• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"I NEVER WANT KIDS..." "Wait, seriously?"

Years

• Do you want kids?

I have seen and heard some people say that they 'never want kids' for various reasons.
    One thing that always crosses my mind is... "Why? How do you know at this moment in time you never want kids?"
    It is fair enough if the idea of bringing up a child you created/fostered into the world, but why do you detest the idea so much if you feel that way?

Question:
    Do you want kids? If yes, explain, if no, why not?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    inb4 Shining Raichu!

In all seriousness, having children is a huge investment in both time & money, & I can't see myself parting with both. Besides, I see them as little hellspawn that does little else outside of bawling at the top of their lungs & making like a vandal in your house.

My sister & her husband are barely capable of caring for their daughter, thus they have to rely on the help of strangers or other family members to watch her for them, & I can't see how anyone would do that unless they're either desperate or a bunch of tightwads.

Algo Fonix

oh god
    Years
  • It'll be a long time before I'd even consider the option of passing on my genes. I honestly wouldn't want a child to turn out to be a person like me... so I'm sort of leaning towards the "don't have kids" camp.

Then again, I figure I may as well leave something in the world to prove that I was ever alive.

I just can't think of it lightly. It's a huge commitment, taking on responsibility for another life. I just don't know if I'm the type of person who should be teaching a child how to be.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I did want kids at one point, but now I just figure... kids are not something that would make me very happy. I've got five younger siblings and a multitude of younger cousins, so I know how taking care of them goes. It's a hell of a lot of work. Children are also a huge drain on resources. And if I had them in the prime of my childbearing years- 20 years old to 30 or so- they'd be tying me down and creating a mess of problems. Settling down? Not for me. I want to go DO stuff. It's really hard to pick up and go places if you have to tow along kids. And I don't want to be pregnant, give birth or change diapers. Ick.

So basically, I'm too lazy and selfish to be a parent, even though I really like children. My general attitude is that they're best if they're somebody else's. It's practically a given that I'm going to be an aunt, so I can still play with them and teach them stuff. But I can do what I want, too. So it's all good.

Years
  • Nope. Never want kids. Always amuses me when someone says "Oh, but you might change your mind." Like, why do people get so insistent on this one topic? If you tell someone you don't like onions no one say "but you might like them later." It's always babies. Like they can't imagine someone actually not wanting babies somewhere deep in their heart.

And my biggest reason is just that I lack the desire to have kids. If I were ever in a position of having to make a choice about having kids I'd weigh the options and would decide not to have kids for all the financial and practical reasons since kids take over your life.

Years
  • I have a son and he's the best thing that's happened to me, but it's definitely a lot of work and not for everyone. Thankfully he's a really easygoing kid (so far) and he's an absolute joy to be around, but I'm definitely at home more than I'd like and I'm spending the majority of my day making sure he doesn't stick a fork in the socket. A lot of money and time get thrown out the window, but in my opinion, he's worth it. Just seeing that face light up every time he sees me is worth millions to me. ;)

Years
  • I've had periods of wanting them a few times, but in the end that was just because I thought the idea of being pregnant was romantic (lol....) and finally realized that probably a year ish ago. I don't think I ever want kids - they seem like they'd be cool to be with when they're older but all the work to get to that point just doesn't appeal to me. Less freedom, all the crying and whining, holding them down as they scream because they're getting shots, the money... yeah. >: That and the potential for them to grow up into rebellious teens and such is always there.

I've always preferred to be alone, so I really hope my parents don't mind that I'm likely not going to have them. I'm the only daughter from them and their sisters/brothers so my mom seemed to want me to have kids a lot when I spoke to her of it years back (where I made a silly suggestion to myself of getting my uterus removed in the future). XD;

Years
  • At this moment, hell no. I am not responsible enough and I don't have enough money to take care of a kid.

If I were in a better position for it? Maybe. But to be honest I tend to lean towards no. Not that I don't like kids; I just don't know if I'd make a good parent, ever, or if I will ever think I have enough time/money/stable household for it. I've got nieces and nephews to spoil, that's good enough for me.

