• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You don't know Pokemon?!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    You made a new friend that has never been involved in Pokemon, but wants to be. How do you introduce them?

Keep in mind that there are a few different ways to introduce someone to the franchise...

tumblr_lmv42sIqVo1qbjq2q.jpg

Anime
    If you want to introduce them through the anime, which season would you start with? Would you give them any background on it?

Pokemon_red_box.jpg

Games
    If you introduce them through the games, which generation would you start with? Would you throw them all the way back to the Gameboy Color (supplying one if they didn't have one to play it on), or would you be satisfied with the remakes, or would you not start them on Generation 1 altogether?

230px-Wikipokespe.jpg

Manga
    If you introduce them through the manga, which arc would you start with? Would you pick out the best of the best and have them read those? Would you show them a good selection of various manga, or only the most popular one (PokeSpe)?

Would you take their preferences into consideration when choosing how to introduce them, or is there one way that's the best for everyone?

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    they can't be my friend if they don't know pokemon!!!

But basically, since the games where there first, I'd show them the games first, in their order. I wouldn't want someone to get to know gen 5 before gen 1 if I had a say in that, because then they might form a different opinion on it than they would when getting to know the games the "natural" way, in order, the way it's supposed to be imo at least, because I think that they would need to know about the first gen and have an opinion on that first, to be able to form a solid one on the following gens.

I'd probably show them the anime after that, by then they'd know the story (from gen 1) and that Pikachu is the mascot, etc. Since I've never really read the manga or got involved in it I wouldn't really be able to introduce that to them but I would at least mention it in case they were interested.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Actually, I wouldn't introduce them at all xD THey would think me weird for liking pokémon :x But if I wanted to, I'd probably do it the least nerdy way - the games ^^ Almost everyone who's been a kid in the 90's have played the first versions or at least G/S/C and it would be rather simple to explain and get them to play, rather than make them watch a kids anime or read a manga. Not many of my friends read mangas or watch anime :p

Plus, the games started it all and lead to the other franchises, and without the games, don't you think the anime would be pretty crappy? ^^

Don't forget the TCG :3 Actually, I got into pokémon from the TCG first, long before the games. Everyone in my school suddenly had cards and played and traded, even the girls. although they only wanted glittering cards and Jigglypuffs

Ritzz

Bazinga
    Years
  • I've only played the games, haven't done the cards, the anime, or the manga, so I'd probably introduce them through like FR/LG, since it starts from the beginning. Then maybe jumb to Hoenn and then the DS games.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • As a person who plays the video games, reads the manga and watches the anime, I'd introduce the newcomer to whichever they feel most comfortable with. When they get good enough in the video games, I'd also teach them about the competitive aspect of Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Since the franchise is foremostly one of video games, I'd introduce them to whatever the most current main-series game is, if anything... More likely I'd explain the premise of the Pokemon world and mostly leave them to look into it themselves — if they really want into it they'll probably get doing that already. I could answer any questions and give opinions, but only would if asked.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'd introduce them to the games, with FR/LG since it's hard to find copies of R/B with still-functioning internal batteries, or systems that can play them (even the original GBA units are getting rare). I'd give them the basics... you raise these critters you catch as you journey throughout the land seeking power, fame, and fortune, and annihilate all foolish enough to stand in your way.

I would not even mention the anime... I want to introduce them to Pokemon, not embarrass and make the Pokemon franchise look stupid.

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
  • to be honest, i haven't met anyone who hasn't heard of pokemon! they either know it at least from the anime (considered a "cartoon" sometimes because of how well it is dubbed), or the videogame.
    but if i were to introduce someone to the franchise, someone who was probably living in another planet, i guess i'd have to go with introducing him/her to the games first. after all, it was the games that had me hooked to pokemon as well.

Renegade1

#1 Noob!
    Years
  • Throw them Pokemon Red and not say anything, let them learn and find stuff out on their own, just like I did.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    It'd really depend on their preference. If they prefer video games and can't bare to watch animated episodes, then the video games and vice versa. Pretty much the safest way to do it, since it won't hurt their feelings! lol

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I'd start them with the games, which is exactly how I started. I wouldn't start them with Pokemon Red like I did though, I'd lend them FireRed (and possibly my GameBoy Advance since if someone doesn't know Pokemon, there is little reason for them to have a handheld Nintendo device :P) and let them have at it. They'd have to learn by themselves but if they had any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them.

The good thing about the games is that they lay out the concepts and they're easy to understand and it's interactive, so you get to be part of the fun rather than just watching it. The anime (and I assume manga, though I haven't read it so I can't speak on it with any degree of authority) compliment the games very well though, so I'd introduce them to the anime shortly after.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • i would make them read the articles on bulbapedia.org first and then I would ask them afterwards which path would you like to follow first, the manga, cards, video games or anime.

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Tough question, namely because I don't have a social life outside the internet.

If I were to introduce someone into Pokémon, I'd start with the games first, starting off with FR/LG, then HG/SS, R/S/E, D/P/Pt, & finally, B/W. I feel that the very first generation is the best game for those that are just getting into it, as it actually does the best job out of all of them to teach them how the game is played. Once they get everything done in this one, they can proceed to the next generation, all the way to B/W.

For me, the games are where it's at - if I'm able to get someone into the anime or even the manga, that's gravy.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm sure I could get someone into Pokémon but it would have to be with the more recent games as they seem to be more popular today.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2012
    It all depends on what system they have really. If they have a ds, get platinum

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2012
    If someone was curious about Pokemon, I would probably introduce them to the games by letting them play a little bit of the beginning of Pokemon Black or White, and get them the game if they like it. If they don't, well, I wouldn't force them. :P

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2014
    For me, I'd introduce my friend to Pokemon by using the games first...I'd use the ones I have (if I have the old and new ones, I'd introduce my friend to the new ones, I guess. I started with HeartGold first, without starting from Diamond, Pearl or Platinum).

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'd probably introduce my hypothetical friend to HGSS as a gateway. It features Kanto AND Johto, has a lot of the features prevalent in the entire series, and would be less off-putting than giving them GSC directly, as that'd need a Game Boy/Advance, which my hypothetical friend probably would be less likely to have than a DS. Also, HGSS are the best games, so I might as well advocate Pokemon with the best it has to offer.

Back