingers, where did you learn to do so (self-taught, school, or)?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Generally, I type at ~80-85 wpm. Not terribly fast, but fast enough that people who aren't great with computer stare at me when I type.

I actually love to type. I volunteer to type people's papers if they need it.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • I can generally type about 50-60 words per minute. Obviously, I type using all my fingers. I first started to learn to type this way in 7th grade, and it's been being enhanced ever since.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2013
    I type around 70 words per minute. I had originally taught myself, although now this year we have to take typing lessons in one of my business classes.

We just started learning 10 key typing (on the numeric keypad). and I'm not too good at that yet. I make a lot of mistakes. xD

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • I can easily hit 90wpm, sometimes going up to 100 but that's typically when I have a "typing mood." I generally average about 94.

I use all of my fingers except my left thumb. Right thumb is used for spacebar (which means I only use 4 fingers in each hand to type out letters). I can never look at the keyboard while I am typing. I'm actually slower at typing when I do so.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Last time I actually tested it was in 7th grade, and I was at 115 wpm or so. Although I kinda think I'm slower now than I was then... then again I hate the keyboard I'm using now. It's really difficult to use for some reason. (I probably pressed backspaced around 20 times just typing this.)

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I get anywhere just under 100 or a bit over depending on which keyboard I'm using and what I'm talking about. I type faster on my desktop than my laptop, numbers and symbols are a bit awkward on the smaller keyboard. Typing classes were pretty mandatory at school in my area, I had 3 years of it.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • 70 at the most I guess. I have learned the proper typing thingy, but i don't apply it. Four finger is all I need. My left and right index finger, my left thumb for the shift, caps lock, and tab. and my right thumb for the spaces.

Years
  • I don't know how many words I type per minute as I have the tendency to do far worse than usually in these tests. To determine that, I would have to know what I'm going to write before I write it, not think of it while writing it as I usually do. Also, I probably could type faster than I currently can as my old (laptop-integrated) keyboard to which I am used is showing its age and not looking or working too good anymore and I'm not as used to the new (USB) one yet as much as I'd like to.

As for how I am typing, I'm still not entirely sure. But I'll try. I think I use 2 fingers for most of the keyboard but other fingers for the keys on the outer border of the keyboard. For example, I use the fourth finger of the left hand for Shift and its right counterpart for Enter. No, I don't there I use the middle finger. My right hand is the more mobile one on the keyboard, it moves around more while the left one is usually just hovering above its (smaller) part of the keyboard. While I am right-handed my left hand is a bit better at typing since the right one is often occupied with the mouse, unless I'm actually writing a text like here. When typing one handed, I divide the keyboard between all the fingers (except the thumb and the powerless fifth one) of the left hand. I do a hundred times less typos typing this way than when attempting to type with 10 fingers, but I still do relatively many. Fortunately, the middle finger of my right hand is fast when it comes to reaching Backspace. Could be worse.

Obviously I taught this to myself, and never had any typing classes. While I could have had them, regularly driving 30km (and, since I was maybe 10 or 12 or 15 or whatever when I had the opportunity, my mother would have had to drive me and then wait) just for that just didn't seem to be worth the fuel, the pollution and the time.

Years
  • 90 words per minute. Just test it on a wpm speed test. I tested it a couple of years ago and it was 70 wpm; I guess it improved.

At first, I used only one hand, now I used both my hands and all my fingers except my right thumb, which I used for the touch-space. I learned it by my own because it just seemed easier. The only thing my school helped in was giving us weekly assignments to type a large document, sometimes in school with a timer.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Thsin siwahr happens whemn oi type realt fasyt. I geyt an alofdasdy of herros and atrouvciys grammor and i sound like im wring in engrish.

My typing speed is usually about 20 wpm when I'm typing normal. Anything faster and I make lots of errors. I blame it on dyslexia.

Where did everyone get such good skills in typing from?

Years
  • Just tested mine, as Luke did, and I got 83 wpm.
    Not too bad and I made a mistake, but it is enough for me. I can normally type a tad faster when not copying something! :3​

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I type around 80 words a minute if I am going for 100% accuracy, otherwise it's around 90-100. I usually try to keep around this speed, though, so I don't have to hit backspace very often. I also type with nine fingers, with my right thumb being excluded. I use the left thumb for the space bar.

Years
  • Damn it. I got told how many words a minute I type last year when they were seeing if I should type up my exams instead of writing them.
    But whatever it was it was just over average and faster than my writing speed. I should probably test myself :3

I tend to use all of my fingers apart from my thumbs sand my little fingers. I never took typing classes though, I just sort of developed typing skills as my interest in computers grew.

Years
  • 60 - 70 wpm. I don't really pay attention, so I don't really know what fingers I'm using.
    I've been typing this fast long before I had to take a class that had typing lessons, which didn't really do anything.

I just took a test and got 73 wpm. I'm using a really old keyboard (from the 1990s). I wonder if a newer one would help somewhat.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
  • 86 WPM with little to no mistakes made, without looking at the keyboard (I know this is my average WPM because that's what got me an award in my applied computer class last year). However, this is when I go freestyle rather than have my thumbs on the spacebar and my other fingers on the default keys. In my case, after having typed this way for so long I've pretty much self-consciously memorized where the keys are and so I don't have to look at them while going freestyle. I might also do two fingers (or one hand) every now and then, but it depends on the position of my laptop.

I've tried the asdfjkl; method, but it just doesn't work for me. Maybe it's 'cause of my arms, maybe it isn't. Nonetheless, I feel most comfortable going freestyle.

Edit: Took some test and got 79 WPM, though I don't think it was accurate 'cause it used words uncommon to the English language :/ (I guess you could say I do slow down when I have to type something foreign, 'cause spelling.)

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I had typing classes provided by school when I was younger and I type correctly with all 10 fingers. I have no idea how many characters per minute because at the time I passed I wasn't nearly as good as I am now and it changed a good bit. I remember doing a test in school and at one point it got up to 1028 characters per minute iirc but I have no idea how many words that is haha.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I type weird it seems like I use six fingers since I do not use my pinkie's at all. I've had typing lessons three times in my life and it feels weird to do it they way you're supposed to so I just type the way I do.

:t354:TG

Back