Years
  • Sure I want kids, not too sure if I want them through adoption/surrogacy/whatever ways same sex couples would have kids nowadays. In a perfect world I'd want to have a kid that was both mine and my parters, but that won't happen in my lifetime.
    Ignoring that fact though, yea I'd want kids some day. Being able to bring someone up from birth and show them how the world works sounds amazing to me. Plus having something that I can love unconditionally and be proud of every achievement that they make just makes it more appealing.

Ayselipera

I have always hated children it's just as simple as that. I know I wouldn't even love my own children so no point in making them suffer xoxo.

Magdalena~

Feel the hnnnnggg
    Years
  • 1.) I can't stand to be around children
    2.) I would be a terrible parent.
    3.) See Scarf's post. Yeah, that one with the onions. Everyone always says I might want kids someday. AND I WON'T. xD

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    I feel like an explanation is needed. Being a parent and havong children isnt something you just do, you really need to think about it. Your whole life changes, it isnt just your life anymore and you dont have the freedom you once had. Its a big responsibility to raise children an provide for them, put them through school, teach them how to succeed in the world and make them responisble adults, this is all your job as a parent. This is all the reason I dont want kids, its just too big a responsibility and I have things Id like to do in my life that would be difficult if I had to raise children. Children are also loud and messy and misbehave, which is stressful, I dont want to constantly have to clean up their messes and stuff. I just dont think I have it in me to be a parent, nor do I want to, so why should i be forced to because society says its the norm? I dont hate children, I just dont want my own, I dont usnderstand why people think thats so bad. Also I dont want to be pregnant and give birth, thats another thing, it just isnt something I want to go though.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I'm a bit mixed on the subject. I mean, I think it would be great to have a kid someday, but there's all that investment into kids like the money, time, and effort. However, I can't imagine what else I'd do with my time and money anyway.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I'm still a little kid myself. I can't handle the responsibility of raising one, nor do I want to. I want to have time to play and be immature. :D

Maybe in the future I'll grow up, but I'm not looking forward to it. lol

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Yes! I absolutely adore children, and, when I can afford it, definitely will want kids. Am I being naive? Perhaps. But I really think I could handle it. If not, I'll just work at a daycare.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I do want kids! I want 1 to 4 kids (depending on what my future husband wants), and in my ideal world I would have a boy, and then a girl 2-3 years later, and then that's it, hahah.

But yes in conclusion I want kids.

Edit: as far as people who say "you'll want kids someday", I normally don't feel the need to tell people that but there are some situations where people are basing their entire life off of how they are at that moment. You don't like kids? Sure, that's perfectly fine. But you don't have enough money to support a child now so you've determined you'll never have children? Or you're too afraid of being a bad parent? If you're worried about being a bad parent, then you'll already be better than 75% of parents out there, so it makes me sad to see people set up obstacles when they do want children. :(

Sir Codin

I hardly even know what the hell is going on in the world; I can't fully take care of myself yet, let alone a child. I'm still in college, low-income, plus I'm not too fond of kids at the moment. A few of them are cool, but I few most kids as vicious little demons - I'm basing this on how much I hated them even when I was a child myself - that are a burden on your finances - I'm basing this on how much I've burdened my parents. Not to mention my wife (if I get one) would most likely have her looks shot to hell once she gave birth. Even adopting a child is out of the question for me at the moment.

So, no. I ain't having kids now and probably not any time soon. I'm spending my 20's unshackled to the responsibilities of raising a child.

EDIT: On another note, I find my signature hilariously bad (or good, I can't decide which) for this thead.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I don't want kids because I'm selfish and don't want to have to spend my money on a parasite who I'll probably physically abuse since I can't see myself refraining from hitting them upside the head with a bag of rocks if they disrespect me or do something to infuriate me. I also don't like (most) children (I know), so I'm going to justify that by saying that I don't like children in general.

Back