• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why didn't they just use a fossil re-generator for Mew?

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    My question is this: Why, if the scientists in Cinnabar Island can regenerate a fossil from a dome or a shell, or especially if the Hoenn scientists can regenerate an entire pokemon from a claw or a root fossil, why didn't they just do that with the Mew fossil that was used to create Mewtwo? Or do I not remember the story correctly..?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Mewtwo was created from Mew directly. Not from a fossil. There was a pregnant Mew, and they changed the genetics of the baby Mew to make it stronger and more vicious and made Mewtwo from it. The way it was created was entirely intentional, it's not like it was revived and accidentally wasn't identical to Mew. Mew's a pacifist basically, it doesn't really like to fight and they didn't want a Pokemon that wouldn't fight.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Whoever made Mewtwo only got a hair from Mew. A hair isn't really a fossil. This is going from a separate canon from what Toujours was talking about though... I think the Pokemon Special manga version xD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • To summarize what Toujours and psyanic said, Mewtwo was cloned from a living Mew specimen's eyelash. The scientists didn't need to use a fossil regenerator because of that.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • That and as amazing as Pokemon technology is, an eyelash for instance (taking that example) probably isn't enough to reconstruct a Pokemon from as easily as an entire fossil which is what the other Pokemon fossils are implied to be like.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    We also need not forget that Mew is almost impossible to find, let alone capture in any way, shape, or form. I'm very positive that a fossil of one of them would be equally as tough to find.

BeliVuk

Pokemon Stadium 64 Player
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2012
    I'm quite sure Pokémon was intended to be a childrens cartoon show, so I don't really think they wanted it to be too complex for the kids to understand it.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    That and as amazing as Pokemon technology is, an eyelash for instance (taking that example) probably isn't enough to reconstruct a Pokemon from as easily as an entire fossil which is what the other Pokemon fossils are implied to be like.

Well I wouldn't say that. Something as small as an eyelash can contain the entire DNA of a species.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • That is true, but I would imagine a whole fossil would give scientists at the least a better understanding on the Pokemon's structure as well as what it ate, etc, which would be harder to obtain from just one eyelash. Basically, the more the better!

Ciz

La la la ♪
    Years
  • Fossilized Mew? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Mew only one of it's kind? As in the only Mew is Mew himself?

Mechanic

Shin!~ hohohohoho!~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Basically what Ciz up here said, Mew is supposed to be one and only one Mew on this earth which jumps through parallel words.

And Mewtwo is a failed experiment trying to clone Mew as a fighter instead of the Mew we are used to see all cute and running foolishly around. Remember Mew has the DNA of all pokemon in him so that's probably why... Too much data to handle???

Years
    • CA
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    Team rocket made mewtwo, specifically Blaine made him. Team rocket was trying to catch mew for this reason to create mewtwo. they some how managed to obtain its DNA (has far as i know they just had it). They need more samples of his DNA to complete mewtwo but they failed to do so. Blaine had to insert some of his DNA into mewtwo in order to complete him. Some of mewtwos DNA got mixed in with Blaines DNA and it began to mutate his right arm. Blaine and mewtwo cant be apart of they both die. At least thats what the comic stated.

Back