• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hey, I recognize that!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
  • Do you ever see video game references in the wider popular culture that you pick up on?

I'll give an example: the comic book series Scott Pilgrim (and, to a certain extent, its film adaptation) contained numerous overt references to many different types of video games. Everything from Tekken-style fighter games to Mario-esque platformers to Call of Duty is commented upon with reverence and panache.

Here's another: the episode 'Burgerboss' from Bob's Burgers. The episode sees the titular Bob buy an arcade console to attract customers to his restaurant, only to become so obsessed over getting the high score that he starts abusing prescription drugs and starts hallucinating that members of his family are the characters in the game. It's amazing; you should all watch it!

But what references have you guys seen? :D

Years
  • /shot

I actually can't remember the last one that I saw. I see loads or make a connection, even when there isn't meant to be one, but I should really remember where they are from.

I noticed the Scott Pilgrim reference you are on about though...​

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Scott Pilgrim, of course.

But, besides that I tend to pick up on the sound effects when there's someone playing a game on some TV show. Usually they don't match what they're playing.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • So... Many... Pokemon... References and Parodies...

I have noticed parodies in places like the Simpsons, South Park, Jhonny Test, Family Guy, Phineus and Ferb... There are others, just too many to mention.

I also see references in a lot of Anime, particularly ones like Lucky Star. :o

Back